Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Combination of Board software and my computer conspired to eat my last message, which is really annoying. I'll try to repeat the gist of it.

Agree Grossman's Life and Fate is a keeper. Unfortunately, I only got 100 pages in when I had to return the library copy. Ordered my own and may read it this fall when I am on my own for a few months in Vancouver (probably Proust as well).

Just read John Rechy's The Miraculous Day of Amalia Gomez. Rechy is best known for City of Night, but this is an interesting read.

In general, this is very much a book in the "the city is hell" vein. I particularly like this passage:

"She worried because she had overheard some women on the bus say that the governor was going to shut down many of those clincas. Where would the women go? Thank God she and her children were healthy. Perhaps the Blessed Mother would ask for a clinic instead of a chapel.

Rosario might have said that, but she had gone too far in thinking it. She might have to confess it. The Blessed Mother always asked for a chapel. Who was she to question eternal mysteries?

Next up is Moth Smoke by Moshin Hamid.

Edited by ejp626

450px-Larwood.jpg

Statue of Larwood from the centre of Kirkby-in-Ashfield where I work. Bill Voce also came from here.

When I first moved here in 1978 one of the houses at the School was named after Larwood (it vanished in an 80s reorganisation).

I'm no cricket buff but am aware of the controversy of the Bodyline Tour of Australia in the early 1930s.

There's even a pub in Nottingham itself called the Larwood and Voce:

http://www.molefacepubcompany.co.uk/the-larwood-and-voce1.html

450px-Larwood.jpg

Statue of Larwood from the centre of Kirkby-in-Ashfield where I work. Bill Voce also came from here.

When I first moved here in 1978 one of the houses at the School was named after Larwood (it vanished in an 80s reorganisation).

I'm no cricket buff but am aware of the controversy of the Bodyline Tour of Australia in the early 1930s.

There's even a pub in Nottingham itself called the Larwood and Voce:

http://www.molefacepubcompany.co.uk/the-larwood-and-voce1.html

Somewhere I've still got, I think, the autograph of his old front line fast bowling partner from Yorkshire, Bill Bowes.

He was a pretty old chap when that autograph was done (umpiring I think).

Edited by sidewinder

450px-Larwood.jpg

Amazing how he's balancing that lamp standard on his left elbow! (Should have taken the photo yourself, Bev!)

Ha!

Actually, the photo is very flattering of the pedestrianised precinct. In reality it's mainly boarded up shops and kids on skateboards. Mixture of the death of the mines and hosiery and the migration of trade to the supermarkets and retail parks. Larwood and Voce wouldn't recognise it - they lived in a vibrant mining community.

While the body counts mount in Afghanistan and Iraq, another military tally, less wrenching and tragic but poignant nonetheless, quietly proceeds. Every day more than 700 veterans of World War II die, and with each one goes a story, or dozens of them. Laura Hillenbrand reached Louis Zamperini just in the nick of time — he was in his mid-80s when she found him, and 93 now— and it’s an excellent thing, for his is surely one of the most extraordinary war stories of all.

HILLENBRAND_Unbroken-396x600.jpg

450px-Larwood.jpg

Amazing how he's balancing that lamp standard on his left elbow! (Should have taken the photo yourself, Bev!)

Ha!

Actually, the photo is very flattering of the pedestrianised precinct. In reality it's mainly boarded up shops and kids on skateboards. Mixture of the death of the mines and hosiery and the migration of trade to the supermarkets and retail parks. Larwood and Voce wouldn't recognise it - they lived in a vibrant mining community.

Funny you should use the word "vibrant" - the chapters in the book detailing Larwood's early life in mining make it sound utterly grim. Nice pic btw.