Obscure Albums You'd Give Your Eye Teeth to Hear

Pete C

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony Braxton and Wynton Marsalis, Duets (Lincoln Center Basement) 2006 (10 CD set)

Don't be fooled: it's just 10 hours of solo Braxton on contrabass saxophone playing

6 ---|

| =

If ----|

until Marsalis and the Manhattan sheriff show up to evict him.

(Sorry: failed attempt to show Braxton "composition"; can't recall how to insert "hard" spaces.

Edited by BeBop

Obscure albums I'd give my eye teeth (not quite but anyway ... ;)) to hear?

INGO: "Jazz auf der Gitarre" (Amadeo AVRS 9017) rec. late 50s.

Been aware of it (thanks to a 1960 jazz record catalog) since I started collecting in 1975 but never ever saw any copy anywhere, not even an unaffordable, over-the-top priced one, and to the best of my (admittedly scanty) knowledge of the Japanese market this seems to be scarce enough to even have eluded the Asian reissue freaks.

The internet is (or was?) your friend on this one...iic, it almost sounds like an audience recording and is a little aimless. I had high hopes, but...

Thanks for the report. One of the most transcendent live music experiences of my life was Jeanne Lee with Waldron, Workman & Cyrille at the North Sea festival, only months before she died.

I'll hang on to my teeth for as long as I can, but I wouldn't mind hearing the Emarcy album made by Art Hodes and Truck Parham.

"Plain Old Blues"? A little googlification on that one gave me several links to copies on vinyl (starting at $8 + shipping, on amazon, even!), as well as some legally more dubious options. No CDs, though.

Groove Holmes and Barney Rachabane - African encounter - Roots (South Africa) ROTC102

Rachabane is an very nice alto player who played with Abdullah Ibrahim on a few records and had a couple as a leader, too. No IDEA when the record was made, but I assume in South Africa.

Another that piques my interest is Buddy Tate meets Dollar Brand on Chiaroscuro 165 (from 1977). DOn't imagine this is as hard to find as the Holmes/Rachabane.

Another I want is Gene Ammons - Birdland - Chazzer 2044 a 1951 live gig.

MG

Art Mardigan's Mercury recordings: one co-led (more or less) with Bill De Arango and one a sextet featuring Don Joseph.

From http://www.jazzdisco.org/mercury-records/discography-1954/:

Bill (De Arango) Quartet

John Williams (p) Bill De Arango (g) Teddy Kotick (b) Art Mardigan (d)

Fine Sound Studios, NYC, May 7, 1954

10526 Alone Together EmArcy MG 26020, EP 1-6031

10527 Gone With The Wind -

10528 All God's Chillun Got Rhythm -

10529 The Nearness Of You -

10530 The Gypsy In My Soul EmArcy MG 26020, EP 1-6032

10531 Dancing On The Ceiling -

10532 Summertime -

10533 These Foolish Things -

* EmArcy MG 26020 Bill De Arango - De Arango

= EmArcy (J) 195J 10086 Bill De Arango/Art Mardigan - Renditions

* EmArcy EP 1-6031 Bill De Arango - De Arango

* EmArcy EP 1-6032 Bill De Arango - Rendition

Art Mardigan Sextet

Don Joseph (cor) Milt Gold (tb) Al Cohn (ts) John Williams (p) Teddy Kotick (b) Art Mardigan (d)

NYC, May 20, 1954

W245 | 10553 I've Found A New Baby Wing MGW 60002; EmArcy (J) 195J 10086

W246 | 10551 Moroccan Blues -

W247 | 10550 Old Gold Wing MGW 60002, EPW 1 6002; EmArcy (J) 195J 10086

W248 | 10552 Golden Touch -

* Wing MGW 60002; EmArcy MG 36093 Various Artists - The Jazz School

* EmArcy (J) 195J 10086 Bill De Arango/Art Mardigan - Renditions

* Wing EPW 1 6002 Art Mardigan Sextet (no details)

I haven't heard the Pullen-Graves material for many years, but besides being compelling work, it's also interesting to consider how much Pullen's style transformed during his time with Mingus--and I'm talking great leaps in lyricism and range just from Moves to Changes, or my seeing him live in a comparable period.

I, too, like my eye teeth, but at the top of my want list for many years have been the two SRP albums by Don Pullen and Milford Graves.

The second Graves-Pullen is the one I have been looking for in vain for years...

I have the first LP...

You're lucky to have the first (hand-painted I presume?); Nommo (vol. 2) seems to come up pretty often.

I, too, like my eye teeth, but at the top of my want list for many years have been the two SRP albums by Don Pullen and Milford Graves.

The second Graves-Pullen is the one I have been looking for in vain for years...

I have the first LP...

You're lucky to have the first (hand-painted I presume?); Nommo (vol. 2) seems to come up pretty often.

Yes, my copy is a hand-painted job but whoever painted it seemes to have run out of painting material because there is not much of it :mellow:

But I have a business card from Milford Graves accompanying the album :cool: