Blindfold Test #6 Discussion

randyhersom

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I wanted to check him out for some time, but never came around to do it. There was an interesting and very warm article on him recently in "Die Zeit" - you've seen it, Mike?

No, I didn't. You have it? Would be nice if you could enclose a photocopy at some occasion.

I spend so much money on special music magazines (down beat, Jazz Times, Jazz Podium, Fono Forum, World of Music, Drums & Percussion, Sticks, Concerto, to name only the subscriptions) that I hesitate to spend on a newspaper - and I hardly have the time to read it. And reading all the bad news in the political section turns me off.

# 7 Another one I have and know in and out, I use this often in dance workshops when I am too lazy to play myself and need a slow piece in African 6/8 rhythm. The last track on this CD. One of my favourite jazz pianists; for a festival pick-up group, they are very well together.

and one more I have (and love) - but hey, the last track's 17 minutes! And where the f%&@ is the man with the saxophone? Was he edited out?!?

He not laying out on that track, isn't he?

The man on the piano is DA SHIT! One of my favorite musicians (I still have to save some $$ for the Select) - I discovered him through getting all his nineties stuff on Verve/Gitanes, some marvellous records! Buy this one as long as it's around!

ubu

Wow! I wanted to check him out for some time, but never came around to do it. There was an interesting and very warm article on him recently in "Die Zeit" - you've seen it, Mike?

No, I didn't. You have it? Would be nice if you could enclose a photocopy at some occasion.

I spend so much money on special music magazines (down beat, Jazz Times, Jazz Podium, Fono Forum, World of Music, Drums & Percussion, Sticks, Concerto, to name only the subscriptions) that I hesitate to spend on a newspaper - and I hardly have the time to read it. And reading all the bad news in the political section turns me off.

I still have it. Remind me of it if I forget!

ubu

Oh yeah...the opener. Was that Jacquet?

Good idea! Could be from that four-track big band session, with some Tadd Dameron arrangements and Fats in the band. Don't have the Mosaic at hand, but maybe someone can find out?

Oh happy guesses! I thought you knew your early Blue Note modern jazz sessions better!

Those hearing a connection to Dizzy's late 1940's big band are closer than they think. AMG link

p.s. link fixed!

Edited by mikeweil

Good idea! Could be from that four-track big band session, with some Tadd Dameron arrangements and Fats in the band. Don't have the Mosaic at hand, but maybe someone can find out?

Oh happy guesses! I thought you knew your early Blue Note modern jazz sessions better!

Those hearing a connection to Dizzy's late 1940's big band are closer than they think. Click here!

Again link does not lead anywhere! Sorry!

I do not know early BN particularly well, but I DID hear similarities to Dizzy's big band, at least

ubu

# 7 Another one I have and know in and out, I use this often in dance workshops when I am too lazy to play myself and need a slow piece in African 6/8 rhythm. The last track on this CD. One of my favourite jazz pianists; for a festival pick-up group, they are very well together.

and one more I have (and love) - but hey, the last track's 17 minutes! And where the f%&@ is the man with the saxophone? Was he edited out?!?

The man on the piano is DA SHIT! One of my favorite musicians (I still have to save some $$ for the Select) - I discovered him through getting all his nineties stuff on Verve/Gitanes, some marvellous records! Buy this one as long as it's around!

ubu

re tenor sax: he plays some nice flute on this track ...... :P

re: pianist: I LOVE him, have 80% of his records.

ubu

re tenor sax: he plays some nice flute on this track ...... :P

re: pianist: I LOVE him, have 80% of his records.

Oh, I mixed the track up with another one in memory! I don't have the CD, and no possibility to listen to music now anyway, being at work... <_<

Thanks for clearing this one! Got to spin that disc tonight!

ubu

Those hearing a connection to Dizzy's late 1940's big band are closer than they think. Click here!

Again link does not lead anywhere! Sorry!

I do not know early BN particularly well, but I DID hear similarities to Dizzy's big band, at least

ubu

Try this link - I don't get the AMG adress I want with the other, what you see is just the sidebar. Strange things ...

The link here is a compilation, it's track 7 here.

All frantic indeed! I never heard this guy's BN date(s?), and never been very taken by his playing. Got two or three CDs and they're alright. And he seems not to produce very much anymore today, touring with some all star groups etc... However, he was/is a good tenor player, able on alto, too, and great on flute. I love his work with that strange-bearded-and-capped-man the best.

ubu

Oh, and what we hear on this disc is a typical example of why there was not THE bop tenorist. All those guys (the one in question, early Dexter, early Lucky, early Yusef, and several others) were standing somewhere between swing and bop, taking from the great 30ies musicians (Hawk, Pres, Benny Carter, Hodges) and trying to absorb some of the Bird-stylings. So this might be one of the reason (another being not listening closer...) why rather many names popped up. They were not the individual musicians they became later on in their careers.

ubu

I love his work with that strange-bearded-and-capped-man the best.

Who in all the world :blink: are you talking about???

I like his mid-1950's Prestige dates the best, they are very much fun to listen to. For Blue Note it was just two sessions with four tracks each.

I was able to fix the link in my original post.

Mike, your link to #8 does not work!

And would you mind give some more hints re #9 and #10?

I was able to fix the link.

re disc 2 # 9: Think of a drummer that was pioneering bop drums and led a pianoless quartet in the 1980's.

re disc 2 # 10: He was on the Chicago scene at the start of his career, Verve recently reissued his debut LP in the mini-LP series.

I don't want to spoil the fun for anybody ....

You know to be truthful I was a bit off-put at first by these two discs and had a harder time wrapping myself around the mix than prevously. Now after perusing the earnest leads, links, stories and editorials as well as the "wahdaphuckayouthinkin i hope someone sharpens your q-tips" quips:D I've gotta say that these platters are deeper than I had first imagined. I know there is a thread in here somewhere especially with Weston, Evans groups being revealed (and really first times for any of these groups to cross my path). Truly looking forward to the hash once Jim S ponies up.

And mikeweil can you give more clue to D2#8... I came up with an imageless window and all that's above is "flower".

(Funny that the next BFT has minor similarities to the past two even though it was in the works a ways back.) :ph34r:

I didn't know about him before I got that LPr disk. I guess this is another case of having had to be there.

In a way, I was, as I was able to catch samples of his early LPs on AFN radio when I started listening to jazz in my late teens. And I was (and still am) a big fan of the big band he joined a while after. Most diehard jazz fans were turned off by his later work, but compared to Kenny G. it's jazz heaven!

And mikeweil can you give more clue to D2#8... I came up with an imageless window and all that's above is "flower".

I fixed it; I had accidentally linked to the sidebar instead of the main page.

I was wondering whether it could be that group, as we've been discussing them recently. I still don't like the percussion very much.