Now reading...

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I'm working my way forward, slowly. I read at least one of his more recent ones a few years back. Enjoyed it but it seemed more straightforward than his earlier style - you don't get the bureaucratic fogs that can be trying but ultimately give much of the atmosphere to the books. I have the recent biography on the shelves to read fairly soon - intrigued to know where all this came from.  

His novel, A Perfect Spy (1986), has strong autobiographical elements. A good read, too - as always with Le Carré.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I'm working my way forward, slowly. I read at least one of his more recent ones a few years back. Enjoyed it but it seemed more straightforward than his earlier style - you don't get the bureaucratic fogs that can be trying but ultimately give much of the atmosphere to the books. I have the recent biography on the shelves to read fairly soon - intrigued to know where all this came from.  

I agree with you, Bev.  Le Carre's post-Cold War novels aren't as compelling as his earlier books.

However, there is one that I would unreservedly recommend -- Absolute Friends from 2003. 

23 hours ago, BillF said:

His novel, A Perfect Spy (1986), has strong autobiographical elements. A good read, too - as always with Le Carré.

About three or four down the list! 

Just started the bio today:

9781408849460.jpg

What an awful childhood he had - spiv of a father living well beyond his means, bankrupted, imprisoned yet always up for the next dodgy deal; and a mother who vanished when he was 5. A boyhood spent in public schools, worried that the nature of his father would be found out. Just got him to Bern in 1948 having walked out of his school, studying German language and literature even though he was not yet really up to the standards and was living hand to mouth. And he's just been recruited! 

No wonder the characters of his books are so oily and untrustworthy.  

23 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I agree with you, Bev.  Le Carre's post-Cold War novels aren't as compelling as his earlier books.

However, there is one that I would unreservedly recommend -- Absolute Friends from 2003. 

I've only read the one so can't comment really - more familiar with the films/TV series! I did enjoy that one...it just seemed less murky and imprecise. Those 60s 70s novels leave you with loose ends and bits you don't quite get, not to mention the prevailing murky atmosphere of a Britain sinking into decline as a world power. I want to read the later ones but will work that way roughly chronologically ('Smiley's People' is next). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I am not liking Roth's Sabbath's Theater at all.  It's almost as if Roth got so fed up at being called a sexist writer that he decided to write one of the most misogynistic and frankly unpleasant characters he could come up with.  There are a few moments that are sort of ripped off from Boudu Saved From Drowning but with less elan.  I think Roth (or rather his character) has crossed an unforgivable line when Mickey Sabbath is staying at a friend's house, and he goes through the teenage daughter's dresser and starts sniffing her panties etc. etc. etc.  Really?!?  I'm going to take a bit of a break and come back to this in a week, but I think I'm done with this book.

14 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I am not liking Roth's Sabbath's Theater at all.  It's almost as if Roth got so fed up at being called a sexist writer that he decided to write one of the most misogynistic and frankly unpleasant characters he could come up with.  There are a few moments that are sort of ripped off from Boudu Saved From Drowning but with less elan.  I think Roth (or rather his character) has crossed an unforgivable line when Mickey Sabbath is staying at a friend's house, and he goes through the teenage daughter's dresser and starts sniffing her panties etc. etc. etc.  Really?!?  I'm going to take a bit of a break and come back to this in a week, but I think I'm done with this book.

I had the same reaction, ejp. I think Roth is an incredible writer -- but that one is just too much.

51YECFM808L.jpg

THE SUN ALSO RISES - Ernest Hemingway

I realized that t has been a good long time since I read (again) any Hemingway. It's like meeting a long-lost friend, albeit one you were never too sure of. This novel must rate as one of the longest drinking parties in literature (I'm sure there are others). 

Long time sin

8 hours ago, Leeway said:

51YECFM808L.jpg

THE SUN ALSO RISES - Ernest Hemingway

I realized that t has been a good long time since I read (again) any Hemingway. It's like meeting a long-lost friend, albeit one you were never too sure of. This novel must rate as one of the longest drinking parties in literature (I'm sure there are others). 

Long time since I read Hemingway. At one time I was a fan and read just about all of his work, but more recent attempts to get back into it have failed. Perhaps will try again one day.

I'm on a autodidact musical self-improvement bender. Currently reading Something to Live For (Walter van de Leur), which analyzes examples of Billy Strayhorn's pieces---and I just ordered Don Sebesky's The Contemporary Arranger (not so 'contemporary' anymore, I believe it came out around '79, but still a great arranging textbook/CD)...

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Muscle-Shoals-Journey-Shame/dp/1941437524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471024249&sr=1-1&keywords=rick+hall+the+man+from+muscle+shoals

Just finished Rick Hall's autobio.  To be taken with a grain of salt, no doubt, but an enjoyable read.  Especially the first part about him growing up dirt poor near Muscle Shoals.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, jlhoots said:

There's an article about her in the current issue of New York Magazine. Sounds like a challenging book & a complex person. 

Read the article in my dentist's waiting room a few days ago. I would say that calling her "a complex person" is an understatement. I didn't find the book challenging - though I didn't attempt to begin to learn to read ancient Greek and didn't buy into her child raising theories, which I think was part of her her intent. The last two thirds of the novel is the meat of it, and that's a fairly straightforward read.