The great Roy Haynes

Hardbopjazz

Lee Konitz said he never had the opportunity to play "head to head" with Bird, but he makes good for that here:

Too funny! If he hadn't been a great saxophonist, Konitz could have done stand-up.

Yes, he is quite funny. I saw Lee a few years back, and he finished the song and set then said, "we're going to go to the back to smoke a joint, catch you later." He had everyone laughing. Who knows if he really did.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only remember Mr. Konitz coming to Atlanta once - back in the 1980s. He played a small club within walking distance of where I live now (I lived in the suburbs then). When he and the local rhythm section played "All Blues," he announced that the first chorus would be a tribute to Miles. He leaned into the mike, held his nose, and sung the melody in a nasal, Miles-in-a-mute parody.

Not positive, but I hope that these gentlemen are still with us:

George Freeman

George is still with us.

One shouldn't forget that there are probably a fair number of uncredited people playing with Bird in string sections still alive. There are also people whose death is unrecorded, whether because they're still alive or, if dead, of no interest to anyone, for example trombonist Sol Rabinowitz (with Machito for the 'Afro-Cuban jazz suite') who subsequently became the proprietor of R&B label Baton Records.

MG

Yes, he is quite funny. I saw Lee a few years back, and he finished the song and set then said, "we're going to go to the back to smoke a joint, catch you later." He had everyone laughing. Who knows if he really did.

I saw him a few years ago playing with the Schuller brothers, Ed on bass and George on drums. The Schullers were very busy players that night and got lots of applause. At the end of the set, Konitz said, "On bass, Ed Schuller <long applause>, on drums, George Schuller <long applause>, and I'm Lee Schuller. Thank you!"

I saw him a few years ago playing with the Schuller brothers, Ed on bass and George on drums. The Schullers were very busy players that night and got lots of applause. At the end of the set, Konitz said, "On bass, Ed Schuller <long applause>, on drums, George Schuller <long applause>, and I'm Lee Schuller. Thank you!"

I remember seeing Andy Bey a couple of years ago. He introduced the band and then said, "And my name is Cecil Taylor." It was all about the hair.

andy%20bey%2001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy DeFranco played with Bird on the Metronome All Star recordings. From the Montreal 1953 album on Uptown, we have Hal Gaylor. I'm not sure about his whereabouts, but Dick Garcia is also on that recording.

Dick Garcia was a friend of my mom's family. I believe he passed long ago.

As far as I know Dick Garcia (born in 1931) is still alive.

I did a quick Google to no (easy) avail. Is drummer Marquis Foster still alive?

I thought of him last week, and did the same thing, and...he's not.

http://bostonjazzscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/musiciansthe-major-contributors.html

Marquis Foster was one of the key bop-oriented drummers in Boston during the 1950s. He played with many visiting artists such as Billie Holiday, Sonny Stitt, and Charlie Parker at the Hi-Hat, Storyville, and other clubs. Also he was in bands led by George Shearing (including the famous "Lullaby of Birdland" recording), Sarah Vaughan, Vic Dickenson, and others. He returned to Boston after living in Detroit for several years. He died in Boston in 1994 at age 70.

http://bostonjazzscene.blogspot.com/2012/04/musiciansthe-major-contributors.html

Marquis Foster was one of the key bop-oriented drummers in Boston during the 1950s. He played with many visiting artists such as Billie Holiday, Sonny Stitt, and Charlie Parker at the Hi-Hat, Storyville, and other clubs. Also he was in bands led by George Shearing (including the famous "Lullaby of Birdland" recording), Sarah Vaughan, Vic Dickenson, and others. He returned to Boston after living in Detroit for several years. He died in Boston in 1994 at age 70.

JSngry, better than Google. Thanks. When's your IPO?

Additional information on Marquis Foster can be found in the booklet for Charlie Parker: Boston 1952 (Uptown)

http://bostonjazzsce...ntributors.html

HA!

That one took a bit of work to come up with a search string that yielded a "first page" result. What finally worked was Marquis Foster Boston Died. Anything else seemed to just pull up discographical listings and/or worthless ad portal sites.