MUSICAL NAMESAKES

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmy Jones, jazz pianist extraordinaire and Jimmy Jones, R&B singer most famous for his 1960 hit Handy Man.

Damn, forgot about him.

There are about a trillion music people called Jimmy Johnson.

1 West Coast blues guitarist - writer of the song 'Don't answer the door' which B B King covered a few years later.

2 Chicago blues guitarist - recorded a few albums for Delmark.

3 Jazz guitarist, worked on albums such as Shirley Scott's 'Soul saxes', 'Something', King Curtis' 'Great Memphis hits' and David Newman's 'Weapon'.

4 Jazz drummer - worked on Newman's 'Mr Fathead', Billy Butler's 'Night life' and 'Yesterday, today & tomorrow', Boogaloo Joe Jones' 'Black whip', Jack McDuff's 'Lift every voice' & Reuben Wilson's 'Set us free'.

5 R&B singer - lead singer with the Jayhawks ('Stranded in the jungle').

6 Engineer at Fame Studios, Muscle Shoals.

7 Pop bass player.

8 Composer of 'Charleston'.

9 Another composer - co-writer of Erskine Hawkins' massive hit, 'Don't cry baby' - maybe same as 8, maybe not; different generation.

10 Tenor player in Duke/Peacock studios early 50s.

MG

Wilbur Bascomb - trumpet player in the Erskine Hawkins band (also worked on a number of soul jazz alnums in 60s and 70s)

Wilbur 'Dud' Bascomb - bass player

MG

I think "Dud" is the trumpet player, and the bassist is Wilbur Jr. I think...

The senior Bascomb's brother was Paul, a tenor player in the Hawkins band, and the Bascomb credited on Tuxedo Junction. I think...

There's a Steve Davis (bass) and Steve Davis (trombone). I once saw a drummer with that name playing at Visiones. Don't know much about him.

Bertrand.

There is a third Steve Davis, a drummer who has played and recorded often with Lyne Arriale

HOW ABOUT JESSE DAVIS'S? JESSE, THE SELDOM HEARD SPLENDID BEBOP ALTO SAXIST, IS BLOWING AT SMALL'S IN A VERY FEW MINUTES.

JESSE DAVIS THE GUITARIST, AS I RECALL, WAS IN CONWAY TWITTY'S FINE FINE BAND FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Wilbur Bascomb - trumpet player in the Erskine Hawkins band (also worked on a number of soul jazz alnums in 60s and 70s)

Wilbur 'Dud' Bascomb - bass player

MG

I think "Dud" is the trumpet player, and the bassist is Wilbur Jr. I think...

The senior Bascomb's brother was Paul, a tenor player in the Hawkins band, and the Bascomb credited on Tuxedo Junction. I think...

I'm confused, too. I've got albums that describe each as 'Dud' and some that describe the bass player as 'Bad'.

Both Paul and Wilbur were in the Hawkins band.

MG

Jimmy Jones, jazz pianist extraordinaire and Jimmy Jones, R&B singer most famous for his 1960 hit Handy Man.

I noticed another Jimmy Jones today. The producer and composer of some of the tracks on Syl Johnson's groundbreaking soul album 'Is it because I'm black' in 1969 - first political concept album in soul music.

MG