Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After recovering, let me say that I had a Japanese LP of this which I sold when the first CD was released, which I missed, hunted down on ebay after several years only to read that an RVG was coming up a few months later ... I guess my concentration was gone when this last track on the LP was heard - contary to you, John, I now can appreciate it much more than on the LP where I hardly noticed its qualities!

More about the doorbellists in the answers thread!

# 7: Every BT includes a track from a CD or musician I considered for my own. Here 'tis, one of my favourite albums of this artist, track 1 from this CD.

that was a great track. I will keep my eyes open for this album. :tup

You will not be disappointed! One of the most original albums in his discography, unique instrumentation, and this cat wrote some of the sexiest ballads of all time!

This already starts to get embarassing... :huh:

I have said album by the guy with them doorbells (and I'm inclined to say I love, although I obviously don't know it as good as I should, to say such a thing...).

And those "strings" I did refer to, that's ONE upright only?!? Alright, I know some guys can produce lots of sound on it, and this may even be a technique adopted from classical playing, but, HELL, I OUGHT TO LISTEN WITH A WHOLE LOTTA MORE CONCENTRATION :wacko:

Thanks for checking the Mosaic about the Shaw track - it might thus be Freddie H., but I still rather think about Woody. Would have to relisten.

ubu

Have not had time yet to listen to disc 2, but here are my initial impressions of disc 1:

DISC ONE

1. Sounds like a late 40’s ensemble... a la Dizzy, with latin percussion. I don’t have enough experience with that stuff to be able to say exactly what this is, but it's nice. I should listen to this kind of thing more often. I'll have to listen again to see if any other ideas come to me...

2. 1970’s? Like the energy, admire the musicianship... but not my cup of tea. Pianist reminds me a bit of Tyner. Nice trumpet chops... Woody Shaw? Freddie Hubbard also comes to mind, but I haven't heard much of his work from that era.

3. Nice laid back feel. Good solos, atmospheric, timeless quality... pleasant, if not terribly memorable for me.

4. Interesting, and very spirited performance, but a little primitive sounding for my taste. I don’t get off much on things with so much emphasis on percussion. Alto solo has its moments, but kind of rambles on too long for me. Nice recording quality, though (nice texture). The vocals are kind of fun, but also kind of tedious...

5. Not my thing. Pretty intense... and pretty monotonous. Obviously these are skilled musicians, I just don’t care for this kind of music. I think I would always choose silence over this kind of thing.

6. Nice change of pace from #’s 4 and 5, but... I didn’t really dig the tune, and... I think I hate both of these singers (some moments here that remind me of one of those American Idol ads... “that was bloody awful”). ;)

7. Recognized this tune immediately, and once I realized it wasn’t the Eddie Jefferson version, I knew it must be this (first track): http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aomkcu32gan2k

8. Lost me again. No real clue, and no real interest.

9. That’s got to be Johnny Hodges (with Duke, I’ll assume). I recognize the theme, and should know the title, but I honestly don’t. Never was a big band aficianado, and after all these years I’m still trying to catch up with these classics.

10. Another classic sound. I know the group, I know the tune, the only question is which version... I’ll say (track 4): http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Atztxlfaegcqp

11. Never heard this before. “Crucificado” ?... pretty nice groove, but none of the musicians really knock me out individually.

DISC TWO:

1. Another piece with a simple structure... a relaxed mood. This one I like. If this isn’t Gil Evans’ work, it’s Evans-inspired. Wait a minute... is this from Burrell’s “Guitar Forms”? Wow... I haven’t played that in so long, I’m not sure. Never one of my favorite KB albums, for some reason.

2. Betty Carter, a very distinctive vocalist. Not a big favorite, but I do enjoy a lot of her work. Never heard this particular track. Nice rhythm section... but I’m not prepared to guess who...

3. Ooooh, yeah!! THIS is more up my alley. I’ve never heard this particular track either, but I have heard the tune- the theme from “Golden Boy” (aka “Night Song”). I don’t think I’ve ever heard a vocal version, so these lyrics are brand new to me. That sounds like Mr. Burrell on guitar again (?)- sweet, at any rate. The tempo on this is slower than I’m used to for this tune (off the top of my head, I’ve got versions by Blakey, Burrell, and Eric Alexander, all of which are a bit quicker).

