Now reading...

518TYJwNBzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fascinating and strongly recommended. Based on interviews in the 90s with 30 survivors of the classic era, ranging from big names (Mulligan, Konitz) to lesser known figures (Gene Allen, Don Ferrara). Many insights into intriguing musicians like Tony Fruscella and Dave Schildkraut.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

518TYJwNBzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fascinating and strongly recommended. Based on interviews in the 90s with 30 survivors of the classic era, ranging from big names (Mulligan, Konitz) to lesser known figures (Gene Allen, Don Ferrara). Many insights into intriguing musicians like Tony Fruscella and Dave Schildkraut.

Thanks for pointing out this book. Sounds very interesting. Will have to investigate a bit more to see if it is worth adding to my overcrowded music bookshelf. ;)

I sincerely hope it is more to the mark than these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Melody-Lingers-Scenes-Golden-Years/dp/1564741516/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501232938&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%22Music+lingers+on%22+Fox+West+Coast

Not that bad but more about West Coast pop celebs than about WCJ proper and some of it rambles on quite a bit. Not very focused and little to really complement the books by Gioia, Gordon and Tercinet.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Southwest-History-Western-Swing/dp/0292708602/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501233044&sr=1-1&keywords=oral+history+of+western+swing

Not bad either but mainly for want of a better and more comprehensive book. Clearly this book (and its subject matter in the form of an oral first-hand history) was written waaaay too late when most of those from the real heyday of Western Swing had already passed on or were unable to remember or contibute due to advanced age. So this book mainly focuses on post-war (i.e. post-1950) musicians and bands and therefore just manages to grab the VERY tail end of the music.

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Thanks for pointing out this book. Sounds very interesting. Will have to investigate a bit more to see if it is worth adding to my overcrowded music bookshelf. ;)

I sincerely hope it is more to the mark than these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Melody-Lingers-Scenes-Golden-Years/dp/1564741516/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501232938&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%22Music+lingers+on%22+Fox+West+Coast

Not that bad but more about West Coast pop celebs than about WCJ proper and some of it rambles on quite a bit. Not very focused and little to really complement the books by Gioia, Gordon and Tercinet.

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Southwest-History-Western-Swing/dp/0292708602/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501233044&sr=1-1&keywords=oral+history+of+western+swing

Not bad either but mainly for want of a better and more comprehensive book. Clearly this book (and its subject matter in the form of an oral first-hand history) was written waaaay too late when most of those from the real heyday of Western Swing had already passed on or were unable to remember or contibute due to advanced age. So this book mainly focuses on post-war (i.e. post-1950) musicians and bands and therefore just manages to grab the VERY tail end of the music.

Steve, I think you'll find that this book is the real McCoy - if I may use that anachronistic expression. ^_^

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518TYJwNBzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

IMG_3838-L.jpg

This is truly an amazing novel about the Vietnam War, that touches so many themes: the end of the War, Vietnamese in American society, commentary about American culture, being a mole (spying) and finding one's place.  It's not for nothing it won a Pulitzer. 

5 hours ago, Brad said:

IMG_3838-L.jpg

This is truly an amazing novel about the Vietnam War, that touches so many themes: the end of the War, Vietnamese in American society, commentary about American culture, being a mole (spying) and finding one's place.  It's not for nothing it won a Pulitzer. 

I agree!!

Halfway into Wuthering Heights.  For me it is a more successful novel than Jane Eyre, which didn't do a lot for me in the end, though I still am not that interested in the characters here.  I do find it fairly strange that these two families act as if there isn't a larger world outside with which they can interact and from which they can find partners.  Most other novels, including Jane Eyre, show a bit of socializing with neighbors further afield and even the occasional trip into town.  These folks (in Wuthering Heights) all act as if they are stuck in M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.

Re-reading Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury after this.

Then Gide's The Vatican Cellars.

On 8/9/2017 at 3:13 AM, BillF said:

41BH6DE3ETL.jpg

Came back to this after some years. Slightly put off by the postmodern cleverness, but sufficiently enjoyable for me to be reading another of her novels soon.

Unless is Shields' last completed novel.  It is a fairly straight-forward tale about a family in crisis with some allusions to Bellow's Herzog (the narrator also writes long (sometimes imaginary) letters to notable public figures).

7 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Unless is Shields' last completed novel.  It is a fairly straight-forward tale about a family in crisis with some allusions to Bellow's Herzog (the narrator also writes long (sometimes imaginary) letters to notable public figures).

I have read that and was thinking of returning to it sometime soon.