Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1972051.standard.jpg

Only a couple pages left of Herzog on Herzog.  Been really enjoying this series of late.  Last one I read was Trier on Von Trier and next will likely be Cassavetes on Cassavetes.  That is, once I plow through all the Herzog films I've been reading about...

Von Trier, Cassevetes, and Herzog. All in a row. Are you some kind of cinemasochist, Brandon?

("Plough through" isn't exactly the most spritely of adjectives to apply to a voluntary project -- or are you being coerced in some way?)

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Robert Stone's A FLAG FOR SUNRISE yesterday and started in on THE AGE OF DOUBT:  AMERICAN THOUGHT AND CULTURE IN THE 1940s, by William Graebner.

A Flag For Sunrise is a great book.

If you haven't read Damascus Gate you should (IMHO).

I just started Luis Alberto Urrea: The Hummingbird's Daughter.

Just finished Robert Stone's A FLAG FOR SUNRISE yesterday and started in on THE AGE OF DOUBT:  AMERICAN THOUGHT AND CULTURE IN THE 1940s, by William Graebner.

A Flag For Sunrise is a great book.

If you haven't read Damascus Gate you should (IMHO).

I picked up a used hardback several years ago, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet... it's next on my R. Stone list (I'm a big fan of DOG SOLDIERS).

Now reading: Geoffrey O'Brien -- Sonata for Jukebox: Pop Music, Memory, and the Imagined Life

Any good?

Good so far. It seems like it's going to alternate his pop music reviews from NYRB with reminiscences of growing up in the 50s and 60s as part of a musical family: grandfather former dance-band leader, father NY top 40 DJ, one brother a Classical fanatic, the other a bebop aficionado.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Just finished "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. 700 pages but it still felt like he just skimmed the surface, especially from WWII to the present. Interesting prespective from someone on the far left of the dial. I just started "Freakonomics" last night. Pretty good so far. Here's a link http://www.freakonomics.com/

:tup for anything by Robert Stone.

Edited by Chalupa

Harold, I barely remember that book, time for me to reread it soon as well.  Great cover!  (Never saw THAT cover before!)

Yeah...I dig that cover 'cause it shows how Vonnegut was marketed in his earlier days.

I'm actually rereading from a slightly later edition ($1.25) with a purple cover and slightly less trashy look that was the second copy I bought ( the first either fell apart or I lent it to someone).

Harold, I barely remember that book, time for me to reread it soon as well.  Great cover!  (Never saw THAT cover before!)

Yeah...I dig that cover 'cause it shows how Vonnegut was marketed in his earlier days.

I'm actually rereading from a slightly later edition ($1.25) with a purple cover and slightly less trashy look that was the second copy I bought ( the first either fell apart or I lent it to someone).

I remember the purple-cover edition: That's the one I read in high school! The cover was still trashy enough for me to try to hide it when walking through the halls.