4. Not my style once again... never heard it. Could this be Dave Pike? Hutcherson? I don’t know...

5. Like disc 1, track 3, I find this pleasant and “atmospheric” (what the hell does that mean, anyway? ;)). I probably wouldn’t buy it, but if it came on the radio, I wouldn’t shut it off (in other words, it holds my attention and interest to some degree). This guitar playing (particularly sound-wise) is outside my main realm of current interest, but I find it pretty tasty nonetheless... kind of takes me back to certain sounds I liked in the 70’s.

6. Once again, a simple structure used as a taking-off point for relaxed exploration. Once again, it meanders and wanders a bit more than I would prefer, but it has a relaxing quality which I like. I like the interaction on this, and I can follow it better than some of the more “out” explorations on these discs.

7. The flute solo was okay... I don’t like the piano playing. Forgive me, but... zzzzzzzzzz. It was bad enough that it went over 10 minutes. Now it’s at 17, and... give it a rest, please!

8. Too busy, right off the bat. Kind of laid back and meandering again, but more chaotic. I’m at the 5-minute mark, and this is just annoying to my ears- especially the reed players, who are getting in each others way, IMO. The piano is kind of soothing (that’s the only nice thing I can come up with right now). Ah well, to each their own. Not for me, alas.

9. I don’t like this, but at least this demonstrates some structure, some technique, some discipline, some direction. This has tremendous energy, but for me it’s tiresome and unfulfilling.

10. I prefer Earth music. :g Does nothing for me.

11. The tune is “Exactly Like You”. I don’t like the tenor’s phrasing. I don’t like the drummer. Hmm... I don’t like the bassist. I’m not liking the pianist’s comping. I’m not liking the trumpet solo. I’m not liking the piano solo. Ouch, this is really very weak, IMO.

Wow, this disc went downhill for me after a nice start. A lot of these tracks are so loose... decent musicianship at times, but less than memorable meandering that many an amateur could execute, IMO. Too little foundation on a lot of this, too little of the jazz language that I can relate to. Oh well.

Well, I’m sure there are going to be some responses here that are far more positive than mine, but I had to be honest about my own reactions. Anyway, I’m looking forward to reading this thread now, and I want to find out more about a few of these pieces! Thanks Randy.

This already starts to get embarassing...  :huh:

I have said album by the guy with them doorbells (and I'm inclined to say I love, although I obviously don't know it as good as I should, to say such a thing...).

And those "strings" I did refer to, that's ONE upright only?!? Alright, I know some guys can produce lots of sound on it, and this may even be a technique adopted from classical playing, but, HELL, I OUGHT TO LISTEN WITH A WHOLE LOTTA MORE CONCENTRATION  :wacko:

To listen more closely, and with my collection in mind, that's my lesson, too. I have been cutting down on jazz in recent years because I listened to much classical and latin and ethnic music, but to keep with these tests I have to accept the challenge of changing my listening habits once more. I have been listening to jazz now for as many years as you are on this earth, and this sh.. happens to me!

Vibraphonists will be playing doorbells in my ears now until eternity!!! :P

And yes, that double bass bowing technique is from classical music. That's agreat arranger who can make such a small band sound much larger. Right now I marvel at Duke Pearson's writing for Blue Mitchell's Blue Note sessions, where he make 4 or 5 horns sound like a big band!

Edited by mikeweil

disk 2

track 1. UrangoTango! (track 3) Great track from a great album.

track 2. Deep Night. My guess is Betty Carter, not very familiar with her work, but her name itches in the back of my head, so I'll go with it. I am not much of a fan of that fast 'n furious stuff like it starts after the first chorus by the singer (around 0:55); it's rarely functional. Cheating a bit and checking with AMG I see that the singer has indeed performed the song on this album.

track 3. this works better than track 6 of the previous disk, but I am not much in a holiday mood. This reminds me of a Disney Christmas feel good movie with cute animals doing cute things and hopping through the snow in the woods and the good winning in the end. This picks up momentum further into it and on revisiting it; maybe not so bad after all. Still starts off rather shite though... Oh, and I haven't got a clue who's performing, not something I'd go out of my way to acquire.

track 4. doorbells with bass and drums. This would probably have me on edge in its original context; it's a bit out of place here though. Hey, I DO like it! It sounds as if this may be part of a longer suite?

