Now reading...

Try this one:

200px-TheHunters.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation, Bill, I've ordered a copy.

I never bought this because it seemed too like the memoirs of his flying career, "Gods of Tin" & "Burning the Days", both of which I enjoyed enormously. Perhaps that's what he's best at writing about.

Have just finished this:

41xrtfvPocL._.jpg

OK, but somewhat precious, so The Hunters remains my favourite.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51d0NmcerwL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

Physics and Philosophy: The Revolution in Modern Science Paperback

by Werner Heisenberg (Author)

It sounds interesting, but I'm uncertain...

See I'm afraid that I would order it, and it would sit there in the box from Amazon. I wouldn't know whether I had already read it or not until I opened the ---

Ok, I'll stop there.

On a recent trip to Chicago, I read Jedediah Berry's The Manual of Detection. It starts with a lot of promise, but then by the end basically devolves into Inception-lite (even though it came out a year or so ahead of that movie). More than anything it reminds me of a mash-up of Dark City, Borges and Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. Not a bad book, but just beware that you will probably feel a bit let down by the end.

51I1q-LPOML._.jpg

WWI novel (give away cover!) but centred on two Australian nurses. I've just reached the arrival at Gallipoli. Very impressive - I recall being overwhelmed by 'Confederates' thirty odd years back.

Finished it last night. Highly recommended. Second half moves to France. Very moving.

51GrZH7fAEL._.jpg

Nash, Nevinson, Spencer, Gertler, Carrington.

Only just started but I'm fascinated by the depictions of the different experiences of these people in late Victorian London, let alone what is to follow.

I didn't realise there was a book. It was/is a very good exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery where I obviously didn't visit the shop on the way out

51GrZH7fAEL._.jpg

Only just started but I'm fascinated by the depictions of the different experiences of these people in late Victorian London, let alone what is to follow.

I didn't realise there was a book. It was/is a very good exhibition at Dulwich Picture Gallery where I obviously didn't visit the shop on the way out

That does sound interesting, though I don't think I'll make the exhibit ;)

There are a bunch of decent books on the Group of 7, but this book is quite interesting for a much later, lesser-known Canadian group, the Painters 11.

iris-nowell-594.jpg

(I tend to gravitate towards abstract art, so I was glad to read up on this group.)

Edited by ejp626

51GrZH7fAEL._.jpg

Whereas I didn't know about the exhibition but have had my eye on the book for a while, since the series on British 20thC art on TV earlier in the year.

It seems the exhibition was (at least partly) a follow on from the book. The exhibition catalogue is also available:

61ctOJ5ufrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

51GrZH7fAEL._.jpg

Finished this - thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact it reminded me of no end of things I was reading 40 odd years ago from that 1900-39 period - Huxley, Orwell, Maugham, Lawrence etc.

Though I found some of the arty primadonnaism of the individuals involved more than a little irritating at times. Boy could they scratch one another's eyes out.

I've now embarked on:

51DT8UnFkVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

Edited by A Lark Ascending

51_ZSA46_RV1_L.jpg514_APGCZPML.jpg

Bought Unspeakable and Marches On to complement Apes of Wrath which was hilarious with its commentary and glossary:

Evildoer Anyone who is not a frenna freem

Freeman moxy Mercas gif to the wurl

Yurpeen Union Another organisation of evildoers

61_Cs_WEHXoj_L.jpg

Edited by erwbol

mrspalfrey.jpg

Saw the film that was made from this. It wasn't bad, but I imagine the novel is superior.

I've only just found out that there was a film. I've put it on my rental list with Lovefilm. As the beauty of the book lies largely in its verbal felicities, I won't be able to draw direct comparisons between novel and film. I'll watch the film for its own sake.

mrspalfrey.jpg

Saw the film that was made from this. It wasn't bad, but I imagine the novel is superior.

I've only just found out that there was a film. I've put it on my rental list with Lovefilm. As the beauty of the book lies largely in its verbal felicities, I won't be able to draw direct comparisons between novel and film. I'll watch the film for its own sake.

I'm putting the novel on my to-read list.