ghost of miles

Now reading...

8,455 posts in this topic

Xochitl Gonzales: Olga Dies Dreaming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In bits and pieces, Allan Sutton Directory of American disc record brands and manufacturers 1891-1943

31I7RNgRWzL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

More complete than Rust's old book on the subject, which just stuck to what jazz fans would be interested in.

 

MG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bright Moments said:

A Visit from the Goon Squad

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emily St. John Mandel: Sea Of Tranquility

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jennifer Egan: The Candy House

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The narrator of this book is Joseph Roth’s Rebellion. Half the book deals with Roth and the other with the current owner, whose grandfather saved it from a Nazi book burning in 1933. Unusual and strange book. 

7769B188-50B1-4CD7-B7B1-31415F29075F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brad said:

The narrator of this book is Joseph Roth’s Rebellion. Half the book deals with Roth and the other with the current owner, whose grandfather saved it from a Nazi book burning in 1933. Unusual and strange book. 

7769B188-50B1-4CD7-B7B1-31415F29075F.jpeg

that's one of the Joseph Roth books I know the least... sound very interesting ... (moving in with my girlfirend soon, so the Joseph Roth Poster will probably have to move to my office... those tradeoffs...moving the record collection to my office is not an option for various reasons)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Niko said:

that's one of the Joseph Roth books I know the least... sound very interesting ... (moving in with my girlfirend soon, so the Joseph Roth Poster will probably have to move to my office... those tradeoffs...moving the record collection to my office is not an option for various reasons)

Have you read the Radetzky March?  There was also the sequel, the Emperor’s Tomb. Not as good as the Radetzky March but still worthwhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while but I read most of Roth's ficition and quite a bit of the non-fiction at some point... I liked the Emperor's Tomb a lot actually, other favorites were Flight without End (best of the early work, can also be read as an indirect sequel to Radetzky March even though the family is named Tunda there and not Trotta) and Weights and Measures (my favorite among his Eastern Jewish themed work, I like it better than Job for instance)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, jazzbo said:

Sarah Ruden is an excellent classical scholar and has a very interesting view into the time of the Gospels and her translation is intriguing and thought-provoking.

 

 

 

I know you are no dabbler in this stuff, and have ordered a copy on the basis of this post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Niko said:

It's been a while but I read most of Roth's ficition and quite a bit of the non-fiction at some point... I liked the Emperor's Tomb a lot actually, other favorites were Flight without End (best of the early work, can also be read as an indirect sequel to Radetzky March even though the family is named Tunda there and not Trotta) and Weights and Measures (my favorite among his Eastern Jewish themed work, I like it better than Job for instance)

Thanks. I haven’t read his other work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I know you are no dabbler in this stuff, and have ordered a copy on the basis of this post.

Cool. If you like this translation, her book on Paul is very interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to the next Don Winslow: City On Fire - comes out next week, 1st of a trilogy, the other 2 are finished & he says these are his last books. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2022 at 2:31 PM, jlhoots said:

Looking forward to the next Don Winslow: City On Fire - comes out next week, 1st of a trilogy, the other 2 are finished & he says these are his last books. 

Arrived!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"A contemporary Iliad" apparently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, ghost of miles said:

Damn, this is a good book.  Really seems to capture the vibe of 1969, at least from the vantage point of being on the road with the Stones--a road that's leading to Altamont:

51+0JxYMorL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stanley Booth is a Memphian and, I believe, lives in my neighborhood.  He has a collection about Memphis musicians called Rhythm Oil that I can hardly recommend highly enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Stanley Booth is a Memphian and, I believe, lives in my neighborhood.  He has a collection about Memphis musicians called Rhythm Oil that I can hardly recommend highly enough.

Yep, I picked that one up after reading True Adventures, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  Fascinating writer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Fenton: We Own This City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jess Walter: Beautiful Ruins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Der Fremde.“ (Albert Camus) – Buch antiquarisch kaufen – A02uQtUV01ZZX

Otherwise known as L'Etranger. Yes, this one also belonged to my mother. Purchase date Sep. 1961. I believe this is where the idea for The Cure's Killing an arab comes from. I think I already read it, but like 40 years ago. So I'm rereading it.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:31 PM, jlhoots said:

Looking forward to the next Don Winslow: City On Fire - comes out next week

That's one I've ordered from my regular bookshop as well. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read almost anything he's put out. But there's his debut from 1991, I think, which I can't get hold of. And I ordered it but it's OOP. I think it's called something like Underground. If anybody has a clue as to how to find it I'd be very grateful.

Edited by Bluesnik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.