Jazz albums reissued on CD by Atlantic Japan

J.A.W.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Chick Corea's "Tones for Joan's Bones" in these japanese release series sounds better than the european version that came out a few years back - that european version sounds very bright and harsh to me.

Just picked this up today and can confirm that it sounds significantly better than the Atlantic Original Sound digipak version from 1998 (not sure if this is the version you're referring to), which i found to be annoyingly hot and harsh. Actually pretty stoked with this; ummed and ahhed in the store but i guess i gambled and won on this one. I'm not usually one for re-buying stuff that i already have for the sake of better sound but i'm starting to see the positive side of it.

Does anyone know if Chick Corea's "Tones for Joan's Bones" in these japanese release series sounds better than the european version that came out a few years back - that european version sounds very bright and harsh to me.

Just picked this up today and can confirm that it sounds significantly better than the Atlantic Original Sound digipak version from 1998 (not sure if this is the version you're referring to), which i found to be annoyingly hot and harsh. Actually pretty stoked with this; ummed and ahhed in the store but i guess i gambled and won on this one. I'm not usually one for re-buying stuff that i already have for the sake of better sound but i'm starting to see the positive side of it.

I would agree with that. I have both versions too and the new '1000 Yen' series issue sounds significantly better all round.

I would agree with that. I have both versions too and the new '1000 Yen' series issue sounds significantly better all round.

I'm actually quite taken aback by how much of a difference the better sound has made to my enjoyment of this album! When i listened last night i only intended to do a quick comparison with the old version and then move on to other things, didn't really feel like listening to TFJB at all, but i ended up listening to the whole album, just couldn't take it off. Outstanding.

thanks and what is the catalogue number of the version you purchased?

That's the one!

That's the one!

thanks guys!!

These Atlantic Jazz cds from japan are like potato chips...

I always include one or two in my orders from japan. Now, I am really enjoying Herbie Mann's "Stone Flute" featuring Sharrock, Vitous + strings in some tracks. Quite a recording, apart from any other Mann album I know. Experimental, moody etc. Highly recommended.

Following this, I just placed my order for two Mann's Newport albums and another one with Sharrock (Windows opened) and Sharrock's own Black Woman as well as Corea's above mentioned CD. I inlcuded also Vitous/Marcus/Sharrock "Green Line" CD which I never had.

Edited by Alexandros

A great series. I never thought Atlantics could sound this good on cd. Vinyl in many cases when I can compare is still a bit better, but the digital versions have never sounded better to me.

I have targeted many of them this year: the Coltrane, Giuffre, Coleman, Kirk, Jarrett, Lloyd, Mingus and Burton work among others. I'll keep picking up more, probably the Charles and Ellington for sure, before they disappear. Doesn't hurt that the price is right!

Edited by jazzbo

A great series. I never thought Atlantics could sound this good on cd. Vinyl in many cases when I can compare is still a bit better, but the digital versions have never sounded better to me.

Certainly would agree with that. Best CD sound to date for most of the Atlantic material.

• 2 months later...

Received my copy today of the Dick Katz reissue, "Piano and Pen" - excellent sound, originally (by Tom Dowd) and the rmastering. But I hate the Japanese for their strict facsimile approach, they could have included the half album "Jazz Piano International" featuring Katz ... was that reissued as well? Katz plays so well on this session, Chuck Wayne, too ... no wonder John Lewis liked him.

518nfs-LQaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

p.s. there was a Collectables twofer CD with the one I asked for, but what does it sound like?

41KDF4TWV9L.jpg

Both the Dick Katz "Piano & Pen" and "Jazz Piano International" albums are excellent.

The "Jazz Piano International" album consists of sessions by three pianists, all organised for Atlantic by John Lewis in 1957. As well as the four tracks by Dick Katz there are four by Rene Urtreger and three by the very good British pianist Derek Smith. Like all these Japanese Atlantic re-issues they sound terrific (IMO!).

• 1 month later...

Keen to get an instant fix of Chris Connor on Atlantic I visited my local Fopp..

Chris in person

A jazz date with Chris Connor

Witchcraft

Three great dates but the sound is very definitely on the harsh side. It's all just listenable but her vocals required more delicate mastering. Excessive sibilance such that S sounds snake like with hissing. Pity.

Keen to get an instant fix of Chris Connor on Atlantic I visited my local Fopp..

Chris in person

Witchcraft

Three great dates but the sound is very definitely on the harsh side. It's all just listenable but her vocals required more delicate mastering. Excessive sibilance such that S sounds snake like with hissing. Pity.

That's a shame because I've enjoyed the sound on all the recent Atlantic re-issues I've bought. However none of mine have been vocals, so perhaps that's why.

I have found though that the latest batch of Japanese Enja reissues are a tad harsh but, again, they're perfectly listenable

Chris in person

Witchcraft

That's a shame because I've enjoyed the sound on all the recent Atlantic re-issues I've bought. However none of mine have been vocals, so perhaps that's why.

I have found though that the latest batch of Japanese Enja reissues are a tad harsh but, again, they're perfectly listenable

My complaint won't stop me listening to these but compared to other CD issues of Chris Craft and Gershwin these are harsh. I only bought 2 of the recent Enjas because I found like you that these were on the harsh side.