Howard McGhee - Plays Music from "The Connection"

Head Man

So? I was just trying to point out that there was a cd release of the title other than the Japanese issue you cited.

The original poster asked specifically about a CD release and you posted an MP3 link. You could at least have made that clear.

I believe I said "I have this one which was released in 1995". AFAIK, there were no MP3's in 1995, were there?

So? I was just trying to point out that there was a cd release of the title other than the Japanese issue you cited.

The original poster asked specifically about a CD release and you posted an MP3 link. You could at least have made that clear.

I believe I said "I have this one which was released in 1995". AFAIK, there were no MP3's in 1995, were there?

Then why post a link to an MP3? Posting the cover would have sufficed, I would think.

I wonder why I bother; you are always right, aren't you... I have better things to do than wasting my time on your posts. Goodbye.

Edited by J.A.W.

That links the MP3 version. This is the CD link.

I bought a copy of this US CD in the mid 2000's - I ordered it directly from a small company in NY I think

Not at home at present so can't give more details. I'm sure it was a legit pressing

I had that record back in my LP days, but I don't remember if it was any good.

I like the Payne/Drew score, although not as much as the one penned by Freddie Redd. Considering the fact that Payne has Clark Terry, Bennie Green, Duke Jordan, Ron Carter and Charlie Persip on hand, how can you go wrong?

Edited by sonnymax

I like the Payne/Drew score, although not as much as the one penned by Freddie Redd. Considering the fact that Payne has Clark Terry, Bennie Green, Duke Jordan, Ron Carter and Charlie Persip on hand, how can you go wrong?

Was it ever reissued on CD?

Edited by J.A.W.

Was it ever reissued on CD?

I have it as part of the Charlie Parker Records box. Probably not a legit reissue, but who knows.

Everybody heard this one?

Cecil-Payne-The-Connection-So-446177.jpg

I've got the LP on the UK 'Charlie Parker Records' label. Budget label Egmont - I think it was - who issued it (located 'Up North' back in the day).

I have it too, on Egmont (£0.50p at the local corner shop). Interesting line up with Clark Terry and Bennie Green, Charlie Persip and Ron Carter. Pleasant enough but probably not worth getting too excited about.

Very confused at this point.

Bertrand.

Not that complicated, 3 different albums. The two Freddie Redd's are the original score with different lineups, the Cecil Payne is a completely different score written for the same play, I believe when it went on tour after Redd's involvement ceased.

I like the Boplicity Redd with Tina Brooks the best. The Cecil Payne/Kenny Drew is great and I would rank that second, the Blue Note Redd would be third. Haven't listened to any of them in quite awhile so I'm just going from memory.

I did a vinyl transfer of the Cecil Payne date which came out sounding very nice.