track 5. yech. sorry, no likee, no likee at all. certainly not after the pointed stuff before, much too smooth.

track 6. funky fusion. Sounds like Head Hunters to me.Some nicely relaxed horn & piano solos, nicely contrasting with the busy rhythm background. This sounds like it was made before jazz died on us. The geetarr solo gets more in tune with the busy-ness.

track 7. klengklengkleng. The opening promises that it's either gonna be great or complete shite. Not much room there. In one way it holds up, in another it doesn't. I bet this is really great music when having that drunk but hightened awareness in combination with physically feeling tired like you could sleep for weeks. The intro doesn't really fit with that though, so in that respect, it doesn't hold up. I'm curious as to what this is and may actually try it out on one of those occasions (though they get rarer and rarer with age...)

track 8. There's a lot going on and there's a lot of conviction in the music. I need some more listenings to get passed the percussion, which gets on my nerves quite a bit. Part of this repels me and part of it draws me in. I haven't decided yet on which is which and on which is stronger.

track 9. Drats! I know this one. (the thing is, when you're certain you know it, but can't put a finger on it, you're (rathet: I'm) not able to guess anything anymore.) I hope someone has posted the correct answer to this one. Otherwise I'll go nuts until someone does...

track 10. Does definitely not rock my boat. This is a bit too minimalistic from my tastes. The sound concept seems to exclude the story from the music.

track 11. Exactly Like You. I don't like the bassist one bit. This is very badly miked and it detracts from the music. It sounds very disjointed. The trumpet (badly miked) and the tenor (too loud) are rather okay, but that's hard to judge with that bass getting in the way all the time. Probably these are VERY famous guys and I am gonna make a fool of myself in not recognizing them, but this is one of those cases where recording quality does detract from the musical qualities. I bet I would enjoy this if I knew who these players were, but the joy would be of an entirely different quality. couw closes curious.

Thanks a lot for these two disks Randy. As I wrote before, I am not much in the mood for being grabbed at the moment, save by stuff I pull from my own collection. Nevertheless, there were a lot of tunes I liked quite a bit or even a lot and I am sure that once you reveal the answers I will check some of them out or at least keep them in mind on the short list.

Edited by couw

drats, no clues on 9 and 11 yet...

hope you don't go nuts right now! There will certainly be someone to step in and tell you what 2-9 is (not me, though... :w )

I did not like the closing track that much, either (although I was a bit hesitant to express it in words as harsh as others did use) - I'm looking forward to being told who's playing there, too!

ubu

Well I will post as I let it go down today. Boy this was a tough one. (like they all aren't, heh). I can't figure out a weave here if there is one and that's good. Can't wait to read the posts here so there ain't no way I'm gonna know anymore the more I listen. From Randy's avatar he looks like such a normal guy? :g Here goes:

Disc 1:

Track 1- Great opener... has a fantastic sit up and listen (i have incorporated this for my BFT) but alas no idea. Some conga amidst the blowing might make the googling easier.

Track 2- Some minor eastern influences but this drummer has me confused. It sounds older but this drummer is playing a bit more automated at times for this to be a classic slice of post hard bop, no?

Track 3- A gift... GL from BH & SR

Track 4- Boy, I just don't know this stuff at all. Is it a bit too restrained and more classic call and response than an AEC date? Sorry Chuck I just ain't hip yet to afro-chicago

Track 5- Love this left hand noir. And the beginning surge of the rhythm sec. Plays very well after the last cut, though. Wow this thing unfold like that Hadley whazzhisfaz from Jsngry's test. Great, great stuff!!

Track 6- I'm sure this will be a big surprise. Fantastic sound here but just can't dance to it.

Track 7- As of first listen this is the one that will probably suck a bit of PayPal out of me.

Track 8- ... nice arco seg. These last two HAVE to go together. Sweet cue! No clue.

Track 9- Save any further emberassment in that when it comes to that big beautifull post Ellington sound I don't know beans.

Track 10- Another gift... w/ the classic 4Tet

Track 11- 'Last call and the bride's already dressed so let's hit the bar one more time and see if any late hangers want to cha cha.' Oh wait now the vocals... was this on a Murray album. Gosh I have no history for this test.

Disc 2:

Track 1- Absolutely no clue as to this cross shifting big band. Rather a bit of exotica with maybe a Burrell solo in the middle.

