What is this Ellington song?

mikelz777

What is the music being played in this video? (see link below) Reading through the comments, posters mention "E and D Blues" by the Duke Ellington Orchestra (w/Johnny Hodges) and another said it was something off of Ellington's "Blues In Orbit". I've heard a sample of "E and D Blues" and it sounds like that could be it but obviously, there was no Ella vocal in the video, it's an instrumental. Can anyone here positively ID the tune and if so, on what album would I find it? [The video's pretty cool by the way, the featured couple are a lot of fun to watch.]

What is this song?

Edited by mikelz777

Why are they dancing to that great jazz instead of listening to it? I thought we had moved beyond that type of primitive response to such a sophisticated and intellectual music.

Now, yes that sounds like "E and D Blues", but you're right, I don't hear Ella. I wonder if it was recorded elsewhere under a different title.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Now, what to do about all this dancing to perfectly good jazz? Not acceptable. It's not the 40s anymore, ya' know?

The local rehearsal band I play in did a swing dance gig a few weeks ago, playing lots of Fletcher Henderson/Goodman charts, Lunceford, Basie, etc. It was great having a bunch of dancers (in addition to lots of folks sitting and listening), and I think the band grooved a LOT harder than usual, knowing that we were playing for dancers rather than getting all in our own heads "thinking about how to swing."

Jazz is for LISTENING!

Dancing is for TEENAGERS!

If you feel the urge to dance, go have sex or something. But when it comes to the jazz, just sit still and listen. Or at least act like you are. Not even finger-poppin' or offering verbal encouragement. That's how the pros do it, and they enforce it.

I've been on this anti-dance (and dance music) music craze for some time, and I ain't a-stoppin' now. The Future Of The Art is at stake!

My best friend played trumpet in a swingtet here in Austin for a handful of years, and there was quite a bit of dancing going on. The pianist's then wife was a swing dance instructor, and that meant bodies on the dance floor. A lot of fun. My late wife Helen and I even danced at a few of their gigs. I miss this band.

Here's a poster from one of their best events. The red beans and rice were good.

BaronsPlaySatch.jpg

A photo of the core band.

EarlyBarons.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

In all seriousness, I'm a fan of dancing. To anything. Especially jazz. Any kind. Anywhere. I'm just not good at it. At all. Bad knees, bad ankles, and some perverted center off gravity. But I'd give damn near anything if I was.

Read that and identified immediately. And I don't even have knees and ankles as excuses. I wouldn't give my ears, but ....