Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Working my way through Richler's The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.  Another book I should have read when I was much younger.  I'm having a lot of trouble relating to (or even being very interested in) the title character, who is basically a Jewish (and more more cynical and destructive) version of Ferris Bueller.

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Working my way through Richler's The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.  Another book I should have read when I was much younger.  I'm having a lot of trouble relating to (or even being very interested in) the title character, who is basically a Jewish (and more more cynical and destructive) version of Ferris Bueller.

Yes, I read it in my youth. It doesn't seem to have left much of an impact.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Keep going, Kinuta! He wrote a lot!

Foundation is an easier read than some of the others that are a bit long winded and feel padded.

I read them all in my twenties meaning a fifty year gap in which to forget the plots.

All this started when I was about to reread The Gods Themselves, then thought better of it and hit the Robots/Empire/Foundation series instead.

I'm saving The Gods Themselves, which is a favourite, for last.

I decided to tackle The Great Indian Novel by Shashi Tharoor.  This is a recasting of the Mahabharata with Indian politicians covering roughly 1917-1980.  Not surprisingly, my knowledge of Indian politics isn't very deep with only a passing familiarity to Gandhi, Nehru and Indira Gandhi.  I've decided to just go ahead and read through the novel, which is fairly engaging, and then I'll go back to the Wikipedia article that explains all the references.

After this, Thrity Umrigar's Bombay Time.

Then assuming it is in at the library, Anita Majumdar's Fish Eyes Trilogy.