Track 2- BC from that one older album of hers that every body should have but I don't. Had that Grammy winner for a spit but it seems to me that that's what she needs to do so I don't find her that alluring despite her raves.

Track 3- Hartman-esque vibrato on these two but no clue. Some BN flute date from the post eighties.

Track 4- A Hutcherson trio piece? It has a lot more echo than most of his. Is that true or am I just imagining. This is a very nice piece and not as avant as I first imagined.

Track 5- A beautifully done cut. Intrigued to find out who? Not Frisell or Abercrombie, or is it? Bit too "new" for me though.

Track 6- Guitarist's date? Absolutely no clue.

Track 7- This one knocks me out as much as the long piano track on Disc One. Another nice bit of exotica, Lateef goes Dutch??

Track 8- My second favorite on this set. Seems a bit more modern. Truncated ending has me wanting a bit more if there was any?

Track 9- There's a standard under here somewhere.

Track, Track, Track, # # # !0, !0 !0...Sonny Rollins at the Hoover Dam.

Track 11- ZacklylikeU ... but that's all I can come up with.

Nicely done Randy... Now I can rip through this already well documented thread.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

OK.

Here goes nothing.

As I hinted at in my first post, I simply don't have the background for most of these tunes. To my ears, a lot of it sounded "too modern" and comes from styles/CDs I don't have and won't have for a while either. Nevertheless, having heard both CDs four times altogether, they gave me a very interesting and intense listening experience. Still, I'm totally, completely and nervewreckingly out of my depth here. My .1 cent worth:

CD 01:

Track 01: I really like this one. My dad says it's James Moody, but I don't have much of his stuff, so I can't verify that. My dad knows a lot of jazz though. He says hi. My parents are over for a few days. [Note: My mom hated just about everything on the discs <_< ].

Track 02: I like the drumming. Nice drum kit sound as well. I thought Tony Williams for a sec, but then I discarded that idea. I don't really know why. I like this tune as well, although it certainly isn't anything I would listen too all that much.

Track 03: I have the feeling I should know this one. Again, this is a bit too disjointed for me. I'm always waiting for something to kick in that just doesn't happen.

Track 04: No, I won't!

Track 05: Not me at all. Boring. Sorry. Sounds like a friend of mine who used to do unspeakable things to my mom's grand whenever he got too wasted.

Track 06: Nice. At times. Not my cup of tea. Why do I get the idea that you're trying to pull my leg with those vocalists?

Track 07: This, I think, is my favourite of the whole BFT set. Love it. I have absolutely no clue who this is, but it's wonderful technique all around, very nice sound, great composition. Love it!

Track 08: Although this is getting tedious, and will be offered again and again along the way. Absolutely no clue. Not my cup of tea, at all.

Track 09: Sounds like Ellington. I think I have this. I'm still working on this one. More later.

Track 10: Hopefully I will get at least one right. This must be J.C. Must be, gotta be, please?

Track 11: Did they ask the sax player to step outside? Sorry. Boring, and the singer has some moments, but not many.

Disc 02:

Track 01: This must be G. E. I like this one. I have no idea which tune it is, but I like the way this thing just slouches along. Damn difficult tempo to play, I think. Or maybe it's just me? To get the drums to sit as this drummer does is quite a feat (considering some of the stuff the band is doing)!

Track 02: Betty Carter. Me. Not. Like. But the trio on speed (00:53 and thereafter) is quite something. Like it! Still, it's something critics should like ... to me it sounds too calculated.

Track 03: Interesting pairing-up of vocalists. Again, not me, at all. But interesting.

Track 04: Head music. I always get irritated by this kind of stuff. Desperately trying to be different, err, modern. Etc. Nope. Not for me.

Track 05: The sound and style reminded me of Tommy Emmanuel from Australia, but it's far too jazzy for him. Still, could be from one of his earlier albums which are damn difficult to get. The similarity is stunning. It's got two typical Emmanuel bits (or did Tommy copy that from whoever this is?). The drummer sounds familiar as well. can't place him now. I'm not into this stuff anymore, but I'd be interested in finding out who this is. I have tons of this stuff from way back when, and maybe I even have this?

Track 05: Blaxploitation or "Streets of San Francisco" on crack.

Track 06: Santana on drugs.

Track 07: In the beginning it sounds like my little brother on the piano. Then, after a while, it doesn't anymore. Interesting.

