Now reading...

It is interesting so far.

I guess my main concern is "scholarship or crackpot rant"; sounds like it falls into the scholarship camp. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Well, the author is not a typical Egyptologist. I don't consider him a "crackpot." He does have an agenda, but most authors and most scholars do. He's not a non-scholar so to speak, he's a civil engineer, and he's studied Egyptology as far as I can tell a lot of his life. He is interviewed briefly here on this page.

http://www.egypt-tehuti.org/gadalla.html

From the interview:

M.G.: I didn't intend to focus on Ancient Egypt, just because I'm Egyptian. It was only after I began reading existing books about the subject, that I discovered how MUCH they knew, and how AWARE they were of the universe, in every action of their daily lives. Yet this information is suppressed in almost all of today's references and textbooks. I have made it my life's mission to get the TRUE image of the ancient Egyptians out to the world, for those who are ready to hear it

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting to read 'Charles Delaunay et le Jazz en France dans les Années 30 et 40' by Anne Legrand

51oOYF2kIaL._SS500_.jpg

which came out last week. A well documented book on the fascinating figure that was Delaunay.

The book was published after Anne Legrand's thesis that won her a ph.d. at the Sorbonne University.

Looks excellent right from the start!

Nick Hornby, Juliet, Naked

51RcyayhMIL._SS500_.jpg

Englishwoman discovers disappeared American rock legend through internet music discussion forum!

Read it a couple of weeks ago. Identified some with the internet bit. Hope I'm not as far gone as the rabid fan in the novel - tho my wife sometimes thinks I am.

Different jacket cover for the book here in the States.

Edited by paul secor

Michel Folco's latest.

400033408.jpg

Don't know if the fellow has been translated in english, are they frenchies here who are digging his stuff ?

Never h(re)ad so far. Historical satyrs ? How do you like it ?

Liked it a lot, he has a way of writing that is quite Americanized very punchy and despite the lenght of the book not too wordy, the narration is quite ironical but straight forward and the story is quite a wild ride, meeting a young Hitler, Sigmund Freud and a family who has a very special relation with religion, in terms of popular litterature you can do a whole lot worse than him.

Will try to pick up his previous books.

Now reading this369926593.jpg

Not exactly great litterature, but books about fighters are rather scarce especially if you take away subjects like Ali otr Tyson. Written by a close friend, it may be too hagiographic for its own good but it still is an entertaining book that tells the story of one of the last TV boxing Star, you know when boxing used to appear on regular networks.

Edited by Van Basten II

So What: The Life of Miles Davis. John Szwed's biography of Miles Davis, which I will read during my business trip the next ten days. Nothing helps reading like long lay-overs in airports..:rolleyes:

009928183X.jpg

Good choice! I found it very readable.

Got about 2/3 of the way through (have to return it to the library, I'll get it again in a day or so) but it is a very good read. It's interesting how Miles' life has a pronounced mythic component, where reading about his life, it already seems to fall into jazz cliche mode, but yet, it was a real life. One of the interesting points that Szwed makes is that Miles was not a "modern person" of the sixties, but was really a throwback to the 1950's, and makes the caparison that Miles was actually like Elliott Gould's Philip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye, an outdated character adrift in the modern world, with values and outlooks that are out of sync with what is going on around him. You could write some great articles of some of the off-hand comments that Szwed makes.

Edited by Matthew

and makes the caparison that Miles was actually like Elliott Gould's Philip Marlowe in The Long Goodbye, an outdated character adrift in the modern world, with values and outlooks that are out of sync with what is going on around him.

That might explain his dress sense from the late 60s!

369926593.jpg

Finished it, the main failure of this book is that for a boxing book it talks little of boxing but more of the moral story of Vinny's comeback and never give up attitude. Fights are described in very few details if they are any. . If you wanna read an uplifting story pick it up, if you're an hardcore boxing fan, save your money.

Currently reading this

51HRDC86ZRL._SS500_.jpg

Juliette by the Marquis de Sade

Doing a Google search to find a proper image using words livre histoire de juliette marquis de sade 10/18, at some point I had a picture of an Hilary Clinton book :rfr

Clifford Brown by Nick Catalano - I'd read a lot of negative things about it but decided to give it a shot. Big mistake - one of the most poorly written books I've ever read.

It did inspire me to listen to some Clifford Brown, which was a good thing, but I can't imagine ever having a desire to reread it, or even to reread parts of it.

Finished it, the main failure of this book is that for a boxing book it talks little of boxing but more of the moral story of Vinny's comeback and never give up attitude. Fights are described in very few details if they are any. . If you wanna read an uplifting story pick it up, if you're an hardcore boxing fan, save your money.

Well, since my image of Paz changed over time from "courageous come back kid" to "whining cheap shot artist", I guess I'll pass...

Waterland by Graham Swift. Just got this from the library today, and started reading this for the first time in a long while. First of all, I cannot believe this was published twenty-seven years ago, where does time go? I remember the first time I read this book, when I finished, I went right back to page one, and started all over again. It's still that powerful, what a wonderfully written book, one of the best in the past thirty years.

51V2MJ76JSL.jpg

Edited by Matthew

Waterland by Graham Swift. Just got this from the library today, and started reading this for the first time in a long while. First of all, I cannot believe this was published twenty-seven years ago, where does time go? I remember the first time I read this book, when I finished, I went right back to page one, and started all over again. It's still that powerful, what a wonderfully written book, one of the best in the past thirty years.

51V2MJ76JSL.jpg

One of my desert island books! Some wonderful ruminations on history in its pages. Highly evocative of the Fenland region of East Anglia where it is set. And very good on eels too!