Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, BillF said:

Now that's one I never got round to. I very much enjoyed Shields's The Stone Diaries and Larry's Party.

P.S. I have read it. Obviously didn't have as much impact as the others.

I vaguely remember reading Cohen's Beautiful Losers but I didn't remember much about it.  So I decided to read it again.  It's definitely different, sort of about a failed love triangle.

David Toop - Into The Maelstrom: Music Improvisation And The Dream Of Freedom, Before 1970

I'm finding this a lot more enjoyable than I thought I would. A very interesting survey drawing on precedents and influences from across the arts with some interesting interviews and a dash of lightheartedness to undermine any po-facedness. I think anyone broadly interested in the subject would get something from this

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

David Toop - Into The Maelstrom: Music Improvisation And The Dream Of Freedom, Before 1970

I'm finding this a lot more enjoyable than I thought I would. A very interesting survey drawing on precedents and influences from across the arts with some interesting interviews and a dash of lightheartedness to undermine any po-facedness. I think anyone broadly interested in the subject would get something from this

I very nearly bought a copy of that in Fopp last week. Might give it a go next time I see it. 

5 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I'm also reading Butler's The Way of All Flesh for the first time.  I'm not quite sure where it is going, but I do find the sly asides that the narrator inserts into the story are amusing.

Now that was one on my university reading list that I never got round to reading!

11 hours ago, BillF said:

Now that was one on my university reading list that I never got round to reading!

I actually have a post dedicated to books I should have read (mostly for university) but didn't for one reason or another.  The one I feel worst about is Bennett's The Old Wives' Tale.  It looks like I will finally get to it by next fall.

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I actually have a post dedicated to books I should have read (mostly for university) but didn't for one reason or another.  The one I feel worst about is Bennett's The Old Wives' Tale.  It looks like I will finally get to it by next fall.

In my case the university reading lists were often unrealistically long - and were condemned as such by academics in another university where I subsequently did a postgraduate degree - so missed texts were understandable and normal. More interesting are the ones I set out to read, but which defeated my efforts to finish them. There were only two: Middlemarch and Sir Walter Scott's Heart of Midlothian. Surprisingly, I had no trouble at all in reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall, although only a limited number of volumes were set. ^_^

Image result for Ruth Scurr Robespierre

I was obsessed with the French Revolution in the 80s/90s. I stopped teaching it around 1999 and haven't read a thing since. So this was like going back to a once favourite musical genre.

The last Robespierre bio I read was of a 'yes he killed lots of people but his intentions were good' type. Scurr, whilst telling the tale largely with an historian's detachment, can't hide her distaste for Robespierre's priggishness, self-absorption and ultimate indifference to the real suffering of human beings in his pursuit of the interests of abstract humanity. Excellent study of what happens when the machinery of a state falls apart and then the country falls victim to the ambitions of a sequence of politicians prepared to up the ante and manipulate popular discontent to further their own interests. 

I had a university tutor who maintained that you could read the whole of human experience in a study of the French Revolution. Couldn't help but be reminded of that hearing various contemporary politicians claiming to speak on behalf of 'the people' in pursuit of personal power.     

13 hours ago, BillF said:

In my case the university reading lists were often unrealistically long - and were condemned as such by academics in another university where I subsequently did a postgraduate degree - so missed texts were understandable and normal. More interesting are the ones I set out to read, but which defeated my efforts to finish them. There were only two: Middlemarch and Sir Walter Scott's Heart of Midlothian. Surprisingly, I had no trouble at all in reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall, although only a limited number of volumes were set. ^_^

I'm a fan of George Eliot, and that goes for Middlemarch, which I've read at least a couple of times.  However, I've never had any luck with Scott.  Not that I've tried very hard. 

14 hours ago, Leeway said:

I'm a fan of George Eliot, and that goes for Middlemarch, which I've read at least a couple of times.  However, I've never had any luck with Scott.  Not that I've tried very hard. 

I concede I might feel differently about Middlemarch now. My failure to finish it was over 50 years ago. :huh:

Edited by BillF

I struggled with 'Middlemarch' when I had to do it for 'A' Level - don't think I got more than 1/3 through - rescued by changing schools to different set texts. But I re-read it some years later (all the way through) and really enjoyed it (and I'm a lightweight who has little patience for or persistence with books that bore me, whatever canon they are part of).   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

6 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

I struggled with 'Middlemarch' when I had to do it for 'A' Level - don't think I got more than 1/3 through - rescued by changing schools to different set texts. But I re-read it some years later (all the way through) and really enjoyed it (and I'm a lightweight who has little patience for or persistence with books that bore me, whatever canon they are part of).   

I found the majority of the male characters to be thoroughly unappealing, particularly Will Ladislaw, who seemed quite a drip actually.  And Fred Vincy seemed to have too easy a path to redemption.  Too much fell into his lap, even if it didn't seem that way to him at the time.  I guess Sir James was reasonably sensible.  The book only really held my interest when we saw Lydgate struggling.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, BillF said:

Image result for julian barnes england

Clever satire which palls after a while. Although written nearly 20 years ago, it's depiction of England's retreat from internationalism into olde worlde insularity leaves you feeling uneasy today.

I enjoyed that when I read it a few years back (hadn't thought about it's connection with our current rush to 'independence'). Agree about it losing its grip - an interesting idea that doesn't quite sustain its promise.