Now reading...

On 12 February 2016 at 7:37 PM, BFrank said:

Just finishing this. Hilarious!

51BpqXildZL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dixon was alive again. Consciousness was upon him before he could get out of the way; not for him the slow, gracious wandering from the halls of sleep, but a summary, forcible ejection. He lay sprawled, too wicked to move, spewed up like a broken spider-crab on the tarry shingle of the morning. The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eyeballs again. A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth has been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he’d somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by a secret police. He felt bad.

Doesn't get better than that :)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, crisp said:

Dixon was alive again. Consciousness was upon him before he could get out of the way; not for him the slow, gracious wandering from the halls of sleep, but a summary, forcible ejection. He lay sprawled, too wicked to move, spewed up like a broken spider-crab on the tarry shingle of the morning. The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eyeballs again. A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth has been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he’d somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by a secret police. He felt bad.

Classic passage!

the-temporary-gentleman.jpg?w=195&h=300

Follows a brother of the principal character of his earlier 'The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty.' A book where the main character tells his tale as a chap with good intentions yet is revealed to have done some pretty dreadful things.

a-spy-among-friends.jpg

I read a lot of Cold War thrillers and generally have a 'that was good but a bit far-fetched' reaction. Reading this it seems most of them are far from far-fetched. Unbelievable the way that Philby manipulated the old school tie and gentleman's club prejudices of MI6 to stay in the game so long.

51l0sW2WSBL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now onto this. I read a couple of his classic 60s novels about 20 years back (and have read a couple of his more recent things since). Had quite forgotten how good he is - the understatement, avoidance of leaning too heavily on exact historical events and, above all, the way he captures a rather threadbare, pre-Habitat (very pre-IKEA) Britain. In the light of the Philby book his handling of the snobberies and nasty rivalries within the British Establishment seem spot on.   

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

the-temporary-gentleman.jpg?w=195&h=300

Follows a brother of the principal character of his earlier 'The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty.' A book where the main character tells his tale as a chap with good intentions yet is revealed to have done some pretty dreadful things.

a-spy-among-friends.jpg

I read a lot of Cold War thrillers and generally have a 'that was good but a bit far-fetched' reaction. Reading this it seems most of them are far from far-fetched. Unbelievable the way that Philby manipulated the old school tie and gentleman's club prejudices of MI6 to stay in the game so long.

51l0sW2WSBL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now onto this. I read a couple of his classic 60s novels about 20 years back (and have read a couple of his more recent things since). Had quite forgotten how good he is - the understatement, avoidance of leaning too heavily on exact historical events and, above all, the way he captures a rather threadbare, pre-Habitat (very pre-IKEA) Britain. In the light of the Philby book his handling of the snobberies and nasty rivalries within the British Establishment seem spot on.   

Wonderful book and excellent film made of it, too. Probaby Le Carré was at his best in these early books - but only just! The amazing thing is that he's retained his writing skills remarkably well into old age and a new book appears every few years. I've read just about all of them and haven't come across a dud; in fact some of the late ones are fascinating as JLC keeps up with current trends in politics and international relations.

Edited by BillF

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Wonderful book and excellent film made of it, too. Probaby Le Carré was at his best in these early books - but only just! The amazing thing is that he's retained his writing skills remarkably well into old age and a new book appears every few years. I've read just about all of them and haven't come across a dud; in fact some of the late ones are fascinating as JLC keeps up with current trends in politics and international relations.

I cannot for the life of me remember the names of the two recent ones I read but recall enjoying them. I'll remember when I read them again and realise thirty pages in that I've read this before. From my limited experience I think the thing the earlier books have is that grey, bleakness. I thought the recent TTSS film caught that extremely well - not just the visuals but in the tense, self-doubting personalities of the characters. I'm going to try working through chronologically over the next few years (there are couple of short early one's I've missed too). 

Recall enjoying the film of 'The Constant Gardener' (which is on the TV this Friday - I'll record it because it's been a while). Another book that really impressed me in this sort of genre was 'The Quiet American'. Need to read some more Greene.   

23 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I cannot for the life of me remember the names of the two recent ones I read but recall enjoying them. I'll remember when I read them again and realise thirty pages in that I've read this before. From my limited experience I think the thing the earlier books have is that grey, bleakness. I thought the recent TTSS film caught that extremely well - not just the visuals but in the tense, self-doubting personalities of the characters. I'm going to try working through chronologically over the next few years (there are couple of short early one's I've missed too). 