Track 08: No idea whatsoever. There is so much of that jazz/world music stuff floating around. This sounds like just another one of those cuts from one of those albums. Doesn't do anything for me.

Track 09: The man with the funny horn? Sounds like him, but, again, no idea.

Track 10: I wouldn't buy this, but I thought it was very interesting. Reminds me of some of the more electronic Japanese stuff I used to listen to. Heard this one several times. The recording quality is quite good as well. Floats right between my speakers.

Track 11: Hm. The drummer sucks. I would hate it if this was someone known. Amateurs. But, they're having fun, they're making music, so I'm not going to complain.

Randy, now that I think about it, I spent quite a bit more time with these discs than I thought I would. Not only because I don't have a clue about most of the tunes, but simply because it was very interesting for me. I am, I think, quite an attentive listener, even if I don't like a tune, and here I had to listen several times. And I will listen to these again and maybe post some more.

Cheers! And Thanks!

P.S.: If many more of you are into most of the stuff on these discs, I think I might just get thrown out of the club when my BFT comes around.

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

P.S.: If many more of you are into most of the stuff on these discs, I think I might just get thrown out of the club when my BFT comes around.

No worries about that, deus62. I know many of the participants will welcome a less adventurous selection than mine.

I'm very much enjoying the lurking, and continue to be impressed with the level of knowledge of the participants in the Blindfold Tests. Keep it up B)

My one question would be, was it intentional to record this "Disc at Once" so that the tunes butt up against each other? I didn't sense a lot of great segues, so I am curious if this was intentional and if so, why.

On to the music, at least for Disc 1. I think I can post now that my headache has calmed down a bit. Yes, for the most part, that's what disc 1 was-headache inducing. Sorry, but its true.

Track 01 - breakneck bebop big band. Don't hear Dizzy so I'm pretty clueless. Didn't grab me anyway.

02 - I'm thinking '70s recording, the trumpeter might be Hubbard? Have to admit, I hated the tenor.

03 - No clue, at first I didn't think it was Hutcherson, then the solo made me wonder if it was him. I liked the vibes the best.

04-05: Thank you, but NO.

06 - Song did nothing for me. Singers did less.

07 - Finally! The fastest gun and his ode to the ladies. I've really become a fan of his playing.

08 - See #4.

09 - Gotta be Hodges.

10 - Coltrane. OK but far from my favorite ballad of his.

11 - See #4.

Will try to give disc 2 a listen tomorrow.

It's fascinating what these blindfolds reveal about how differently we all hear things. My least favorites turn out to be someone else's most favorites; things I think are delightful someone else will coldly dismiss. I read some people's guesses and think "Oh, come on, it couldn't possibly be that," and I'm sure others think the same when they read my guesses (and we're probably all wrong!).

The more I listen to 2-11, the more I revise my initial reservations. What I heard as disjointed I'm now hearing as kind of funkily loose. And I'm sure I know those horn players from somewhere!

Had three rounds of Disc # 2 on Monday, wanted to post but couldn't get on the board (???) - the second disc was a string of recognition and reminiscing for me. Randy, we do seem to have similar tastes and collections .....

# 1 Sounded familiar to me from the first notes of the piano introduction, it is the desert city latin dance from this album. Let me just say at this point that I think this album is underrated compared to his collaborations with some famous tooter, and unjustly so.

# 2 Recognized the singer during the first phrase, I used to listen to her records quite a lot when her career really took off, but grew a little tired of her. Very typical treatment of the song for her. I have this album, it's track 3 on disc 2. One of the road universities of jazz she was, like Blakey.

# 3 This grows more and more on me with every listen. At first the intonation of the vocal group turned me off a little, but they deliver that song with so much intensity and definite expressiveness, they do exactly what they want to do, they conquered my heart and mind. I have considered to purchase this ever since it appeared on CD a few years ago (AMG link). The guitar player was the first I recognized, unmistakably Kenny Burrell, and Osie Johnson's drum sound and conception for this kind of thing. The accompaniment is the epitome of good taste, all real pros. I will get me this for sure, and soon!

# 4 From what I have of him, this might be Walt Dickerson on vibes. Some of his familiar figures, the dynamics: no other cat can play so soft and subtle on them doorbells. ;) I like the spaciness, how they pace the song, building up tension without overplaying, they listen really well to each other. Is this Rashid Ali on drums/percussion? Some snare/bass/high-hat licks sound like him. Another one for the wish list. I have too little of this man's music.

