blue note launches spotify app

alocispepraluger102

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying it right now. This is actually a really cool idea and well-executed. The opportunity to browse through the catalog chronologically, while showing all those old album covers, is something I really like. It's not perfect - much of the more obscure OOP material still hasn't been uploaded by EMI itself, so there are gaps and missing tracks (the John Hardee/Ike Quebec sides include only two cuts that were issued by some PD label). But huge props to whoever came up with a way to map all the albums to what's in the Spotify database.

I don't know how much money this is going to make them but this is the kind of thing that makes me at least want to spend money on the CDs.

Trying it right now. This is actually a really cool idea and well-executed. The opportunity to browse through the catalog chronologically, while showing all those old album covers, is something I really like. It's not perfect - much of the more obscure OOP material still hasn't been uploaded by EMI itself, so there are gaps and missing tracks (the John Hardee/Ike Quebec sides include only two cuts that were issued by some PD label). But huge props to whoever came up with a way to map all the albums to what's in the Spotify database.

I don't know how much money this is going to make them but this is the kind of thing that makes me at least want to spend money on the CDs.

Thanks Big Wheel. This was a project I lead. As longtime Blue Note addict and a digital nerd I took the opportunity to try to build the most engaging experience possible. Definitely a lot of gaps and I'm working w/ the EMI team that handles the feed into Spotify w/ regard to clearances and updates to the discography. I'm going to keep working to make this better and better.

Comments are always welcome so please send them my way.

Not sure if you saw the Rolling Stone and LA Times articles but so far, the reviews have been positive. Thanks for giving it a spin.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/blue-note-records-spotify-app-streamlines-jazz-discovery-20120912

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-blue-note-jazz-spotify-app-20120912,0,689551.story

Thanks Big Wheel. This was a project I lead. As longtime Blue Note addict and a digital nerd I took the opportunity to try to build the most engaging experience possible. Definitely a lot of gaps and I'm working w/ the EMI team that handles the feed into Spotify w/ regard to clearances and updates to the discography. I'm going to keep working to make this better and better.

Not sure if you saw the Rolling Stone and LA Times articles but so far, the reviews have been positive. Thanks for giving it a spin.

http://www.rollingst...covery-20120912

http://www.latimes.c...,0,689551.story

Let also add my kudos for this app, it's a very good way to explore the various "ages" of Blue Note, I'm really enjoying it. Good work!

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/blue-note-records-spotify-app-streamlines-jazz-discovery-20120912

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-blue-note-jazz-spotify-app-20120912,0,689551.story

BfB, this is a profoundly excellent thing you've got going here!!! This is worth it just to be able to hear those 10" titles that came out as BN Conns years ago (or, heck, ANY of the Conns for that matter!)

If I would add anything, I agree with Pete C about original liner notes. All of them are available as jpg's at the Vintage Vanguard site (here's a link to the Sidney Bechet liners to Blue Note 1207); perhaps you or someone here could assist in getting those on the app? Just a thought.

I truly hope this comes back to BN/EMI in a good way! Keep up the good work!

What comes with Spotify in terms of tracking cookies and such? Surely it doesn't just reach on out to snatch your tunes and then bring them back to you w/o some kind of data being exchanged?

And like Brownie, I'm a no/never re:Facebook, so, what other options are there?

Spotify is a streaming music service

I've been using it since April

No need to download music to my iPhone

I like it cuz I can hear the song I want

Their blue note collection is thumbs up

Thanks SS1, but what is a streaming music service?

MG

That just means that you can play the music of your choice on the device of your choice directly from a central server. You don't have to own a hard copy. The content comes to you in a steady flow, a "stream" of data. Streaming audio and video are all the rage these days!

It's pretty much like being a DJ of your own personal radio station & getting somebody else to actually spin the records.

What comes with Spotify in terms of tracking cookies and such? Surely it doesn't just reach on out to snatch your tunes and then bring them back to you w/o some kind of data being exchanged?

And like Brownie, I'm a no/never re:Facebook, so, what other options are there?

Spotify is a streaming music service

I've been using it since April

No need to download music to my iPhone

I like it cuz I can hear the song I want

Their blue note collection is thumbs up

Thanks SS1, but what is a streaming music service?

MG

That just means that you can play the music of your choice on the device of your choice directly from a central server. You don't have to own a hard copy. The content comes to you in a steady flow, a "stream" of data. Streaming audio and video are all the rage these days!

It's pretty much like being a DJ of your own personal radio station & getting somebody else to actually spin the records.

Oh, so you don't buy the music. How does someone make money out of it?

MG

Oh, so you don't buy the music. How does someone make money out of it?

MG

Advertising on the free version, subscription income on the premium version. The free version can only be used on a PC. With premium you can listen on mobile devices and also download tracks for offline listening that are DRM-controlled to be available only while you're an active subscriber.

Since Spotify and Facebook introduced their "collaboration", you must have a Facebook account to get a new Spotify account. A bad idea if you ask me. If you were already using Spotify when this came into effect, you're not required to join Facebook however.

Yeah, I'm lucky. I got in on the ground floor in the U.S. You had to request an invite, and a few days later you'd get an activation email. I guess that's no longer an option. Sounds like an antitrust issue to me, frankly.

Way to go bluesforBartok! It's a fun app which encourages that seemingly long gone desire to "surf" around connecting the dots as it were between sidemen and leaders, etc. The coverflow through era is delightful & purdy! The "Blues Break Beats" is going to be educational for me as while I've known about sampling of Blue Note songs I haven't heard that many implementations. Very nicely done and it's the type of thing that may reinvigorate what had been a hibernating interest in Blue Note jazz. Thank you so much!

Not to rain on any parade, but there's nothing in Spotify that you can't find in Rhapsody, which doesn't require a FaceBook account.

That said, I just cancelled my Rhapsody subscription and plan on subscribing to Spotify because of this app (and because I'm already tired of condom commercials interrupting my jazz listening. ESPECIALLY when I'm listening at work!)

I like Spotify's interface better. I have a Rhapsody premium account because Spotify only recently became available for Kindle Fire, but I'll be switching to Spotify Premium soon. One advantage over Rhapsody is that for $10 I think I can use it on multiple non-PC devices, whereas Rhapsody charges $15 if you want it on two devices, and I also have an iPod touch. In addition, the fact that developers are creating lots of apps and extensions for Spotify will only make it more attractive over time compared to other services.