Now reading...

On 6/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, Brad said:

I have picked this one up by the great crime writer Dorothy Hughes

C7EF2CA5-EEA9-4EC4-81FB-554F2DA2F007.jpeg

After a few detours, I finished this book. It’s both a crime novel and a commentary on race relations in the early 60s as the accused is a black doctor who, but for his race, would be treated differently.  This is my second Hughes club and they’re well worth reading. 

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 7/7/2018 at 11:16 PM, ejp626 said:

Kafka's Amerika (the newish translation).

59766.jpg

I think Hofmann makes a number of inexcusable editorial decisions.  One character's name keeps jumping back and forth from Mack to Mak, and there is a point where Karl is told to head "east" to San Francisco, while he is in New York.  I just don't see the point of this, as it is super distracting and doesn't add anything to the enjoyment/understanding of the novel.  (Hofman's attempts to justify his choices just don't make any sense to me.)  I'll get through this but then donate my copy elsewhere and keep the Muir translation.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

I hated this book. What's your take?

I loved the first couple of chapters but it got too depressing for me by the end.  However it did nail the fetishism of us collectors.  Also name checked several good Paramount blues sides. Shortly after finishing it I did spend a couple of days listening to a friend's 78 jazz collection played on his special equipment.  I felt like one of the misfits in the book. 

7 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I loved the first couple of chapters but it got too depressing for me by the end.  However it did nail the fetishism of us collectors.  Also name checked several good Paramount blues sides. Shortly after finishing it I did spend a couple of days listening to a friend's 78 jazz collection played on his special equipment.  I felt like one of the misfits in the book. 

The collecting parts didn't bother me. The rest did.

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

I felt like one of the misfits in the book. 

As bad as Joe Buzzard and John Tefteller? :D If I got your impressions right they must be prime candidates for this category. ;)

@medjuck & Paul Secor:

Would you mind elaborating on your impressions/mixed-feeling reactions? To me, at first glance this sounds like a fun book to read, even (or particularly) if it is fictional. I guess I can poke fun and laugh a bit at myself and my (probably not THAT terminal) collectionitis and probably don't take myself 100% seriously in that respect. But I am eager to listen if my impressions I got from your comments are way off. So ... what is it that annoys you with this book? Where does it get unbearable? (Thx ..)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

As bad as Joe Buzzard and John Tefteller? :D If I got your impressions right they must be prime candidates for this category. ;)

@medjuck & Paul Secor:

Would you mind elaborating on your impressions/mixed-feeling reactions? To me, at first glance this sounds like a fun book to read, even (or particularly) if it is fictional. I guess I can poke fun and laugh a bit at myself and my (probably not THAT terminal) collectionitis and probably don't take myself 100% seriously in that respect. But I am eager to listen if my impressions I got from your comments are way off. So ... what is it that annoys you with this book? Where does it get unbearable? (Thx ..)

Here's my review on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2115750751?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1
Not a long review, but I didn't feel that the novel deserved one.

19 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Here's my review on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2115750751?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1
Not a long review, but I didn't feel that the novel deserved one.

Thanks. Sounds like a book that indulges in clichés.

Any other opinions?

BTW: I had to snicker when I saw the "second" pic of the author you linked in the comments section of your review. THAT photo seems to say "Oh my god, what book did I write there??" :lol:

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Thanks. Sounds like a book that indulges in clichés.

Any other opinions?

BTW: I had to snicker when I saw the "second" pic of the author you linked in the comments section of your review. THAT photo seems to say "Oh my god, what book did I write there??" :lol:

Very magic realist/supernatural but within that genre ties things up at the end though not happily.   I liked it a lot more than Paul did. 

On 7/7/2018 at 11:31 PM, jlhoots said:

I really liked The Immortalists.

Only just started this, but am enjoying it so far.  Another interesting book involving a prophecy (and how it impacted the lives of those who heard it) is The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma.

After I wrap this up and return to the library, it will be Mann's Felix Krull.  Or rather Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man: The Early Years.  (I had meant to pair this with Melville's The Confidence-Man, but the plans went a bit awry...)

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

51f2RUUrr5L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Very much enjoying this. Thanks Brad!

Reigniting my latent interest in things Spanish and memories of trips to both cities.

Glad you are enjoying it. Not just a football book but it mixes history and politics skillfully.