Now reading...

has anyone read guns germs and steel? i've been meaning to get that off of amazon. it seems like the in book to have read around my town.

Read it a few years ago and found it very thought provoking and entertaining. I would definitely recommend it.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

has anyone read guns germs and steel? i've been meaning to get that off of amazon. it seems like the in book to have read around my town.

I also would highly recommend it, as well as Diamond's earlier book the Third Chimpanzee, and if you like those there is a good book called, I think, the Great Human Diaspora by Cavalli-Sforza that is an excellent place to go next.

--eric

The Spiritual Teachings of Ralph Waldo Emerson by Richard Geldard. The more I read of Emerson, the more I'm convinced that he is America's greatest theologian. Very interesting to see how his conviction that everyone needs to have an "...original relation with the universe" is still a radical call in this day and age.

0970109733.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

roomfullcov.jpg

How was it?

I dig it, it's been a long time since I read a Jimi bio. There were pre-London facts I didn't know about. He had a pretty fucked up chilhood.

Have you read Charles Sharr Murray's Crosstown Traffic? It's excellent, though more of a critical study of the music than a biography..

No, I guess I should.

The Essentials of Christian Philosophy by Etienne Gilson. I almost want to cry in wonder reading this book because.....

1. Only France could have produced such a mind like Gilson's, especially pre-WWII Paris. Just a wonderful culture of logic, breadth, and love of learning underlying this book. A culture was lost after the war.

2. When Catholic theology/philosophy was up for grabs after WWII, there was a romantic quest by Thomistic scholars to try to become the major influence in theology. History shows that they failed, but what a wonderful failure.

3. The humanness of Thomas Aquinas, who saw in the human intellect something to rejoice in, and that there was a absolute obligation to follow the truth, whereever it led. Or to quote my old metaphysics teacher, Sr. Mary O.P., when I asked her what the heck I was spending a year on metaphysics for: "Matthew, the search for truth is the search for God."

4. It's great to read a book that makes you think about reality in a truly philosophical way.