MUSICAL NAMESAKES

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J J Johnson - jazz trombonicist

J J Johnson - reggae producerizer

Actually, someone told me in conversation yesterday that there's a JJ Johnson playing drums with pop singer/ guitarist John Mayer.

Come to that, John Mayer (pop guitarist)/ John Mayer (violinist, keyboardist & composer, played with Joe Harriott)

• 3 months later...

Does Yusef Lateef count in your Bill Evans list?

Bertrand.

No. Having read his autobiography, Gentle Giant, I can't find reason to refer to him as "Bill Evans" in any phase of his life. See, for example, page 1. http://books.google....ography&f=false

(I hope that link's okay)

Maybe I missed it, because the fable goes on and on.

On page 61 it says "My next move was to change my name from Bill Evans to Yusef Abdul Lateef". Looking at the discography section starting on page 188 it also seems that he went by the name Bill Evans on the earliest sessions.

There were three Bennie Motens. The first, of course the great Kansas City bandleader but there was also a Bennie Moten who played clarinet and saxophone on recordings by Joe Jordan and Clarence Williams. Then there was a bassist I saw several times here in Toronto in the 1950s, Benny Moten, who was, I believe, a nephew of the Kansas City bandleader