Now reading...

I have to say the Abner Lonely Universe series sounds intriguing...

Anyway, in between the longer works, I have been reading some very short works as well.  Dino Buzzati's The Siren (which I personally found to be second- or even third-rate Borges) and Bellow's Seize the Day.  I do see what Bellow is going for -- showing just how far apart the middle aged man and his father are -- but the main character Tommy Wilhelm is just such a self-pitying mess.  I really can't stomach all the time we spend inside his head.  (I read this many years ago in undergrad and had more clinical detachment at that time.)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On December 26, 2016 at 2:36 AM, BillF said:

A fine little book.

Have just finished Zachary Leader's fascinating biography of Saul Bellow. Pleased to have got for £5 from an Amazon trader an apparently new hardback as shown, marked $40. A valued addition to the bookshelf.

28bellow-cover-blog427.jpg

I see the Bellow only goes to 1964. I wonder what Leader makes of the (as I perceive it) dour neocon years following. Maybe there are some surprises there. Would you say that Leader is simpatico with Bellow? 

1 hour ago, Leeway said:

I see the Bellow only goes to 1964. I wonder what Leader makes of the (as I perceive it) dour neocon years following. Maybe there are some surprises there. Would you say that Leader is simpatico with Bellow? 

Leader is certainly simpatico with Bellow, making excuses for his subject's often unacceptable behaviour, as biographers so often do. If part 2 ever gets written, there's got to be a falling off.

I reread Calvino's Invisible Cities -- always worth revisited.  I also read Primo Levi's The Periodic Table.  I liked it quite a bit.

I've finally gotten a few chapters into Vanity Fair.  It's quite interesting so far, but it is a brick of a novel.  My edition has all the illustrations Thackeray did, and is well over 800 pages!

10 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I've finally gotten a few chapters into Vanity Fair.  It's quite interesting so far, but it is a brick of a novel.  My edition has all the illustrations Thackeray did, and is well over 800 pages!

Wow! Another one that was on my university reading list. I didn't even attempt it!

11 hours ago, BillF said:

Wow! Another one that was on my university reading list. I didn't even attempt it!

VF is a funny book.  If one catches the current of its humor, it's clear sailing. 

Just finished:

51yfOZSFe2L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A useful book, with a wealth of detail, but sometimes wearying. O'Brian also seems to share his subject's chauvinism, and he's a bit too John Bull at times. The lack of photos and reproductions is another drawback. 

I read Vanity Fair about thirty years back and enjoyed it thoroughly (and I have a bad habit of giving up on very long, canonised tomes [probably as much for the canonised as the long] - didn't have any problem with this one. I was probably sustained by the prospect of the Battle of Waterloo turning up at some point.).

There was a very good BBC TV adaptation in 1998 with Natasha Little as a very fetching Becky Sharp. Out there on DVD somewhere. Won't get you culture vulture points but it's very entertaining.  

Edited by A Lark Ascending

98a26-hendersontherainking.jpg

A strange book, with its African setting quite unlike any other Bellow novel. Come to think of it, each of Bellow's first six novels, from Dangling Man  to Herzog, has its own distinctive character. After that - and I've only read the next two - he seems to be reworking a well-established furrow.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

98a26-hendersontherainking.jpg

A strange book, with its African setting quite unlike any other Bellow novel. Come to think of it, each of Bellow's first six novels, from Dangling Man  to Herzog, has its own distinctive character. After that - and I've only read the next two - he seems to be reworking a well-established furrow.

Not too long ago, I tried re-reading Henderson (I recall liking it considerably when I first read it several decades before) but gave up on it by page 50.  I found it cringe-inducing, I think mainly for the African setting, but the whole novel seemed meretricious.  I must have been in the wrong frame of mind, but am not sure I'm keen on trying again, even though one is always challenged by a Bellow work. 

12 hours ago, BillF said:

I agree.  I read his novels in chronological order, and they really started to sound about the same -- an uncle that cheated the narrator out of some large amount of money, one (or two) nagging ex-wives, generally some poking fun at the liberal sacred cow of the moment, etc.  I believe Ravelstein, his final novel, does break the mold, though I never got around to reading that one.  Of the late Bellow novels, the only one I really liked was The Dean's December.

