Obscure Albums You'd Give Your Eye Teeth to Hear

Pete C

Groove Holmes and Barney Rachabane - African encounter - Roots (South Africa) ROTC102

Rachabane is an very nice alto player who played with Abdullah Ibrahim on a few records and had a couple as a leader, too. No IDEA when the record was made, but I assume in South Africa.

Another that piques my interest is Buddy Tate meets Dollar Brand on Chiaroscuro 165 (from 1977). DOn't imagine this is as hard to find as the Holmes/Rachabane.

Another I want is Gene Ammons - Birdland - Chazzer 2044 a 1951 live gig.

MG

Buddy Tate & Abdullah Ibrahim is pretty nice, bought a copy when new at a very short-lived store here in Portland, OR

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any Po Torch or Moers LP's transferred (officially) to CD

SOme of the Moers dates were released in what I remember as being official form back in the early 90s. This is how I acquired and first heard John Carter's Suite of Early American Folk Pieces for Solo Clarinet and Davis Murray's Live at Moers. Not an extensive reissue program, but it would appear many of these discs are still in print... http://www.moers-music.com/catalog/overview.html

Buddy Tate & Abdullah Ibrahim is pretty nice,

On paper it sounds like a good bet, as Tate's tone should mesh well with A.I.'s style.

If you want to hear it now...

eMusic

It is a good'un.

Got too many albums in the last 2 months (85) so I'm holding back, but that on is DEFINITELY on my list for October. The e-music web page looked as if I could just download it for £3.36 without subscribing - or is that a little ingenuous of me? I don't want to subscribe, even for this.

MG

Thanks; I'm not sure about this. I think there's a poor match between subscriptions and how I like to buy music. I must do some more thinking.

MG

I agree with that I've joined and realised I wasn't up for the subscription and cancelled. You usually get a credit when you subscribe for the first time. I joined for a couple of things I couldn't find which I got with the free credits paid for another month and canceled. Daresay you can cancel before the first month is due...

Thanks; I'm not sure about this. I think there's a poor match between subscriptions and how I like to buy music. I must do some more thinking.

MG

I agree with that I've joined and realised I wasn't up for the subscription and cancelled. You usually get a credit when you subscribe for the first time. I joined for a couple of things I couldn't find which I got with the free credits paid for another month and canceled. Daresay you can cancel before the first month is due...

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

MG

These Max Roach titles:

1977 : Max Roach Quartet Live in Tokyo (Denon)

1977 : The Lodestar (Horo)

1977 : Max Roach Quartet Live In Amsterdam - It's Time (Baystate)

I bought The Lodestar at Schoolkids Records in Ann Arbor when it first came out, leaving many other Horos in the bins unpurchased. It is certainly worth hearing, but it is not as focused and intense as some of Max's other albums from the same period. The performances are very long.

I'd like to hear the two Hidden Fire albums by Sun Ra. I have never seen copies of them.

Groove Holmes and Barney Rachabane - African encounter - Roots (South Africa) ROTC102

Rachabane is an very nice alto player who played with Abdullah Ibrahim on a few records and had a couple as a leader, too. No IDEA when the record was made, but I assume in South Africa.

Another that piques my interest is Buddy Tate meets Dollar Brand on Chiaroscuro 165 (from 1977). DOn't imagine this is as hard to find as the Holmes/Rachabane.

Another I want is Gene Ammons - Birdland - Chazzer 2044 a 1951 live gig.

MG

Buddy Tate & Abdullah Ibrahim is pretty nice, bought a copy when new at a very short-lived store here in Portland, OR

Jazz Messengers are advertising this one in their September catalogue at mid-price. Any more fans of this album?

Buddy Tate & Abdullah Ibrahim is pretty nice,

On paper it sounds like a good bet, as Tate's tone should mesh well with A.I.'s style.

If you want to hear it now...

eMusic

It is a good'un.

Thanks. I still subscribe to e music (although I'm losing interest) so will have a look!

Any Po Torch or Moers LP's transferred (officially) to CD

SOme of the Moers dates were released in what I remember as being official form back in the early 90s. This is how I acquired and first heard John Carter's Suite of Early American Folk Pieces for Solo Clarinet and Davis Murray's Live at Moers. Not an extensive reissue program, but it would appear many of these discs are still in print... http://www.moers-music.com/catalog/overview.html

many thanks for the link - great to see so many CDs but unfortunately a lot of the ones I'm interested in havn't made it to digital territory yet

Edited by romualdo