Recall enjoying the film of 'The Constant Gardener' (which is on the TV this Friday - I'll record it because it's been a while). Another book that really impressed me in this sort of genre was 'The Quiet American'. Need to read some more Greene.   

Quiet American is a masterpiece. BTW quick way of finding if you've read a Le Carré (or whatever) before is to put the name into Wikipedia - they usually give plot summaries. I find this very useful with films - so many seen and so many titles forgotten!

On 2/13/2016 at 8:14 PM, crisp said:

Classic indeed although P.G. Wodehouse runs him close, albeit in a lighter vein.

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Niko said:

imho, if you wish to proceed with Roth, I would read one of the books about the "Jewish villages in the East" next, like Tarabas, Hiob, Weight and Measure (my favorite) or Leviathan - the other "gone world" Roth knew very well ...  the remaining parts of the Trotta saga (without explicit Trottas) are The String of Pearls (his last novel, set in 19th century Vienna but with a similar hero, Franz Taitinger) and The Flight without End (a relatively early  novel where Franz is still called "Tunda" instead of "Trotta" and where you can still feel Roth as one of the best-paid journalists of his time) (the later works are not novels written by a journalist but rather novels where stuff just happens - the earlier ones like Hotel Savoy or Flight without End are an interesting contrast)

Thanks.  I recently picked up Rebellion but haven't started it yet.

19 hours ago, BillF said:

9780349004952-uk-300.jpg

There was an article about her in the November 30 edition of the New Yorker, focusing on "Carol."

On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM, crisp said:

Wonderful book.

I used to be a huge Highsmith fan and read a lot of her books back in the 70s-80s. First became aware of her from Wim Wender's "American Friend" (based on Ripley's Game). I soon realized that a lot of the books repeated the plot lines of individuals getting caught up in some nefarious crime that they weren't able to get themselves out of.

2 hours ago, BFrank said:

I used to be a huge Highsmith fan and read a lot of her books back in the 70s-80s. First became aware of her from Wim Wender's "American Friend" (based on Ripley's Game). I soon realized that a lot of the books repeated the plot lines of individuals getting caught up in some nefarious crime that they weren't able to get themselves out of.

Almost exactly the same for me.  BTW There is a new Criterion Blu Ray of American Friend. 

393940b.jpg

When I saw Carey's TV documentary based on his "The Intellectuals and the Masses: Pride and Prejudice among the Literary Intelligentsia, 1880–1939" I found myself punching the air again and again and shouting 'Yes!". Subsequently read the book and his equally entertaining "What Good are the Arts?" He seemed to articulate all my chippy irritation with the world of 'The Arts', whilst still valuing and enjoying what lay within.

This is an autobiography of how he went from a modest background (though not that modest...a middle class family that had fallen on slightly harder times) into Oxford (via National Service) and then a career in academia. As with so many biographies the early years are the most interesting - London in the 30s/40s, Nottinghamshire briefly during the war, National service, life as a student and then his early career. His descriptions of the utterly bizarre rituals of Oxford in the 1950s are hilarious. Amazing to think that the Oxford English syllabus stopped in the early 1800s at that time (Michael Gove would approve!) - part of the book describes how the syllabus was slowly dragged into the Victorian era in the 60s and then into the 20thC. 

He doesn't linger on his combative challenging of the world of 'The Arts' but mainly communicates his love of literature. Last quarter of the book is less interesting - summaries of books he wrote (and the reactions to them) and books he reviewed.   

Where I fall out with him is in his rosey-eyed faith in the grammar school system - he describes comprehensivisation as a barbaric tragedy. At this point he appears to join the very people he's spent the last twenty years criticising - all the research into the role of grammar schools completely undermines the myth of their being a means of social mobility for clever poor kids. Anyway, he should be delighted today as current educational policy is recreating grammar schools by the back door. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

In the home stretch of Slesinger's The Unpossessed.  I'm fairly sure this is the second go-around, but it is making a bigger impression on me this time around, mostly looking at how frankly foolish she makes these various dreamers and schemers.  The basic plot is that there is a small group of New York leftist intellectuals who have been debating starting a radical magazine for ages when one of them cons an upper middle class patroness into backing the magazine, starting with the purchase of a filing cabinet.  This woman and her husband then throw a big party to raise money for the magazine and also for the Hunger Marchers.  This is all set in the early 1930s, BTW.

