Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Great Inluenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History, by John M. Barry. Can't imagine what gave me the notion to pick this one up...

Seriously, the first few chapters, about the state of medicine in the United States in the 19th century, are eye-opening and frightening. Most states didn't even require any certification for doctors at all! Medical schools had no requirements. Yikes!

The Great Inluenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History, by John M. Barry.  Can't imagine what gave me the notion to pick this one up...

Seriously, the first few chapters, about the state of medicine in the United States in the 19th century, are eye-opening and frightening.  Most states didn't even require any certification for doctors at all!  Medical schools had no requirements.  Yikes!

Similar to today's requirements for Supreme Court justices.

:w

• 2 weeks later...

I had read the Bechet bio years ago and was astounded at the poetic turn of phrase to be found in many parts. I was then told by someone in the publishing game that it was ghost written by a then-famous writer of the time. But dadblast it, I can't be sure. The name John Ciardi comes to mind, but I'm not sure. Whoops-I just asked my wife who knows all this stuff. She confirms that it was Ciardi!

The Great Inluenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History, by John M. Barry.  Can't imagine what gave me the notion to pick this one up...

Seriously, the first few chapters, about the state of medicine in the United States in the 19th century, are eye-opening and frightening.  Most states didn't even require any certification for doctors at all!  Medical schools had no requirements.  Yikes!

Whaddaya want, anyway? They're just body mechanics.

Trial and error.

How about that bird flu?

Whaddaya want, anyway? They're just body mechanics.

Trial and error.

How about that bird flu?

Yeah, and "science" is no better than homeopathy...and y'cain't prove no diffrent, dagnabit!!

How about that bird flu, you ask? Just one mutation from armagedon. In a word, "yikes."

On a Phillip Roth kick, I guess. Just finished My Life as a Man. Pretty harrowing. An account of a Strindbergian marriage, a true Dance of Death. But somehow funny, too.

Not as good as The Ghost Writer, but probably Roth's first triumph after being seriously derailed by the aftermath of Portnoy's Complaint.