Now reading...

15 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

"As far as I can see the Vichy govt. was a pure puppet of Germany and had zero credibility or independent decision making power."

Tainted as it was by links to Nazi Germany, that government was in tune with deep strains in French society, ones that still vigorously exist.

Indeed ... I am no expert on this but have snapped up information here and there (as chronicled by French and German historians). It is true that there was not so small a part of French society that embraced what VIchy stood for (without being pleased by the defeat against Germany, of course, but still ...).

As an aside and of added interest to those interested in this part of French history within the KEY area of interest of THIS forum, may I recommend for further reading:

"Jazz et société sous l'Occupation" by Gérard Régnier (Ed.L'Harmattan, 2009).

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Indeed ... I am no expert on this but have snapped up information here and there (as chronicled by French and German historians). It is true that there was not so small a part of French society that embraced what VIchy stood for (without being pleased by the defeat against Germany, of course, but still ...).

As an aside and of added interest to those interested in this part of French history within the KEY area of interest of THIS forum, may I recommend for further reading:

"Jazz et société sous l'Occupation" by Gérard Régnier (Ed.L'Harmattan, 2009).

An enlightening, highly detailed book is Robert Gildea's "Marianne in Chains: Daily Life in the Heart of France During the German Occupation" (Metropolitan Books, 2003).

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

An enlightening, highly detailed book is Robert Gildea's "Marianne in Chains: Daily Life in the Heart of France During the German Occupation" (Metropolitan Books, 2003).

Do you think Alan Furst's books capture it well? 

Edited by medjuck

12 hours ago, medjuck said:

Do you think Alan Furst's books capture it well? 

I'm a big fan of Furst -- the early books up through "The Polish Officer" more than the ones set in France, as entertaining as those books are -- but no, I don't think that he captures the reality of the Vichy regime and the Occupation that well. For one thing IIRC his later books are mostly Paris-centric, and the social-political realities of Vichy France and the Occupation -- in terms of what the French did and did not do, how they adjusted to, accommodated to, etc. the Vichy regime and the Germans -- IIRC are just not his focus.

From the jacket blurb for Gildea's book: 

"In France, the German occupation is called simply the 'dark years.' It is remembered as a time of hunger, fear, cold, and the absence of freedom, when the French population was cruelly and consistently oppressed by the enemy. There were only the  'good French' who resisted and the bad French' who collaborated. Marianne in Chains ... uncovers a very different story, one in which the truth is more complex and humane.

"...Gildea reveal everyday life in the heart of France. He describes the pressing imperatives of work, food, transportation, and family obligations that led to unavoidable compromise and negotiation with the army of occupation. In the process, he sheds light on such subjects as forced labor, the role of the Catholic Church, the 'horizontal collaboration' between French women and German soldiers, and most surprising, the ambivalent attitude of ordinary people toward the Resistance, which was often dismissed as a bunch of bandits who were militarily irrelevant."

Further, and strikingly IMO, Gildea delves into the intense post-war French myth-making about who did what during the time of Vichy and the occupation and why. "[After June 1944] the gospel of Resistance and Liberation was already overlaying the complexities of the Occupation, and it would be a long time before [one might say, if ever -- even to this day]  all the truths were out."

On 4/20/2019 at 6:08 AM, Brad said:

There is a difference between going along and being an active participant; that's why Laval was executed and Petain sentenced to death (although the sentence was not carried out). In addition, Vichy remained in control of its colonies in North Africa and the Middle East; they fought the Allies and had to be actively subdued. 

Per what @Brad and @Larry Kart said, the legacy is simultaneously more nuanced and more ugly than merely going along.  The Vichy gov't had its own policy priorities and had some leeway to defy and/or supplement German initiatives when it wished to do so.  They (or at least many of them) viewed murdering of Jews as a feature, not a bug, of Nazi domination - hence much of the subsequent revulsion and shame.

Also, the early Furst books *are* highly recommended if you like high quality fiction.

Edited by Guy Berger

I have never read the Furst books so will need to check them out. 

In a slightly different vein, the French TV series A French Village, which details like in a fictional French village during Vichy, appears to be good; I started watching it recently.  It’s on Hulu.  I believe I read that it was a big hit in France. 

Edited by Brad

I'm not back in college, just pretending.  This book is packed with examples, formulas, how-to's, etc.   I am trying to predict how much a customer is willing to pay for a product in the future.  The book is thick, the print is small, and the only pictures are of spreadsheets.

515vj0a8NpL._SX389_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

BillF and other UKers, I just got a used copy of this—haven’t started it yet, but thought it might resonate with you: 51DTYNC8BXL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Never read these but will look at checking them out. The second novel had the most profile over here, back in the 1980s during the ‘jazz boom’.

R-375426-1484300433-8582.jpeg.jpg

An unlikely combination of Bowie, Patsy Kensit, Gil Evans and Mingus (not forgetting the then London resident, Slim! ).

9 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

BillF and other UKers, I just got a used copy of this—haven’t started it yet, but thought it might resonate with you: 51DTYNC8BXL._SX300_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I bought that same edition a few years back. I had always wanted to investigate the novels as they have such a strong place in the city's cultural history.

I struggled with the language of race in the first one and gave up. I often feel I should have persevered.

I'll be  interested to hear what you make of them.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Never read these but will look at checking them out. The second novel had the most profile over here, back in the 1980s during the ‘jazz boom’.

R-375426-1484300433-8582.jpeg.jpg

An unlikely combination of Bowie, Patsy Kensit, Gil Evans and Mingus (not forgetting the then London resident, Slim! ).

That was a right dog's breakfast. I saw it at the cinema. I remember the times well, coincided with my early years in London (Bar Italia!) and my early explorations of Jazz. Happy days indeed.

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That was a right dog's breakfast. I saw it at the cinema. I remember the times well, coincided with my early years in London (Bar Italia!) and my early explorations of Jazz. Happy days indeed.

I associate this one with around the time that Sade got to number 1 and jazz as background music in wine bars was ‘hip’.

I think I only ever saw the film on TV and fell asleep.

51El0kOMO2L._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

very much enjoying this. Took me a while to warm to it but thoroughly warmed now.  I still remember the impact of 'Time Of Our Singing' ('Orfeo', a lot less)

An apt follow on from this that I've just finished

Image result for macfarlane landmarks

Edited by mjazzg

Just curious.  How long do you guys give a book before you give up and move on?  When there are so many good books out there just waiting to be read, I find that I'm giving them pretty short shrift if I don't connect with them fairly quickly.  

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

Just curious.  How long do you guys give a book before you give up and move on?  When there are so many good books out there just waiting to be read, I find that I'm giving them pretty short shrift if I don't connect with them fairly quickly.  

Depends. If I can't get into it at all, I'll stop at 50pgs.

If I'm on the fence I might read a third of the book.

Agree with your second sentence completely.