Now reading...

Just finished Shirer's The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich. Mammoth, but essential to any student of that era.

Reading Maugham's Of Human Bondage. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

You people have good taste in books.

MusicalMarine, did you catch the piece on Maugham in a recent issue of the New Yorker? I'll see if I can find it online... I've read only THE RAZOR'S EDGE, but the NY article reawakened my interest.

I should give RISE & FALL a whirl, but I haven't even made it through THE WORLD AT WAR DVD set yet. As far as military histories, I'm hoping to find Beevor's FALL OF BERLIN 1945 at a good/used price one of these days--liked his STALINGRAD book quite a bit.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isaac Bashevis Singer - THE SLAVE

What a book! Unbelievable.

I haven't read Singer since college and forgot his juicy, sometimes wildly humorous, sometimes terrifying way of writing.

..A Jew named Jacob is taken captive by the Bogdan Chmielnicki-led Cossacks in the great massacre of the Jews in Poland and Ukraine in the 1640s when 300,000 Jews were killed in most horrible ways. His two young children and wife are murdered by the Cossacks, he himself is sold as a slave to a Polish farmer. Slowly, he falls in love with his master's widowed daughter Wanda. After years of captivity, he is bought out by the fellow surviving Jews of his shtetl...

The language of the book has many Jewish overtones, turns, stops, and u-turns; no wonder Singer wrote all his books in Yiddish.

His prose is reminiscent of Babel, but none of Babel's novellas reach the depth of Singer's novel, and Sholom-Aleihem, to which he was an equal in many ways.

I'm reading a whole bunch of things:

Larry Kart's book

Dan Morgenstern Living with Jazz

The new annotated Sherlock Holmes collection

John Le Carre's Absolute Friends

Max Hasting's Armageddon. This is a continuation of Overlord, about D Day and looks at the war against Germany, 1944-1945. If you're at all interested in WWII, you should read this.

Around the beginning of 2004 I began re-reading chronologically all Philip K. Dick's novels, and I am a little ways into UBIK now.  I am having fun with my new head.

Sounds good, but wasn't "Fun With Your New Head" by Thomas M. Disch?

Indeed it is a Disch novel (who is a favorite of mine)--but "fun with my new head" is how I feel after reading nearly 30 PKD novels in a row.

Around the beginning of 2004 I began re-reading chronologically all Philip K. Dick's novels, and I am a little ways into UBIK now.  I am having fun with my new head.

Sounds good, but wasn't "Fun With Your New Head" by Thomas M. Disch?

Indeed it is a Disch novel (who is a favorite of mine)--but "fun with my new head" is how I feel after reading nearly 30 PKD novels in a row.

I would imagine. It's sure going to feel weird when you're done and have to leave your high castle. ^_^

Around the beginning of 2004 I began re-reading chronologically all Philip K. Dick's novels, and I am a little ways into UBIK now. I am having fun with my new head.

Ubik was the first Dick novel I read. I did so because Jean-Pierre Gorin (Godard's erstwhile partner) was trying to make a movie from it. He never did, but it least introduced me to a great writer.

The first Dick novel I read was The Zap Gun; I bought it when I was 12 in the only English language bookstore in Addis Ababa. It was the Pyramid paperback with a cover of a guy with a big gun . . . . I didn't really "get" the book, but it was entertaining, and it led to me eventually buying all his books and his warping my mind. . . :huh: I write to Phil shortly before he died and told him of my journey getting and reading and digesting his books that began in Ethiopia; he said he felt that novel wasn't much, but I really think it's a great novel that had a LOT to say about the Cold War and arms races and the roots of war.

I am half finished with "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," a fascinating book by Lynne Truss. You wouldn't think that a book about misplaced punctuation could be funny--much less, absorbing, but it is.

Anyone else read or heard of this book?

My sister, coincidentally also named Lynne, has been recommending this book. I guess I'll pick it up rather soon.

I am half finished with "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," a fascinating book by Lynne Truss. You wouldn't think that a book about misplaced punctuation could be funny--much less, absorbing, but it is.

Anyone else read or heard of this book?

I read a review of it that basically said her knowledge of grammer was below average. <_< The review was amusing; haven't read the book. ^_^

Scott Phillips' The Ice Storm - Every character in this novel (with the exception of a little girl) is a total dirtbag, with no redeeming qualities. Maybe I'm abnormal, but I usually like to feel some connection with some character in a novel. (I guess if I were a total dirtbag, I might have felt some connection here.) I kept reading this because I wanted to find out what was going to happen. I finished reading it, found out what happened, and I'm sure I'll never open this book again.