Upcoming Uptown Records releases

JETman

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard thru the grapevine that the son is working on completing projects his Dad had in the pipeline. Knowing the length it seemed to take for some of these I have no idea yet if that is a long-term project and there's lots to come or what.

But first up is another Dodo release.  $18 w shipping thru Tommy's Jazz ($25 international with shipping) and he says he will have end of week. I can't even find mention of this elsewhere and the uptown website is dead - a screen shot, not a splash page is all you get.  So I'm kinda amazed that I am getting a shot at this so soon.  Tommy says he is only getting 20 copies and requests reservations at tommysjazz@gmail.com to reserve yours.

Dodo Marmarosa - On The Coast 1945-1947, 1952 
Uptown Records UPCD27.89 / 27.90
Flashback Series (two discs & 40-page booklet)

1. PERDIDO (JUAN TIZOL) 1:30
2. TALKING 0:48
3. BLUES 2:56
4. TALKING 1:01 5. ROCKIN' CHAIR (HOAGY CARMICHAEL) 3:53
6. TALKING, THE MAN I LOVE (INTRO ONLY) (GEORGE GERSHWIN/IRA GERSHWIN) 0:41
7. HOW HIGH THE MOON (NANCY HAMILTON/MORGAN LEWIS) 4:38 8. INTRO 0:47
9. HOW HIGH THE MOON (NANCY HAMILTON/MORGAN LEWIS) 2:45
10. BODY AND SOUL (EDWARD HEYMAN/ROBERT SOUR/FRANK EYTON/JOHNNY GREEN) 4:45 11. RIP VAN WINKLE (BOB LEVINSON/GEORGE HANDY/HOWARD LEEDS) 3:02
12. WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED LOVE? (COLE PORTER) 2:51
13. SIGN-OFF 0:50 14. INTRO 0:31
15. DEEP PURPLE (PETER DEROSE) 2:25
16. TEA FOR TWO (VINCENT YOUMANS/IRVING CAESAR) 1:50 17. HOW HIGH THE MOON (NANCY HAMILTON/MORGAN LEWIS) 2:55
18. I SURRENDER DEAR (HARRY BARRIS/GORDON CLIFFORD) 2:22
19. RAINDROPS (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:51
20. I'VE GOT NEWS FOR YOU (HARV EASTON) 3:02
21. DODO'S BOUNCE (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:45
22. DODO'S LAMENT (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:55
23. SLAM'S MISHAP LUCKY THOMPSON) 2:35
24. SCUFFLE THAT RUFF (LUCKY THOMPSON) 2:37
25. SMOOTH SAILING (LUCKY THOMPSON) 2:44
26. COMMERCIAL EYES (LUCKY THOMPSON) 2:42
27. BLACK AND BLUE (FATS WALLER/HARRY BARRIS/ANDY RAZAF) 2:55
28. FLIGHT OF THE VOUT BUG (TOMMY TALBERT/LYLE GRIFFIN/DODO MARMAROSA) 3:08

1. MELLOW MOOD (DODO MARMAROSA) 3:16
2. DODO'S BLUES (DODO MARMAROSA) 3:15
3. OPUS #5 (DODO MARMAROSA) 1:54
4. YOU THRILL ME SO (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:56
5. COMPADOO (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:28
6. I'M IN LOVE (WILLIAM LEBARON) 2:47 7. COSMO STREET (DODO MARMAROSA) 1:29
8. LOVER COME BACK TO ME (SIGMUND ROMBERG/OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN) 3:02 9. RAINDROPS (DODO MARMAROSA) 2:19
10. SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES (JEROME KERN/OTTO HARBACH) 2:49
11. DODO'S BOUNCE (DODO MARMAROSA) 1:49
12. ESCAPE (DODO MARMAROSA) 1:50
13. ESCAPE (DODO MARMAROSA) 3:02 14. ATOM BUSTER (BARNEY KESSEL) 2:51
15. WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED LOVE? (COLE PORTER) 2:51
16. THE MAN I LOVE (GEORGE GERSHWIN/IRA GERSHWIN) 3:18 17. SLICK CHICK (BARNEY KESSEL) 2:39 18. THE GREAT LIE (ANDY GIBSON) 3:43
19. ROSE ROOM (ART HICKMAN/HARRY WILLIAMS) / IN A MELLOW TONE (DUKE ELLINGTON) 7:07
20. JUMPIN' WITH SYMPHONY SID (LESTER YOUNG) 10:48 21. POPO (SHORTY ROGERS)

uptown Dodo.JPG

Glad people are taking advantage ... this wouldn't be the first project I'd pick to bring to fruition but the price sure sounds right, double CD for $18 postage paid. I am going to try to find out what else the son wants to finish off. There were some that Bob would tell me just need artwork, or liners.  I am going to keep hope alive that there's another Picadilly or Left Bank treat to come.

