Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finally got around to finishing "The Terrorists," the final Martin Beck novel. I'd been going slow with it because I didn't want it to end. Great series.

Great series. There were a couple of good films based on it. One American (The Laughing Policeman) and one Swedish (Man on the Roof-- based on The Abominable Man).

keith+richards+life.jpg

Great read.

I'm almost through it. I keep reading reviews that say how great that it's more about music then sex and drugs. Sure there's some stuff about music but not nearly as much as there is about sex and drugs.

I guess this can go here as well as anywhere. I think Stefan Zweig's name has come up a couple of times. Anyway, there are a few days left to hear a radio adaptation of his chess-based novella The Royal Game: Zweig

It shares many characteristics with Nabokov's The Defense. Wasn't super crazy about either, but liked Zweig's a bit better.

I have started reading Treasure Island to my son, who now seems old enough not to be completely scared of pirates. It should take a week or two. After this, it will be Kidnapped. Hard to believe, but I've never read either up to now.

As far as my own reading, I did start Shamsie's Kartography, which seems promising. Somewhere towards the end of the month, I am going to tackle Mahfouz's The Cairo Trilogy. I'm excited but a little daunted. Also I think it is too bulky to take on the train, which would slow me down considerably!

Albert Camus - The Plague

Enjoying this very much.

You know, I picked up a copy of that in '76, and still haven't read it... I guess it was the tail end of my Camus obsession, and I just never got to it. But I transport it from place to place rather than getting rid of it, so I guess there's still hope.

=

Now on:

51yCK2lWT0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Part of a great 30s/40s series (they overlap but are not a series or chronological). This one is based in Poland in 1937.

Read a few of these, awfully good aren't they. Very romantic, the Polish resistance. Just saw the new Peter Weir film, The Way Back, tonight about a number of fellows, some Poles among them, who escaped from the Gulags in Siberia and WALKED to India. Astounding cinematography even if a lil predictable. It was in a double bill with the new Mike Leigh, Another Year, which I loved.

I'm reading Robt Gottlieb's new bio of Sarah Bernhardt now, which is a great read - a christmas gift I've almost polished off. gottliebsarah.png?w=338&h=500

Enjoying this very much.

You know, I picked up a copy of that in '76, and still haven't read it... I guess it was the tail end of my Camus obsession, and I just never got to it. But I transport it from place to place rather than getting rid of it, so I guess there's still hope.

It's been on my shelf for months. It's quite apt at the minute, as we are on the verge of a flu epidemic/pandemic (can't remember which) here in England, with a nice little pocket where I live, in the North West. Are you listening Bill?

I've only ever read "The Fall" of Camus, and I enjoyed that too. Not so much for the "existential" thing, but his prose, which I find pleasingly spare, yet substantial. I seem to recall some liner notes applying the same sentiments to Monk - compared it to roast beef - much meat, no sauce. May have been the Sonny Rollins meets Monk LP.

Enjoying this very much.

It's been on my shelf for months. It's quite apt at the minute, as we are on the verge of a flu epidemic/pandemic (can't remember which) here in England, with a nice little pocket where I live, in the North West. Are you listening Bill?

Indeed I am - and I got my free anti-flu injection for the over-65s last week!

As for Camus, far and away the most significant one for me has always been The Outsider (L'étranger). I've read it twice in English and twice in French - its very short length and plain-statement style made the latter possible.

David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas

I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't that taken with Number9Dream. Haven't read his latest two, but will probably get to them one day.

On a bit of a tangent, I am wondering when Murakami's 1Q84 comes out in English. I was somewhere where I actually saw it in Japanese (probably just the first volume), but it would have been pointless and pretentious to have bought it.

51c8vwtbsul_sl500_aa240_.jpg

Loved this. See-saws between grim murder mystery and tall, whimsical tale. I think the latter just wins out. A larger than life tale but a fun one.

Now on:

51UO1SpQo5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Leon's books always make me hungry - Inspector Brunetti's wife always makes such wonderful meals!

Edited by A Lark Ascending