Of course, Slesinger is far more interested in the relationships between people and how love, lust and antipathy are far more motivating than party politics, though that plays a role as well, particularly when the young acolytes keep pressing for a harder left stance than the original triumvirate started from.  The way Slesinger writes about these internal motivations seem derived from Freudian analysis, so that might be a bit of a turn-off for some people.  There is a fair bit of humor throughout, as well as the influence of Ulysses and Eliot's The Waste Land (and Dostoevsky's Demons as well).  It's an interesting novel with a number of characters I don't care about very much.  Personally, I would have liked it a bit more if it were zanier, particularly when the file cabinet is delivered.

This was reasonably popular among the New York intellectuals (at least those that could stand to poke a bit of fun at themselves) particularly Lionel Trilling, but it was despised by the New Masses crowd (presumably since it was taken as a personal attack on them).  Trilling actually wrote an Afterward to The Unpossessed, but it is quite hard to come by (still working on it).  I'm really surprised NYRB didn't manage to acquire the rights to republish it, but that's the case.*

After this, Bharati Mukherjee's Miss New India.

* Actually it turns out the Trilling piece is not that hard to come by.  It is titled "A Novel of the 30s" and is reprinted a few places, including in The Last Decade.  It is still weird how hard it is to find an edition of The Unpossessed with this afterward, however.

Edited by ejp626

61LGuiGpbWL._AC_UL320_SR212,320_.jpg

A STRANGE BUSINESS: A Revolution in Art, Culture, and Commerce in 19th Century London.  By James Hamilton.

A very interesting book with keen insights into the making of art and money in 19th century England (it often roves beyond London). I learned a lot about the nitty-gritty of the art business. One criticism I would make is that occasionally the welter of names, places and art works can become a little overwhelming, but overall quite informative and thought-provoking. 

9 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

393940b.jpg

When I saw Carey's TV documentary based on his "The Intellectuals and the Masses: Pride and Prejudice among the Literary Intelligentsia, 1880–1939" I found myself punching the air again and again and shouting 'Yes!". Subsequently read the book and his equally entertaining "What Good are the Arts?" He seemed to articulate all my chippy irritation with the world of 'The Arts', whilst still valuing and enjoying what lay within.

This is an autobiography of how he went from a modest background (though not that modest...a middle class family that had fallen on slightly harder times) into Oxford (via National Service) and then a career in academia. As with so many biographies the early years are the most interesting - London in the 30s/40s, Nottinghamshire briefly during the war, National service, life as a student and then his early career. His descriptions of the utterly bizarre rituals of Oxford in the 1950s are hilarious. Amazing to think that the Oxford English syllabus stopped in the early 1800s at that time (Michael Gove would approve!) - part of the book describes how the syllabus was slowly dragged into the Victorian era in the 60s and then into the 20thC. 

Too true! I recall reading an obituary a few years ago of an Oxford professor who caused shock and awe around 1960 by moving the English syllabus up to the ultramodern Thomas Hardy (1890s). At the same time I was beginning my English degree at Leeds with Ted Hughes's Lupercal (1960) and the ink was still wet on the page :-). Similar problems happened in Cambridge English studies when the followers of F R Leavis, a 1930s figure, tried in the 1980s to stop Critical Theory, which had swept French and American universities, from entering their domain. So where my subject, English Literature, is concerned, prestige attaching to Oxbridge is completely unmerited IMO.

13 hours ago, BillF said:

Too true! I recall reading an obituary a few years ago of an Oxford professor who caused shock and awe around 1960 by moving the English syllabus up to the ultramodern Thomas Hardy (1890s). At the same time I was beginning my English degree at Leeds with Ted Hughes's Lupercal (1960) and the ink was still wet on the page :-). Similar problems happened in Cambridge English studies when the followers of F R Leavis, a 1930s figure, tried in the 1980s to stop Critical Theory, which had swept French and American universities, from entering their domain. So where my subject, English Literature, is concerned, prestige attaching to Oxbridge is completely unmerited IMO.

The internal jealousies and infighting that Carey describes are amazing. He talks of one college where the fellows had to sit for meals in order of appointment, regardless of how well they got on. And an attitude to offering places that preferred a 'good all-rounder' from a public school to a 'bright grammar school boy', not to mention the leg ups given to students who are 'our sort'. He also says at one point that the wild scenes in 'Decline and Fall' that see the 'hero' sent down were not just fiction (no mention of pigs' heads though).  

