Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Lincoln Lawyer--Michael Connelly

Has anybody read any of Connelly's stuff? If so, would you consider his books pulp fiction? I'm fascinated as much by his writing, the technical/mechanics of how he keeps my attention as I am the story. The story is about a high powered defense attorney and how he handles clients from a business perspective, preparations and laying groundwork for going to trial.

I've read a 1/2 doz or so of his works, this is the first where a lawyer is the main character. IMO, an excellent read.

Excellent, indeed. One of his better novels, in my opinion (and I've read them all). Last year's "Echo Park" was quite good, too.

I've been reading more of Michael Dibdin's Aurelio Zen mysteries, most recently A Long Finish. These novels are Italian-based, with a high degree of cynicism.

You know, living in Italy I am very familiar with Dibdin's settings and cynicism (he lived here for quite a while, too). I met him more than once: he was a very interesting guy. His recent death was a shocking surprise to me.

[You know, living in Italy I am very familiar with Dibdin's settings and cynicism (he lived here for quite a while, too). I met him more than once: he was a very interesting guy. His recent death was a shocking surprise to me.

A shock to me too... :( I only began reading the novels this year, and this is the first I heard of his death. Thanks for the (sad) information.

That Carlin book is pretty funny, but I remember thinking :huh: in a few sections.

Just starting "Forces in Motion: The Music and Thoughts of Anthony Braxton", by Graham Lock.

07md.jpg

:tup

I should take a look at that again, it was very inspiring.

Recently read John Berendt's The City of Falling Angels. An entertaining read (including a short section from Ezra Pound's daughter's autobiography with an illuminating letter from Pound advising her how to write). Every review I looked at after I read it compared it unfavorably to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The first book is better, but this one has its moments. Part of the problem is that the weirdos he encountered in Savannah are stranger than the ones he found in Venice. Also, it appears that Venetians play their eccentricities a bit closer to the vest, while Savannahnans tend to flaunt theirs.

[]

How is the book VB? I always found Kahn to veer toward the melodramatic in his books. Of course, with Dempsey's life, that might be a great way to go.

Very entertaining so far, although with Dempsey's life, it would be hard to make it boring, My only qualm would be that he thinks that he is as interesting as the subject so he puts personal stories about himself in it.

[]

How is the book VB? I always found Kahn to veer toward the melodramatic in his books. Of course, with Dempsey's life, that might be a great way to go.

Very entertaining so far, although with Dempsey's life, it would be hard to make it boring, My only qualm would be that he thinks that he is as interesting as the subject so he puts personal stories about himself in it.

yeah, the personal stuff really weakened The Boys of Summer, and his other books. Still, Dempsey is a fascinating character, so I'll probably get the book.