Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just finishing up Silence: Lectures And Writings by John Cage.

i've got the utmost respect for his art (excuse me mr. cage for using that word...) and works. but has anyone else here who has actually plowed through this entire book - without skipping large portions due to exhaustion or annoyance - not wanted to periodically strangle him? quite often while reading this i found myself thinking exasperatedly, "Man, this guy should stick to working w/ sounds and leave the words to others." another thought i had while reading this was that, seemingly, the premise for many of these lectures and writings was to give some kind of insight into process or ideas, but often the result was obfuscation - and intentionally so. that's kind of like lying. and i know the explanation is that Cage wanted to "show" rather than "tell" - but i don't buy it. it's too semantic. it seems like a way to get out of saying words fail; or side-stepping the simple fact that you aren't up to the task of using words to describe something. and let's face it: obfuscation is easy. while clarity, generally and more often, takes more energy, craft, and time.

for me there are positive and creative provcations; and then there are childish, negative provocations. as much as i admire Cage, i experienced much of this book as childish and negative. i don't begrudge anyone's buddhism or zen philosophy, but if it puts you on the road to enjoying being intentionally irritating for the sake of being irritating, i'm not for it. and i know i know, he's irritating so as to give the reader a different perspective. i don't buy it. sometimes being irritating is just that, and nothing else.

not meaning to offend. and like i said, Cage is a master musician. and i have no problem w/ chance operations or indeterminacy as compositional tools. but damn... what a drag it was for me to read this thing. much better to simply experience his music.

Oh yes, I love me some Cordwainer Smith. Fascinating writer.

I've read about 75% of these stories decades ago. This is a nice collection that includes everything except the brilliant novel "Norstrilia." 2277588867_c0dd339b20.jpg?v=0

I'll probably read a third of this collection this time round and save the rest for later enjoyment.

Edited by jazzbo

518AX4Y08JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The second of Steinhauer's Cold War thrillers set in an imaginary East European communist state. Set in 1956 around the time of the mid-50s Thaw and the Hungarian Uprising. A complex murder mystery set in a bleak landscape of surveillance, political arrests, brutal work camps and sudden rehabilitation. Very impressive.

Will work my way through his other books.

A Romance on Three Legs: Glenn Gould's Obsessive Quest for the Perfect Piano

Wonderful so far, the review of it being the Seabiscut of music books is spot on. Jim, as your a piano tuner you will love this. Also for fans of Glen Gould or just those who can appreciate the history and the art of what goes into the making/sound of a great piano.

9781862076556.jpg

Some extraordinary stories in this. Makes me feel very lucky to be living where I am, when I am.

Smiled at this bit last night:

Miriam works at a public radio station. Recently, she was asked to make a program on Ostalgie parties where if you show an East German ID you get in for free, everyone calls one another 'Comrade' and the beer is only DM 1.30.

She says, 'Things like this feed into a crazy nostalgia for the GDR as if it had been a harmless welfare state that looked after people's needs. Most of the people at these parties are too young to remember the GDR anyway. They are just looking for something to yearn for.'

Made me think of some jazz fans. And some musicians!

Edited by Bev Stapleton