Gary Burton Qt Live (1968)

RogerF

I think 3 or 4 tracks from that album were included on a domestic Victor (Bluebird?) compilation CD, but as noted, not the whole thing.

A Burton recording that never even made it to the US was a Japanese concert recording on Atlantic 8280. (Sankei Hall, Tokyo, July 12, 1971). Other than Japan, only the Canadian WEA affiliate released it. I wrote the liner notes for that issue. I think it's the only Burton recording with guitarist Sam Brown...

Thanks both. I am a big Coryell fan and also of Burton in that era (for that reason). There was a certain Coryell - Burton - Gibbs - ©Bley nexus around that time. This therefore goes on the 'must have' list.

Edit: © is for Carla not copyright! :rolleyes:

Edited by RogerF

I think 3 or 4 tracks from that album were included on a domestic Victor (Bluebird?) compilation CD, but as noted, not the whole thing.

A Burton recording that never even made it to the US was a Japanese concert recording on Atlantic 8280. (Sankei Hall, Tokyo, July 12, 1971). Other than Japan, only the Canadian WEA affiliate released it. I wrote the liner notes for that issue. I think it's the only Burton recording with guitarist Sam Brown...

Who else is on it? Never heard of that one!

FWIW, though, Brown was also on the Burton/Jarrett Atlantic side (always found that one to be a big letdown, although it was pretty popular in its day).

FWIW, though, Brown was also on the Burton/Jarrett Atlantic side (always found that one to be a big letdown, although it was pretty popular in its day).

True, the Burton/Jarrett doesn't stand the test of time. And thanks for reminding me about Brown's presence.

The Japanese (and Canadian issue) Atlantic has Burton, Sam Brown on guitar, Tony Levin electric bass, and Bill Goodwin on drums. I think Burton nixed a further issue because there was too much track-duplication from other releases. Good live concert, though.

The tracks sre:

Ballet

On The Third Day

Sunset Bell/The Green Mountains

African Flower

Portsmouth Figurations

I'm listening to the Burton In Concert album now, and it's a very strong performance - maybe the best recording by that quartet. My early-70s copy is mastered at a very low level, so that the softer passages compete with the surface noise. Might be a reason to buy the new issue.

But don't listen to me - I like the Burton/Jarrett Atlantic album. It ain't a masterpiece, but I like it.

I've got this on vinyl, I bought it just after it was released in the UK after hearing one of the tracks played on the radio.

I played it to death and now the only copy I have is the worn out LP. Favourite tracks were Walter L which is very much like the Metheny/Burton effort and Lines which is a Burton/Coryell duo.

I'm very much looking forward to getting a copy without the plops and clicks of a thousand plays.

• 1 year later...

FYI, it's this one:

41J5eQTvBEL.jpg

Amazon

FYI, it's this one:

41J5eQTvBEL.jpg

Amazon

Yes, I picked that up...and the buggers didn't use my English-language liner notes! Unless, of course, they translated them into Japanese, and that's what's inside. Yeah, that's the ticket! :w