• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just finished today this

9780008507770-es.jpg

And it's as superb as everybody says it is. I'm a big Winslow follower, mind you. And if it's the beginning of a new trilogy. It's the Irish mob against the Italian one in New England. So an end with Mexico and back to the USA.

Edited by Bluesnik

My uncle and Ted Hughes got into lots of mischief at Cambridge, so my parents knew him and Sylvia Plath quite well. RPW was a good friend of my grandfather and I remember meeting him several times as a child. I read the Winslow-good but not as good as the narco trilogy which is top tier, IMO.

13 hours ago, mr jazz said:

My uncle and Ted Hughes got into lots of mischief at Cambridge, so my parents knew him and Sylvia Plath quite well. RPW was a good friend of my grandfather and I remember meeting him several times as a child. I read the Winslow-good but not as good as the narco trilogy which is top tier, IMO.

I met Hughes briefly in 1984 at a course on teaching creative writing. He seemed very approachable.

Is your uncle mentioned in the Hughes biography?

Edited by BillF

Just finished this:

BOOK REVIEW: A Legacy of Spies - Washington Times

It is a very fine book and it's true it connects back to The spy who came in from the cold, which I luckily had read beforehand.

Now on to this one:

Rip it up and start again · Discografías y Técnicas musicales · El Corte  Inglés

Which I like a lot. First because that music interests me very much. And second because I lived through all that when I was about 20. And it's true what Reynolds says about punk being destructive and post-punk (which the book deals in) constructive. I already said once here that I was never so much into punk, but all that came afterwards yes. Because for me post-punk was as exhilarating as 60s music. And here I agree with the author. A book I'll enjoy very much. But I don't know if I have the US or British version. I have that exact version. I know the initial British edition had a different cover, but I don't know if this is a reprint or what. A good review of when the book was published in 2005.

Edited by Bluesnik

On 8/30/2022 at 8:05 PM, Bluesnik said:

I know the initial British edition had a different cover, but I don't know if this is a reprint or what.

I have checked today and the book is a 2019 reprint of the English edition from 2005. One year later, in 2006, there was the American. On Penguin. The British is and was on Faber & Faber.

7 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

I have checked today and the book is a 2019 reprint of the English edition from 2005. One year later, in 2006, there was the American. On Penguin. The British is and was on Faber & Faber.

I deliberately sought out the UK edition when I read it a couple of years ago.  The US version is abridged and about 200 pages shorter.  It's a great book!

10 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I deliberately sought out the UK edition when I read it a couple of years ago.  The US version is abridged and about 200 pages shorter.  It's a great book!

Yes it's a great book, and I was after the UK edition as opposed to the US, because of what you said some time ago. But I ordered it from my local bookshop and didn't know what I got. Specially since the cover was different. But now I know it's a reprint of the UK edition and can be calm. But it was logical they were ordering from the UK. I'm in Europe after all.