Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Various essays/reviews in Michael Dirda's 'Bound to Please' - highly recommended.

Didn't like this one nearly as much as Readings -- the Book World review pieces are just too short.

--eric

I agree to an extent. The 'Readings' essays are generally longer and a bit more personal, but I'm finding a wealth of books that interest me in the 'Bound to Please' reviews. Now I just have to find the time to read them.

Various essays/reviews in Michael Dirda's 'Bound to Please' - highly recommended.

Didn't like this one nearly as much as Readings -- the Book World review pieces are just too short.

--eric

I agree to an extent. The 'Readings' essays are generally longer and a bit more personal, but I'm finding a wealth of books that interest me in the 'Bound to Please' reviews. Now I just have to find the time to read them.

Yes, it is good as a "book tips" sort of thing. But I really loved Readings, though I don't share his predilections for Nabakovian stuff or for supposedly beautiful prose stylist like Prolix.

--eric

Just went through a stack of books by my favorite author of my teen years, Robert Heinlein. How the hell did I ever end up as a Democrat???? :wacko:

Yeah, the guy could be a crusty old hard-hat, couldn't he? I think his political views are mostly in the background (where they should be) in the juveniles. The novels meant for adults are increasingly hard to take, though...

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished rereading Sixty Days That Shook The West: The Fall of France, 1940 (Benoist-Mechin).  Believe it was one of the first books to cover that campaign.  Strongly recommended for any World War II history enthusiasts.

I'll add that one to my list--I'm still on the hunt for Beevor's FALL OF BERLIN 1945. Ever read his Stalingrad book?

I'm currently reading SATCHMO BLOWS UP THE WORLD, about the U.S. State Department's sponsorship of jazz tours during the Cold War, and trying to get traction on Conrad's THE SECRET AGENT.

Edited by ghost of miles

Just started to read a book by David Nylund "Treating Huckleberry Finn - A New Narrative Approach to Working With Kids Diagnosed ADD/ADHD"

I know sad or what ;)

Che.

Amazing book isn't it Harold.

I just this morning finished rereading The Divine Invasion. A stupendous work. . . I was especially impressed with it this time. It grows in depth as my life experience does!

Now back to "Half Slave, Half Free" . . . I needed a break from it halfway through.

Amazing book isn't it Harold.

Yes it is. VERY. It's a little tougher going than some other P.K.D. I've read, but it's well worth the effort.

Jazzmoose - give it another shot. For me it's taking a lot of concentration, but I'm hooked now and it's, as Lon said, amazing.

I'm reading it from THIS paperback. I was surprised to find that this is the first edition (even tho it says so on the cover - I always thought that was paperback

hype). It wasn't out in hardcover first.

valis.jpg