Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. Not as good as it's reputation, of course, but better than I remembered.

I'm sort of half-tempted to read the full, expanded version (from 1991), which is 60,000 words longer. However, I suspect the editors did Heinlein a huge favor. :P

That's usually the case, but in this case, I think the expanded version is much better. I read it when it came out in '91, and thought the additions made the novel flow a lot better, and cleared up some dangling questions.

I read the "expanded" (unedited) versions of "The Puppet Masters" and "Red Planet" and in both cases found some of the "extra" material intriguing, but overall preferred the shorter, edited versions. I've also heard that the shorter, originally published version of SIASL is now out of print and the only version you can now buy is the expanded one. If this is true, it strikes me as a little odd, to say the least.

51JDMBD1R0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nice cover. Never seen that particular edition.

I decided to re-read this one when I pulled it from the shelf and read this sentence from the Introduction:

When you find you can go neither backward nor forward, when you discover that you are no longer able to stand, sit, or lie down, when your children have died of malnutrition and your aged parents haven been sent to the poorhouse or the gas chamber, when you realize that you can neither write nor not write, that you are convinced that all exits are blocked, either you take to believing in miracles or you should stand still like the hummingbird.

Henry Miller is always an inspiration for me.

x10533.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Just wrapped up PKD's Radio Free Albemuth. It was a little wearying. I suspect I won't care much for Valis, which has many of the same pre-occupations but is considerably longer. I think I did order a copy a while back, however.

I'm about halfway through Suketu Mehta's Maximum City, which is about Bombay/Mumbai. There is definitely some interesting material, though overwhelmingly depressing (sort of like a non-fictional Rohinton Mistry). I do think he needed a much tougher editor, however, as it seems really 40-50% longer than it should be. It would be a really effective 200-250 page portrait of the city. At 500+ pages it is just much too much.

Just wrapped up PKD's Radio Free Albemuth. It was a little wearying. I suspect I won't care much for Valis, which has many of the same pre-occupations but is considerably longer. I think I did order a copy a while back, however.

VALIS, though similarly pre-occupied, is quite different. Dick misunderstood his agent's suggestions and rather than make a few revisions he completely reworked the material. I think VALIS is superior to Radio Free Albimuth.

VALIS, though similarly pre-occupied, is quite different. Dick misunderstood his agent's suggestions and rather than make a few revisions he completely reworked the material. I think VALIS is superior to Radio Free Albimuth.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. It turned out that I got the LoA volume which includes VALIS, A Maze of Death, The Divine Invasion and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.

180px-On_A_Pale_Horse_cover_by_Piers_Anthony.jpg

Just started this one. A friend suggested I give it a try.

This one is fun and maybe the next two in the series, but after that there is a pretty steep decline. Weird thing about P. Anthony is that his series get worse (and more ridiculous) as he goes along. Not sure why this is. Most writers of massive serial works are pretty consistent (the master Edgar Rice Burroughs, Stephen Donaldson, Michael Moorcock, and even Zelazny (consistent within series though I would agree the later books of Amber are a steep drop off from the first series)). Terry Pratchett has seemed to get better as time goes on and his fictional universe expands. But Piers definitely gets worse. The Xanth series is completely unreadable now. The only other equivalent I can think of is Philip Jose Farmer who had a solid 4 books in the Riverworld series and then kind of got bored and squeezed out another two (I think) that were a major stylistic change and certainly a disappointment for me.

I agree on Anthony completely. I only have two of his books on my shelf, On A Pale Horse (and I'd stop with that one in the series if it was me...) and my favorite of his by far, Macroscope. I used to have the early trilogy, Orn, Ox and Hegelmeyer or whatever it was, but never managed to get too far into it.