The one thing to know with Tommy is that he is a one-man operation and he's regularly offering deals to the email list, plus is active on other platforms. So his turn around time after he receives product is not often swift.  But you can email and ask him to expedite a shipment. 

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not interested in tracklists, interested in players and configurations.

Or are these all studio or otherwise already released sessions?

No idea sounds to me like private tapes maybe?  It's going to see regular release so you can always get from your favorite retailer when more info is available. I plan to ask for expedited shipping when he confirms receipt and sends paypal invoice on Friday so I can share info next week theoretically.

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Not interested in tracklists, interested in players and configurations.

Or are these all studio or otherwise already released sessions?

Now at home and checking through my LPs. On looking closer, no. 21 to 26 on disc 1 and no. 3 to 13 on disc 2 look like they correspond to the "Piano Man" LP on Phoenix Jazz LP20 released in 1978 (the tracks on disc 2 also are on Raretone 5020). All from MacGregor transciptions (late 1946) according ot the liner notes of the Phoenix Jazz LP. Tracks 19 and 20 on CD 1 are also on Raretone 5020 (Experiment in Bop).

According to these 2 LPs the lineup looks like Dodo (p), Barney Kessel (g), Gene Englund (b) for #19-20 on CD1 and #3-13 on CD 2.
#21-26 on CD 1 have Lucky Thompson (ts), Dodo (p), Red Callender (b), Jackie Mills (dr).
I for one remain interested in the rest anyway which look new to me. And the above may have been improved sonically too - who knows?

54 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Ironically I bought that Piano Man thing earlier this year. Oh Well Oh Well (I still feel fine today).

Wishful thinking hoping for ALL-new discoveries. :D Same here (before I found out about the duplications at home), but I'l be looking forward to the Uptown anyway (received my order confirmation a couple of minutes ago). ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

7 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Dodo really has a lot of compilations out for various labels and most are bare of information aside from maybe who he’s playing with. 

If the booklet is as good as that of most of the other releases it should be an asset. (I found the one of the Illinois Jacquet/Leo Parker "Toronto 1947" release a bit of a letdown as the text offered relatively little that was new at all but those of the other Uptowns I have bought over time are real gems IMO, including the one of the 1958 Dodo Marmarosa CD, of course)

This is Tom from Tommy's Jazz. The Dodo Cd's might be in tomorrow, maybe Thursday. But they will be billed out right when they arrive. There will be no delay.

I increased my order to 50, so I will have plenty. I have known Bob since 1992. And became very good friends with him in the last 2 years. Talking on the phone at least every month. I'm glad I can pass along these to you early and at a decent price. 

I have been a member here for a very long time but just never had the time to contribute. I didn't want to just make posts about what I was selling and not contribute to anything else. So I stopped posting. 

My website will be up and running in early 2019. For now you can join my mailing list. Just email me at tommysjazz@gmail.com 

As Dan mentioned, my turn around time can be slow. But if you mark your order as important I will be sure yours is the first invoiced.

Some of my previous offers have been as follows. Wholesale prices direct to you in some cases)

- Last of the Uptown Vinyl (still available to order)

- Charles Mingus Jazz in Detroit / Strata Concert Set (still available to order)

- Classics Chronological Series - remastered via Steve Palmer (still available to order)

- Art Pepper Unreleased Art Volumes

- Blue note (Europe Vinyl) on hand

- John Coltrane ‎– Giant Steps / 2 × Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Album, Limited  (still available to order)

- I also order Fresh Sound and Jazz Workshop vinyl on a month basis, at very good prices.

Shoot me an email if you want and I will add you to my mailing list.

Either way, have a great Holiday Season.

Tom

Tommys Jazz

32 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

What do you have on Uptown Records LPs? There are quite a few titles I'd like to pick up on LP.

Kevin he's not active on the board. Email your question to  tommysjazz@gmail.com  and I am sure Tom will be back with you quickly.