Jazz albums reissued on CD by Atlantic Japan

J.A.W.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is a separate thread on these from late spring/early summer. Looking at the CD Japan web site, the are $12 each. I have ordered a few of these through CD Japan, one of which was "Money in the Pocket" by Joe Zawinul. Sound-wise, I was pretty impressed, seemed to be a nice upgrade to what I had previously thought was a crappy-sounding CD.

Edited by Eric

Watch for the Yen sign ¥.

As far as I can tell the official price for these are ¥1000, which equals £7.85, $12.73 and €9.75.

Thanks Daniel. I think I'll go for the Clifford Jordan, which has John Patton on 3 tracks - I think the only Patton I haven't got.

I wish they had included more of Herbie Mann's disco albums, but there are a few here I'll get :D

Also some more Milt Jacksons.

Most of these I'll leave for next year, though. Will they still be around?

MG

The sound on the ones I have from this series is a tad loud to my ears, though not nearly as bad as on many other Japanese jazz CD reissues from the last 10 years or so.

This is a limited edition, as are most Japanese CDs. I don't think they'll be around next year.

Edited by J.A.W.

The sound on the ones I have from this series is a tad loud to my ears, though not nearly as bad as on many other Japanese jazz CD reissues from the last 10 years or so.

This is a limited edition, as are most Japanese CDs. I don't think they'll be around next year.

Hm, yes, that's always a factor with Japanese CDs. Well...

MG

• 1 month later...

Thanks Hans.

Anyone know what the SOnny Sharrock 'Black woman' album is like?

MG

It's really fantastic. You have Linda Sharrock's vocals to contend with though. Which you will probably appreciate, especially in regard to your church sermon interests.

You can audition a couple of tracks here

My link

Blind Willie is on this album. One of the most essential guitar recordings in Jazz history.

And also Ask The Ages is a masterpiece bookend to Black Woman as well.

I need to get a copy of BW again myself. I had this on vinyl for awhile in 1987. It was probably an original, or maybe an Affinity? re-issue.

Thanks Hans.

I see John Lewis's Jazz Abstractions is in there. I've got the LP. Has it ever been on CD? I know the tracks with Ornette are on the Ornette box.

Yes, I own the first CD edition I had back in 1993 (if I remember well the year).

In the Beauty Is A Rare Thing box there are only two ensemble tracks from Jazz Abstractions, Criss Cross and Variants On A Theme Of John Lewis (Django). The original have two more pieces.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I went to a brick and mortar store today to do some christmas shopping and surprisingly they were well stocked with this series at bargain prices (about a third of the cost of an average new CD, pretty cheap especially for Japanese imports). All new and sealed, i couldn't resist picking some up:

The Modern Jazz Quartet: The Comedy, The Legendary Profile, At The Music Inn Guest Artist Sonny Rollins and the self titled album from '57.

Charles Lloyd: Dream Weaver and Journey Within

Gary Burton: Good Vibes

Lee Konitz: The Real Lee Konitz

Dave Brubeck: Last Set at Newport

On a quick skim through sound wise they all sound good to my ears. Music wise there's nothing desert island here although there's plenty to enjoy. Highly enjoying the MJQ, still need to get in to the Lloyd (like them enough but glad i held off binging on the other Atlantic Lloyds that they had in stock). The Burton unfortunately falls on the slightly corny side of his late sixties/early seventies stuff; extremely dated sounding but as a big fan there's still stuff for me to enjoy there. Konitz is Konitz and i'll enjoy the Brubeck when i'm in the mood for Brubeck.

Received the newly issued two CDs with the MJQ's Concert in Japan today. I will buy only those still missing in my collection.

Well, I got European Concert as well, as the 32Jazz reissue was missing the announcements, which are very dear to me - I grew up with that LP.

Sound is excellent, although I have the impression that they removed some of the cymbal brightness with the tape hiss (which is very audible on Atlantic recordings).

In another thread member erwbol wasn't so enthusiastic about the sound on these Atlantic reissues - and that's putting it mildly.

This sent me looking for the other thread... for the sake of it here's a link to said thread:

And another link that someone posted in the other thread that i found useful: http://www.marlbank.net/news/944-1000-yen-gems-from-the-atlantic-vaults-issued-at-mid-price

The albums i purchased were all albums that i've never owned so i've got nothing to compare to. Having said that the MJQ albums sound good compared to other issues of MJQ albums that i have, and the Lloyds sound better than the old Forest Flower/Soundtrack CD release of old IMO. Sonic upgrade wise and whether these are worth replacing albums that you already have i dunno it's not really my realm but if it's an album you don't already have i honestly think you can't go wrong with these. They certainly beat the crap out of PD releases. I definitely won't be hesitating to pick up some more (the Charles Lloyd's are actually hitting the spot, god help me).