The great Roy Haynes

Hardbopjazz

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annie Ross (if vocalists count)

Are Al Porcino and Don Ferrara still with us? I couldn't find any mention of them having died. They both recorded with Bird.

When this thread was started in September, Dick Hafer could have been added too. Unfortunately he left us two weeks ago.

Don Ferrara passed away a few ago.

Buddy DeFranco played with Bird on the Metronome All Star recordings. From the Montreal 1953 album on Uptown, we have Hal Gaylor. I'm not sure about his whereabouts, but Dick Garcia is also on that recording.

Dick Garcia was a friend of my mom's family. I believe he passed long ago.

As far as I know Dick Garcia (born in 1931) is still alive.

Yes, Dick Garcia is still around, and living in his parents' house in Astoria, NY., according to a relative I contacted on the net.

He practices zen buddhism, and is living in seclusion. His phone # is in the White Pages.

One guy that played and recorded with Bird and Diz, who I've done many gigs with is Aaron Sachs. He's still playing very well, and lives in the Bronx. He's in his late 80s now.

He told me a story once about how he was walking down Broadway back in the 40s or 50s, and he ran into Bird.

Bird said something to him like, " Don't go thinking that you're the top cat around" OSLT.

Aaron was interviewed by Phil Schaap a number of years ago about his involvement with Tiny Kahn's version of a head based on "Indiana" that was very similar to "Donna Lee". He used to jam with Tiny and Terry Gibbs in the Bronx in the 40s, and they recorded it on a Terry Gibbs Quintet LP. I transcribed it, and while it was not the same melody as Donna Lee, you can see that DL probably evolved from Tiny's tune. They elaborated on lines at sessions back then, and came up with variations that got picked up by various players.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/aaron-sachs-mn0000586928/credits

Edited by sgcim

Buddy DeFranco played with Bird on the Metronome All Star recordings. From the Montreal 1953 album on Uptown, we have Hal Gaylor. I'm not sure about his whereabouts, but Dick Garcia is also on that recording.

Dick Garcia was a friend of my mom's family. I believe he passed long ago.

As far as I know Dick Garcia (born in 1931) is still alive.

Yes, Dick Garcia is still around, and living in his parents' house in Astoria, NY., according to a relative I contacted on the net.

He practices zen buddhism, and is living in seclusion. His phone # is in the White Pages.

Thanks for finding this out. I'll let my dad know. He played at my folks' wedding reception back in 1951.

• 6 months later...

Maybe it's just me. Could we rename this thread "Don't Worry, Roy Haynes is Still Alive". Every time the thread resurfaces, my heart skips a beat (unlike Mr. Haynes).

Agreed.

agreed ... had that skipped heartbeat once again yesterday ...

at least add a disclaimer: this thread can impair your sanity

Sir Charles Thompson!!!

he´s still alive?

To bad I missed him many years ago when he played at Jazzland in Viena. Anyway, I don´t know much more about him that the tune "The Street Beat", and heard the original version much later. First I knew it only from the 1950 date Bird with Bud and Fats......

Sir Charles Thompson!!!

he´s still alive?

To bad I missed him many years ago when he played at Jazzland in Viena. Anyway, I don´t know much more about him that the tune "The Street Beat", and heard the original version much later. First I knew it only from the 1950 date Bird with Bud and Fats......

Right! He is living in Japan, and even recorded few albums recently, also this year ("Jazz Legend" on Marshmallow Records).

And, you guess, that elegant style Lester gave him nickname after is still there!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw Roy this past Friday and while the music was very, very good, his age seems to caught up with him. The signs of dementia that I saw when I talked to him a year ago (forgetting shows/places he's played) have only gotten worse. His is on a tour now (at the Blue Note in NYC this week) and if you want to see him play live, I would strongly suggest doing it on this tour.