Now reading...

41W0AkAgDlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roy Blount, Jr. - Hail, Hail, Euphoria! My homeboy Roy Blount is one of my favorite humor writers. This is his examination of The Marx Brothers' Duck Soup. The Amazon reviews are all over the place - some people don't like Blount's many digressions, but that's always been part of his style. And the digressions often contain the most interesting passages.

Oh yes, I'm a big fan of Roy Blount, Jr. too. How, I wonder, could anyone NOT like Blount's digressions, then I recall you said "Amazon reviews" and of course, that makes sense, because about twenty percent of Amazon reviews are shit. Conundrum solved!

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a fan of Furst as well and have read several of his 1930s/40s novels--still a number of them I have yet to get around to.

Only realised when reading the end of this one that he's an American. I'd always assumed he was British - not a great US presence in his novels.

His website has Django R. as a soundtrack!

I'm now reading the latest Dashiell Hammett collection, called Lost Stories. It includes a biography of Hammett which discusses where Hammett was in his life when he wrote each story.

There are still a few uncollected ones--Medjuck and I have been trying to track all of them down over the past several years.

Still revisting my youth. Finished rereading David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself, which was a strange experience. Apparently he's revised the novel to reflect things that have changed since he first wrote it, which would be completely ridiculous in any other novel, but with this one, it adds to the unreality of it all. Still a ridiculous practice if you ask me; one that shows not even the author takes this stuff seriously. As many times as I've recommended this book in the past, I can no longer do so. But take that as an 'old and cranky' comment.

Now reading Terry Brooks' Sword of Shanarra, or should I say trying to. A couple of hundred pages in, I'm finding this to be somewhat tedious, and the level of Brook's craft is not what I remember. My guess is this one won't be finished.

Just finished reading John Dufresne's Deep in the Shade of PARADiSE.

From a dialogue between Miranda and Adlai near the end of the novel:

"Miranda says, 'Adlai?'

'What'

She wraps her arm over Adlai's chest, kisses his shoulder. 'Tell me a story, a long, long, long story that you never finish.'

'Can you have a story that never ends?'

'Yes, if you tell it right.'"

I didn't want this story to end. But, like life, I knew it had to.

Edited by paul secor

51zomZT742L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Half-way through this. Beautifully written story of a young woman reporter captured by the Vietcong. Superb passages about everything from riding in a military helicopter under fire, being out in the jungle, experiencing South Vietnamese police brutality and just everyday life in a war zone. Very impressed.

Still revisting my youth. Finished rereading David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself, which was a strange experience. Apparently he's revised the novel to reflect things that have changed since he first wrote it, which would be completely ridiculous in any other novel, but with this one, it adds to the unreality of it all. Still a ridiculous practice if you ask me; one that shows not even the author takes this stuff seriously. As many times as I've recommended this book in the past, I can no longer do so. But take that as an 'old and cranky' comment.

What the ever-lovin' Hell? Why on God's green earth would someone "revise" a novel like The Man Who Folded Himself? It sounds remarkably wrongheaded. What are the differences? Does the eponymous time-traveling hero refer to President Bush? Sad to hear that Gerrold would mess up his own book like that.

I reread a good part of the novel about 10 years back. I hadn't read it since I was in 9th grade, so the only thing strange that time was getting a more adult perspective on the old book.