The redbrick I attended in the mid-70s had a few silly traditions but these seemed mostly aped from Oxbridge (I recall a particular bizarre Christmas ritual that seemed to be a mixture of cod-Medievalism and Carl Orff).  Once you'd found your feet you could do your entire three years completely ignoring them and worrying about important things like when the new Henry Cow album was coming out. 

Another amusing bit is the sacred way Anglo-Saxon literature was treated. Compulsory until about the 70s - Carey is not a fan of what he sees as fragments of dull verse (I rather like what I've read but tend to see it as evidence rather than literature!) - but caused ructions when it was proposed that Anglo-Saxon became optional. 

I've always felt they should build some nice Stalinist breeze block colleges on the outskirts of Oxford/Cambridge for the university and turn the old buildings into Travelodges and Premiere Inns (or Starbucks!!!!). 

41 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

The internal jealousies and infighting that Carey describes are amazing. He talks of one college where the fellows had to sit for meals in order of appointment, regardless of how well they got on. And an attitude to offering places that preferred a 'good all-rounder' from a public school to a 'bright grammar school boy', not to mention the leg ups given to students who are 'our sort'. He also says at one point that the wild scenes in 'Decline and Fall' that see the 'hero' sent down were not just fiction (no mention of pigs' heads though).  

The redbrick I attended in the mid-70s had a few silly traditions but these seemed mostly aped from Oxbridge (I recall a particular bizarre Christmas ritual that seemed to be a mixture of cod-Medievalism and Carl Orff).  Once you'd found your feet you could do your entire three years completely ignoring them and worrying about important things like when the new Henry Cow album was coming out. 

Another amusing bit is the sacred way Anglo-Saxon literature was treated. Compulsory until about the 70s - Carey is not a fan of what he sees as fragments of dull verse (I rather like what I've read but tend to see it as evidence rather than literature!) - but caused ructions when it was proposed that Anglo-Saxon became optional. 

I've always felt they should build some nice Stalinist breeze block colleges on the outskirts of Oxford/Cambridge for the university and turn the old buildings into Travelodges and Premiere Inns (or Starbucks!!!!). 

Nice one, Bev!

I have to confess that compulsory Anglo-Saxon did survive as a small element in the first year at Leeds in my time, though it was seen as a laughable chore by almost all students, who couldn't wait to get to nothing-but-Lit in yrs 2 & 3. A tiny handful of geeks opted for Old Icelandic, etc in yrs 2 & 3 while the rest of us got on with everything from Chaucer to Arnold Wesker.

The ghastly atmosphere of Oxford colleges which you describe is well captured in C P Snow's novel, The Masters.

Edited by BillF

33 minutes ago, BillF said:

The ghastly atmosphere of Oxford colleges which you describe is well captured in C P Snow's novel, The Masters.

The only Snow I've read is 'The New Men', an 'A' Level text. I re-read it a few years back. 'The Masters' is one to put on my list.

One of the joys of reading people like Amis (the older one) and David Lodge is the way they satirise this sort of world. 

My first experience of Oxford was being taken there one evening along with a fellow six former by a kindly English teacher to attend an Oxford Union debate (I suspect this was an early outreach programme!). I don't recall anything about the debate, even the topic; I do recall being petrified about how to behave in the restaurant beforehand (I suspect it was just a cafe). We never went to restaurants, we brought our own sandwiches (child of the last austerity!). I was much happier going to see King Crimson and Genesis there in the New Theatre a few months later.   

I do like the olde worlde feel of Oxford but then I've never had to experience the inside - apart from one occasion when a group of us went to a concert there (Caravan/Renaissance, about 9 months before punk swept in) and slept on the floor of a mate of one of my friends. We had to leave very early in the morning to avoid being spotted by a batman or whatever they call them - I can still see the early morning mist swirling round the heads outside the Sheldonian. 

I've just finished Anthony Powell's 12 volume masterpiece, 'A Dance To The Music Of Time', my equivalent of tackling 'War And Peace'. It's a social chronicle of British middle and upper class life between the late 1920s and the late 1960s. Parallels include the novels of Evelyn Waugh and Henry Green and even Proust, although Powell is much less introspective. Part of the fun is identifying the real life models on whom the fictional characters are based. These include George Orwell, Lord Beaverbrook, John Galsworthy and many others. I can now look forward to the Channel 4 late 90s TV adaptation which attempted to squeeze it all into four 2-hour episodes.

My next challenge is to read C.P. Snow's 'Strangers and Brothers' sequence from the beginning (I've read a few novels, eg 'The Masters' but never the whole thing). Only 9 novels so it should be a piece of cake!