Unplayable cdrs

JohnS

Today I went to play a self-made cdr which was previously playable but now just a rhythmic noise from my cd player. My laptop reads it as bank disc, my pc spins it but no sound. I remember the horror stories about the limited life of cds/cdrs but this took me by surprise. The disc looks fine, no visible defects. Not sure when I made this disc but ten years ago at least. And I didn't make a copy! It was a recording of a concert I attended which makes the loss worse.

Moral, I guess, make a copy of essential stuff.

It doesn't help in JohnS's case as he notes the computer reads it as a blank, but if you ever come across one that isn't playing music be sure to check and see if it can be ripped on a PC. I've come across borrowed CDRs from long ago that wouldn't play but could be ripped and the resulting new CDR played (& ripped) just fine. And to repeat other good advice, always try more than one player. But sometimes a bad disc is a bad disc.

I have some CD-Rs from the late 1990s that have gotten some sort of film on them, I can't get it off. Some of them don't play at all. Some of them have a loud digital static sound throughout. I've tried to extract and reburn some of these but it hasn't worked. I have other CD-Rs from the same era that still play fine.

I've had DVD-Rs that won't read in one computer, then read in another. I have this whole cabinet full of CD-Rs of albums I downloaded from emusic, most of which I can hear on my iPod. This thread makes me wonder how many of those have become useless wastes of space. Only one way to find out...

No luck with ripping, the portable or the dvd player. Still I'm saddened by the loss. I'll be ripping a few other cdrs in the next week or to be on the safe side.

it was a recording of a James Blood Ulmer concert with David Murray in London in 1980. Blood introduced the gig by saying 'you're going to hear some new shit tonight'. A subsequent review said that Grant Calvin Weston's drumming was like a road mending machine gone mad.

Edited by JohnS