# 5 What a surprise - what a shock after the previous track! But a positive one: I like this very very much, another example for cooking up the intensity without overplaying, what most of the fusion cats do. A well delivered melody, sincerely expressive, really moving, I love this and will buy it too! These tests will eat up what's left of my CD budget. Who in the world is this? My tastes are diverse as you see, but I don't know much of this type of music. Chad Wackerman on drums?

# 6 OH YEAH!!!!! I'D NEVER THOUGHT ANYONE ON THE BOARD WOULD HAVE THAT RECORD!!!! I happen to know the story behind that songtitle. More to come in the answers thread. Happy guessing! This isn't even listed on AMG! I won't give this away. :g This record was for me what the John Lewis/Bill Perkins Pacific Jazz LP was for Jim Sangrey: I listened to and absorbed this a thousand times.

# 7 Another one I have and know in and out, I use this often in dance workshops when I am too lazy to play myself and need a slow piece in African 6/8 rhythm. The last track on this CD. One of my favourite jazz pianists; for a festival pick-up group, they are very well together.

# 8 This may sound like I wrote Randy's playlist, because this is another one I know, but sold the scratchy LP when the CD came out, which I never bought. Sounds better now than I thought. Track 3 from this CD.

# 9 A very famous piece by a band led by a very famous potbeater, but not from the LP that bears the title of this track, but a later live version. That was a great band. I don't have this version, but know the tune and the band, saw them live, and found two LPs on AMG from the 1980's.

# 10 A track from one of the two solo saxophone records of this guy. I love his music and regard him one of the truly individual tenor saxophone voices in jazz. All these Muzak ondulists stole from him, but he made real good music with sincere expression where the others went commercial. Y'all know who this is, don't ya?

# 11 Like on Disc One, and amateurish sounding track for closers. The piano is a little out of tune, both horns play over the changes simultaneously with too little regard of what the other is doing. This might be some famous guys boozed up a little playing their fifth set. That's an old well-known tune, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Except for the closer, an excellent disc of many great tracks. I will buy at least two of those I don't have, that's for sure.

Thanks a lot, Randy, we do seem to have similar tastes.

p.s. edited to fix a link

Edited by mikeweil

Just a quick post after one time through and without yer going into the usual track to track detail yet. I recognized the Duke (Hodges), Trane, Betty Carter and I think a couple of others, such as Woody Shaw early on in the disc and Kenny Burrell later on. Overall I liked most of what I heard, including the things I had no idea of. I hope to get back with a more detailed track by track soon. Oh yeah...the opener. Was that Jacquet?

I haven't been laughing as much in the last six months as when I read through all these comments after posting my guesses!!!

biggrinbounce2.gif

This is real fun, especially when you know a track and the others don't - now I know how you felt in previous discussions. This is getting more fun by the test! What a great idea! Thankx y'all! :tup

# 2 Recognized the singer during the first phrase, I used to listen to her records quite a lot when her career really took off, but grew a little tired of her. Very typical treatment of the song for her. I have this album, it's track 3 on disc 2. One of the road universities of jazz she was, like Blakey.

uh, shite! I have that one! But not listened to it in a loooong time!

ubu

I haven't been laughing as much in the last six months as when I read through all these comments after posting my guesses!!!

biggrinbounce2.gif

This is real fun, especially when you know a track and the others don't - now I know how you felt in previous discussions. This is getting more fun by the test! What a great idea! Thankx y'all! :tup

You bastard! :g

ubu :blink::o:wacko::rolleyes::):D:excited:

# 3 This grows more and more on me with every listen. At first the intonation of the vocal group turned me off a little, but they deliver that song with so much intensity and definite expressiveness, they do exactly what they want to do, they conquered my heart and mind. I have considered to purchase this ever since it appeared on CD a few years ago (AMG link). The guitar player was the first I recognized, unmistakably Kenny Burrell, and Osie Johnson's drum sound and conception for this kind of thing. The accompaniment is the epitome of good taste, all real pros. I will get me this for sure, and soon!

Wow! I wanted to check him out for some time, but never came around to do it. There was an interesting and very warm article on him recently in "Die Zeit" - you've seen it, Mike?

ubu