5 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I agree.  I read his novels in chronological order, and they really started to sound about the same -- an uncle that cheated the narrator out of some large amount of money, one (or two) nagging ex-wives, generally some poking fun at the liberal sacred cow of the moment, etc.  I believe Ravelstein, his final novel, does break the mold, though I never got around to reading that one.  Of the late Bellow novels, the only one I really liked was The Dean's December.

I haven't read any of the late ones, but I'll give The Dean's December a try on your recommendation.

16 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I really enjoyed Ravelstein and would recommend it. I believe it's his heartfelt yet ironic tribute to his friend, philosopher Allen Bloom. 

Peter MaasThe Terrible Hours: The Man Behind the Greatest Submarine Rescue in History (HarperTorch)

51G-goGbe1L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

A non-fiction book on the rescue of men from the Squalis in 1939, U.S. Navy officer Charles "Swede" Momsen.  The submarine went down several hundred feet to the bottom of the sea in the North Atlantic.  I think this was the first successful rescue of men from a sunken submarine.  Momsen had been researching how to do an underwater rescue since the 1925 sinking of the S-51.   He work was often fought against by the Naval beauracracy.  Thrilling story.

Been reading about six books at once over the last couple of months (not recommended!) and finally brought three to completion:

Image result for life and fate

Longest novel I've read in a long time. Absolutely superb. Set in the period leading up to and just after the Russian counter-offensive at Stalingrad. Like War and Peace, there are a dozen or more scenarios with interlocking characters - Stalingrad itself, prisoner of war camps, the Lubyanka, Auschwitz, scientific laboratories, etc. Can get hard to to keep tabs on who is who, not helped by using surnames at some points, first name and patronym at others and then nicknames (there's a helpful dramatis personae at the end).  

A stunning evocation of the survival of the human spirit within both the maelstrom of war and the iron grip of totalitarianism. The way the main character, a nuclear scientist, is gradually trapped into betraying his fundamental beliefs by the oppressive system is brilliantly handled.   

I read a lot of Russian novels a few decades back - this has reignited my interest.

Image result for Kristina Ohlsson Silenced

A fairly run of the mill Scandi-noir. 

Image result for descent into the maelstrom

Enjoyed this very much. A book that pulls in two directions - you can sense that Toop's heart lies in the non-linear and he can give this free rein when describing music; but he's also writing a sort of chronological history which requires a degree of conventional narrative (the parts a square like myself like best). Fascinating accounts of early attempts at playing 'free' going right back to Percy Grainger - I particularly enjoyed the section on Derek Bailey playing in theatre and variety bands and then going off to The Little Theatre to play solo.

A bit po-faced and prone to take itself too seriously (I think that goes with the territory in the genre) but it did what all good music books do - had me re-listening to records and seeking out new ones to hear. Two more volume to follow taking the story into the 70s.   

Edited by A Lark Ascending

monkeywrench.jpg

Part pulp Western, part political manifesto, part anarchist cookbook, part Vietnam War flashback, and more, this is an interesting gallimaufry. It's been a while since I read Abbey, and am still a fan of his Desert Solitaire, one of the great books of eco-literature. This one is more troubling, albeit entertaining. 

51m3PlPdx+L._.jpg

Good jazz biography, stylistically divided between transcribed verbatim recollections by Stan and author's narrative. The latter are in a flamboyant style which recalls Mark Myers' writing in JazzWax. Is this today's jazz writing style? Curiously there are links with my other current reading, the novels of Saul Bellow. Stan speaks the language of Augie March, which I suppose isn't surprising as both were mid-20th century, Jewish urban Americans who moved from low life to social respectability..

Edited by BillF

6 hours ago, BillF said:

Good jazz biography, stylistically divided between transcribed verbatim recollections by Stan and author's narrative. The latter are in a flamboyant style which recalls Mark Myers' writing in JazzWax. Is this today's jazz writing style? Curiously there are links with my other current reading, the novels of Saul Bellow. Stan speaks the language of Augie Marsh, which I suppose isn't surprising as both were mid-20th century, Jewish urban Americans who moved from low life to social respectability..

That's a nice connection with Augie.