Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started reading Isaac Asimov's Gold. I've only read the first story, Cal, but I have to say it's one of my favorites of Asimov's stories! It would probably only be appreciated by someone who's read a lot of his robot stories, as it explores the only thing stronger than the three laws of robotics...

Edited by Jazzmoose

The Memoirs of George Sherston by Siegfried Sassoon. I keep reading that there is a Sassoon revival going on in England, but that has yet to make it across the Atlantic. I remember how excited I was when I finally found a copy of this in a Mount Vernon, WA used bookstore, I had looked for years and years for one. It really is about a world that is long gone, and I imagine for the English, it is a very powerful book. I have never found a book with Sassoon's poetry anywhere, but one day, hopefully, I will. I'm reading it slowly this time, just soaking in the beauty and fearfulness of the writing. I often wonder if any generation has suffered a more harsh disillusion than that 1914 European group, massively unprepared for what lay before them. Think I'll go all the way and read Good Bye To All That after I finish Sassoon.

The Memoirs of George Sherston by Siegfried Sassoon. I keep reading that there is a Sassoon revival going on in England, but that has yet to make it across the Atlantic. I remember how excited I was when I finally found a copy of this in a Mount Vernon, WA used bookstore, I had looked for years and years for one. It really is about a world that is long gone, and I imagine for the English, it is a very powerful book. I have never found a book with Sassoon's poetry anywhere, but one day, hopefully, I will. I'm reading it slowly this time, just soaking in the beauty and fearfulness of the writing. I often wonder if any generation has suffered a more harsh disillusion than that 1914 European group, massively unprepared for what lay before them. Think I'll go all the way and read Good Bye To All That after I finish Sassoon.

Time I re-read Sassoon! I have a hardback copy of the Faber Complete Memoirs of George Sherston, which I bought in 1968. My main source of his poetry was Men Who March Away: Poems of the First World War, but I see that there are current editions of Sassoon's poems. Time to re-read Goodbye to All That, too. My Penguin Modern Classics copy is dated 1966!

Edited by BillF

Not aware of any Sassoon revival over here. I read it c. 1978 and remember being very affected (the Graves too).

Worth remembering this is the view from the elite! In fact, if you've an interest in WWI I'd recommend reading 'Forgotten Victory' by Gary Sheffield. Gives a very different interpretation of WWI but starts with an excellent historiography of the war. One thing it points out is how the view of WWI as portrayed in Sassoon, Owen and Graves only began to take shape in the 30s and, particularly, with things like 'Oh What a Lovely War' and the BBC 'The Great War' series in the mid-60s. In the '20s it was generally viewed as a necessary sacrifice with people like Haig treated as heroes. The 'standard' view is actually a revisionist view!

Which doesn't alter what you say about the shock of the war. And if it got us bad, then its impact on France, Germany, Russia was many times worse.

Not aware of any Sassoon revival over here. I read it c. 1978 and remember being very affected (the Graves too).

Worth remembering this is the view from the elite! In fact, if you've an interest in WWI I'd recommend reading 'Forgotten Victory' by Gary Sheffield. Gives a very different interpretation of WWI but starts with an excellent historiography of the war. One thing it points out is how the view of WWI as portrayed in Sassoon, Owen and Graves only began to take shape in the 30s and, particularly, with things like 'Oh What a Lovely War' and the BBC 'The Great War' series in the mid-60s. In the '20s it was generally viewed as a necessary sacrifice with people like Haig treated as heroes. The 'standard' view is actually a revisionist view!

Which doesn't alter what you say about the shock of the war. And if it got us bad, then its impact on France, Germany, Russia was many times worse.

It's true, the "other ranks" weren't writing books about being in Oxbridge, playing cricket, and jumping around on their horses! Nor were they likely concerned about how they didn't learn war lessons at public school. I would imagine that in the '20s there was still a sense that WWI might still be "the war to end all wars," but in the '30s, with the rise of Hitler, it must have been a jarring realization that round 2 was coming up fast, and that all those deaths were, I don't want to say worthless, but the sacrifice of all those lives did not solve too much. Geesh, Haig! I wonder what was going through his heart-of-hearts when he looked back on the war...

41gmVBfXP-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I've been a Wallander fan since around 2003 - my favourite set of detective novels.

This is very strange and quite wonderful. Not a murder mystery but a strange story about ageing and dying, love and lies, aloofness and the need for human connection set against a beautifully desolate Sweden (both deep in the forest and on isolated Baltic islands), starting to fray at the edges through environmental carelessness. A whole series of unlikely twists keep you wondering where the story is going next. Brilliant!

About 3/4 through Gary Shteyngart's Absurdistan. Some parts are laugh-out-loud funny. One of the best lines is when the main characters start talking about shelling the capital of Absurdistan, and the narrator asks this other guy whether that is wise. He reponds, "I'm a poet, not an urban planner."

Also reading some of Nabokov's shorter works. Halfway through The Eye now.

Probably next book after this will be Narayan's The Dark Room.

200px-JohnLeCarre_TheLittleDrummerGirl.jpg

Just finished this. Le Carré has here moved from British spies to the world of Israeli/Arab espionage and, while gripping, it doesn't come up to the perfection of the George Smiley novels IMHO. Perhaps it's the English class system that Le Carré did so well!

Edited by BillF