My dentist wouldn't give me my teeth back!

So I had a double crown on two side teeth gone really bad extracted today. Afterwards, I asked if I could keep the teeth and my dentist sternly refused, saying there was too much bacteria and infection on them for me to have it and that it had to be disposed of as it was biomedical waste. His hygienist seconded what he said and I didn't want to press an awkward issue further.

He said I could have kept them if they were instead fairly healthy teeth and did let me take pictures though. To be fair, the teeth were in pretty dire shape (dark,decayed & rotting). My dentist is otherwise a friendly and reasonable dude. Has this happened to anyone else here before? I don't see what the harm was.

Edited by trane_fanatic

I can understand the desire to have the tooth back (it's a part of your body, however gross it may have gotten).

But I side with the dentist on this one. While the bacteria are relatively harmless in the unsterile environment of your mouth, that doesn't apply once the tooth is out of your mouth. In terms of quantity and probable toxicity of the bacteria, we're basically talking about handing a jagged, rusty nail back to you (only with a lot more bacteria on it, I bet) and praying you don't inhale, ingest, or - especially - have any microbes work their way into an open wound. And I suspect a decayed molar is almost impossible to perfectly sterilize - there are all these nooks and crannies where bacteria can hide out.

Streptococcus mutans can potentially do much nastier things to you than just give you cavities: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3240

It's the dentist's job to protect you from obvious hazards like this, and probably he's figuring that on the .01% chance you end up with a nasty infection, it's a malpractice suit that he could have easily avoided.

Edited by Big Wheel

So I had a double crown on two side teeth gone really bad extracted today. Afterwards, I asked if I could keep the teeth and my dentist sternly refused, saying there was too much bacteria and infection on them for me to have it and that it had to be disposed of as it was biomedical waste. His hygienist seconded what he said and I didn't want to press an awkward issue further.

He said I could have kept them if they were instead fairly healthy teeth and did let me take pictures though. To be fair, the teeth were in pretty dire shape (dark,decayed & rotting). My dentist is otherwise a friendly and reasonable dude. Has this happened to anyone else here before? I don't see what the harm was.

There are strict laws governing the proper of medical waste. Your dentist was legally and ethically bound to do what he did. You should feel good about the fact that he acted in a professional manner.

I'd guess it's a pretty common request. After all, they were your teeth up until they were extracted. Rather than have to negotiate with each patient after every extraction, it's probably easier for the dentist to just stick to the guidelines for disposal and not even entertain a single request for the extracted teeth back.

I had an extraction earlier this year and the tooth was gone and disposed of as soon as it was taken out. Didn't even get to see it. I was just glad it was out, as it was causing a lot of discomfort for several weeks.

All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth

Every body stops

and stares at me

These two teeth are

gone as you can see

I don't know just who

to blame for this catastrophe!

But my one wish on Christmas Eve

is as plain as it can be!

All I want for Christmas

is my two front teeth,

my two front teeth,

see my two front teeth!

Gee, if I could only

have my two front teeth,

then I could with you

"Merry Christmas."

It seems so long since I could say,

"Sister Susie sitting on a thistle!"

Gosh oh gee, how happy I'd be,

if I could only whistle (thhhh)

All I want for Christmas

is my two front teeth,

my two front teeth,

see my two front teeth.

Gee, if I could only

have my two front teeth,

then I could wish you

"Merry Christmas!"

keep boppin´

marcel

It's a malpractice insurance issue. Kinda like a surgeon handing you your appendix after taking it out.

Well....there are probably shades of gray too. As trane_fanatic said, if the tooth was healthy he could have gotten it back. And I've gotten random stuff back before from the oral surgeon (a salivary stone). So that's why I think the amount and probable virulence of the bacteria probably play a role in the decision - if it's something that will easily dry out before too many bacteria accumulate on it, it might be OK, but if it's already chock-full of potentially dangerous organisms, no.

Has anyone been given back healthy wisdom teeth in the last 10 years or so? I never saw any of mine but feel like it used to be common to get them back after extraction.

Has anyone been given back healthy wisdom teeth in the last 10 years or so? I never saw any of mine but feel like it used to be common to get them back after extraction.

I still have two of mine from significantly more than ten years ago. Carry them around in my travel kit for good luck, whatever that means.

You probably don't want to see the. Wisdom teeth are pretty gnarly (in the older sense of the word) looking things.

This reminds me of Raymond Roussel's 'Locus Solus' - where the wealthy scientist Canterel has devised a painless method of extracting teeth through magnetism, and accumulates a large stockpile of discoloured teeth with which he creates a giant mosaic of a murky crypt scene.