Upcoming Uptown Records releases

JETman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, apparently it's only maybe 40 minutes - given the rarity and importance, they really should issue it - 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Allen, what's this about Byard? More details please, sir!

they've had this material for some time - Jaki playing in the '50s - but as Chuck indicates above, it has been held back because it's not a full CD. Personally, I think it would be fine. And if not that, it really should be made available in some way.

Edited by AllenLowe

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yep. I agree. 

40 minutes is a typical vinyl LP duration. And we've all bought plenty of those! ;) 

Besides, there are a lot of CD reissues out there that don't even reach 40 minutes. Just look at all those facsimile CD reissues of LPs (with no bonuses, or none to speak of).

I've asked Tommy to inquire with the son to see if we can find out if this is one of the projects in some stage toward completion. My guess though is that Bob himself looked at it and changed his mind. Was it a big LP seller back then? He may have not followed thru based on expected sales.  Anyway I'll post if I find out anything.

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Besides, there are a lot of CD reissues out there that don't even reach 40 minutes. Just look at all those facsimile CD reissues of LPs (with no bonuses, or none to speak of).

Yeah, most of those are Japanese reissues. For some cultural reason I've never been able to figure out, Japanese buyers seem to prefer the original album *exactly* reissued. But with good sound, at least!

gregmo

13 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

Got mine today. Lots of duplication with previously issued Fresh Sound Records "Dodo's Bounce" (FSCD1019) and Lonehill Jazz "Complete Studio Recordings" (LHJ10119). I have not done a complete audit- I hope to find some unique cuts. Very nice booklet.

That's what I figured when I saw more details of the line-ups and of the Atomic session being mentioned (which I have on one of the vinyls mentioned earlier). I've never considered the FS or LHJ reissues because the duplications with the vinyl I have made these of not much interest. A bit like the Chubby Jackson Uptown CD which I so far (with regrets) have not picked up because duplications with existing releases ARE there, and those sellers I have found that were easily accessible from here were priced really way up ...

But never mind - I took my chances wiht this one based on the initial track listing and previous all-new discoveries o´made avilable through Uptown, and some of it still looks like new to any release here and besides, it's for a good cause. So no regrets and looking forward ... ;)

got mine; great stuff in general; my only comments would be that I am not that crazy about the liner notes (his grasp of early bebop piano, black and white, is tenuous); and there are some weird stylistic errors in the writing - 

but, the music - in spite of a number of tracks in which Dodo, as was his tendency, seems to be on a distant planet - is great and worthwhile. I don't know, as you guys do, what has appeared elsewhere, but the sonics are excellent.