Howard McGhee - Plays Music from "The Connection"

Head Man

I have the Howard McGhee on CD made by Century Records in Japan. On the front cover and the CD itself it is listed as a Felsted session.

My Cecil Payne - Connection session is on a 1992 CD issue on Fresh Sound. The CD is titled Cecil Payne - Stop And Listen To ....

There are 2 LPs of music on this CD.

4569888.jpg

My CD copy on Solar arrived yesterday and it's decent buy. Both "Dusty Blue" and "The Connection" sound OK although I'm pretty sure "The Connection" is a needle drop, It also comes with a reasonable booklet. On first listening I think I prefer this version of "The Connection" to the one by Freddie Redd on Blue Note.

I love McGhee's playing, but I do think that post-Kind of Blue he tempered his approach and lost some of the fire. My favorite is still that '55-'56 session (or whenever) with Duke Jordan.

That would be The Return of Howard McGhee, recorded on October 22, 1955 with Sahib Shihab, Duke Jordan, Percy Heath and Philly Joe Jones, and issued on Bethlehem BCP-42. It was later reissued as That Bop Thing.

Wish that someone had recorded and issued Cecil Taylor's music from The Connection. Though possibly some of the Candid material relates to that.

Yes, iirc.

According to the notes to the Mosaic CT Candid box (written by Buell Neidlinger? Can't recall...) "Air" was certainly performed by CT's group during productions of THE CONNECTION.

i have the freddie redd bn that was released in japan as a mini-lp. but i'm speaking off the top of my head because i can't find it right now. i don't remember if it had howard mcghee on board, but i suspect not, since it is not mentioned here.

No McGhee on this one. very much a feature for McLean - and a good one !

That links the MP3 version. This is the CD link.

I bought a copy of this US CD in the mid 2000's - I ordered it directly from a small company in NY I think

Not at home at present so can't give more details. I'm sure it was a legit pressing

The CD was released in 2006 by the "Iris Music Group"

It still appears to be available ($16.98)

check the site - http://store.irismusicgroup.com/

Edited by romualdo

• 5 years later...
On September 5, 2012 at 3:47 AM, Shawn said:

Not that complicated, 3 different albums. The two Freddie Redd's are the original score with different lineups, the Cecil Payne is a completely different score written for the same play, I believe when it went on tour after Redd's involvement ceased.

I like the Boplicity Redd with Tina Brooks the best. The Cecil Payne/Kenny Drew is great and I would rank that second, the Blue Note Redd would be third. Haven't listened to any of them in quite awhile so I'm just going from memory.

I did a vinyl transfer of the Cecil Payne date which came out sounding very nice.

And then there is the LA production score by Dexter Gordon, some of which is on the Dexter Calling album. 

Someone needs to do a multi-disc set with all four versions! 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

This Night Lights show features music from both the McLean and McGhee recordings of the soundtrack, some of the music from Dexter Calling, the Payne/Drew album, and a recording of one of Redd's compositions by Daniel Humair (available on Jazz In Paris Jazz And Cinema V. 3):

The Connection: The Living Theater and Hardbop Jazz

Unfortunately the playlists for all Night Lights shows are temporarily unavailable because of our move to a new website-content delivery system.