Jazz albums reissued on CD by Atlantic Japan

J.A.W.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm checking out frank rosolino's 'turn me loose' and it sounds very choice. swinging like crazy, his vocals sound fine and not at all distorted. great stereo soundstage with the vocal coming straight down the center lane. highly recommended...

matzos and meatballs!

ps: my euro and japanese atlantics are absolutely night and day...

agreed....

Not that I really care all that much, but did you guys actually compare any albums that were released both in the proper Japanese and the Euro versions? Or is that just a general statement? Which no doubt I don't doubt, just wondering ...

As this question is still unanswered, I will try to give it a go :

First two CD`s I`ve bought from the series were two "Euro" Cd`s, i. Art Farmer "Softly sing me of the Blues" and Bud Powell " In Paris" - as I do own both records as japanese Vinyl reissues there was a certain "sound in my head" ans listening to both "Euro" CD`s brought some disappointment based on the rather harsh sound.

As I`ve been in touch with a friend in Japan we talked about it and he pointed out, that the japanese and the "Euro" CD`S were manufactured in different pressing plants and that he would prefer the japanese Pressings soundwise in any case. Curiosity got the best of me and i ordered both titles via CDJapan.

The result was really suprising, as the forementioned harshness of the "Euro" counterparts was minimized to a vast extent and the japanese versions had a clear and spatious sound....and therefore comparable to the Vinyl sound being "part of my system".....

This experience was made via a pretty good, but not "out of the world" stereo equipment......my 5 pence worth....

ps : playing from time to time the two "Euro" CD`s in my garden house and at least the beloved music is still the same ;)

Edited by soulpope

i'm checking out frank rosolino's 'turn me loose' and it sounds very choice. swinging like crazy, his vocals sound fine and not at all distorted. great stereo soundstage with the vocal coming straight down the center lane. highly recommended...

matzos and meatballs!

ps: my euro and japanese atlantics are absolutely night and day...

agreed....

Not that I really care all that much, but did you guys actually compare any albums that were released both in the proper Japanese and the Euro versions? Or is that just a general statement? Which no doubt I don't doubt, just wondering ...

As this question is still unanswered, I will try to give it a go :

First two CD`s I`ve bought from the series were two "Euro" Cd`s, i. Art Farmer "Softly sing me of the Blues" and Bud Powell " In Paris" - as I do own both records as japanese Vinyl reissues there was a certain "sound in my head" ans listening to both "Euro" CD`s brought some disappointment based on the rather harsh sound.

As I`ve been in touch with a friend in Japan we talked about it and he pointed out, that the japanese and the "Euro" CD`S were manufactured in different pressing plants and that he would prefer the japanese Pressings soundwise in any case. Curiosity got the best of me and i ordered both titles via CDJapan.

The result was really suprising, as the forementioned harshness of the "Euro" counterparts was minimized to a vast extent and the japanese versions had a clear and spatious sound....and therefore being comparable to the Vinyl sound being "part of my system".....

This experience was made via a pretty good, but not "out of the world" stereo equipment......my 5 pence worth....

ps : playing from time to time the two "Euro" CD`s in my garden house and at least the beloved music is still the same ;)

Very intriguing. Thanks for sharing.

Monk/Blakey (mono)
I think only the 3 alt takes are mono, not the main album tracks.
Edited by Alexandros

Yeah, thanks soulpope!

However, this begs another question, since the pressing plant is handed material (glass masters or whatever) from which they go. I'd never have supposed the actual manufacturing part of a CD to make a big difference (okay, there are a pair of different ways to "finish" the product, you get rough edges or not ...), but if it's about harshness and spatiousness - that would again account for different masters, I'd assume?

As this is just a discussion - mind me, I don't doubt any of it - but not an account of actual comparison, the question to me still is open. I guess I might eventually get one of the Japanese Connor discs of which I've just bought a Euro edition ... but I don't plan on buying any of these in the next weeks.

I skipped all Carmen McRae, not sure why ... any hidden gems amongst her Atlantic/Warner albums?

b4e74edc62.jpg

WPCR-27901 + WPCR-27902

That's the one I have (the red digipack with all the music on one disc) - great stuff! I wonder if any of the others reaches similar heights?

.......and.........by Chris Connor ? ...

8b7079983d.jpg

Interestingly this platter - IMO (one of) her best - didn`t make it to this series (last time reissued in Japan 2008).....

That, too .... got the "domestic" version used a while ago - definitely one of her best! How would it be presented in Japan, three volumes?

I like the late Milt Jacksons.

and the John Lewis ones, especially:

WPCR-27090.jpg?v=1WPCR-27036.jpg?v=1

Those are of course not "late" Lewis ... but yeah, they're very good! Of "Wonderful World" I have an old "domestic" edition and again feel absolutely no need to re-buy (at least not as long as there's so much on this list that I want to check out). Good to see these recent reissue also has the bonus tracks though!

"Meditations and Excursions" is one I've got in the european version, too (also "The Golden Stryker" and "Essence" and "Jazz Abstractions", and plenty of early Bags), it's indeed gorgeous!

I skipped all Carmen McRae, not sure why ... any hidden gems amongst her Atlantic/Warner albums?

b4e74edc62.jpg

WPCR-27901 + WPCR-27902

Yes, I agree with that... her finest hour?

I've always been happy with the sound on my Atlantic Jazz CD which contains both of these (I think), so won't be buying these re-issues. BTW, I presume everything on these two is included on my CD?

b4e74edc62.jpg

WPCR-27901 + WPCR-27902

Yes, I agree with that... her finest hour?

I've always been happy with the sound on my Atlantic Jazz CD which contains both of these (I think), so won't be buying these re-issues. BTW, I presume everything on these two is included on my CD?

one of her finest hour`s, (IMO) together with this one :

90cd562baa.jpg

btw believe you should have the complete material available on your release of "The Great American Songbook".....

Edited by soulpope

Flurin, I believe all the single disc versions of the Carmen Songbook omit many of the vocal introductions. . . which are all great and I wouldn't want to be without them. I could be wrong, I know the US single cd version did omit them.

To find out if two different pressings are bit identical, you may compare the checksums displayed for each track by ripping software like EAC (Exact Audio Copy). If the checksums are identical, so is the data.

Hear, hear.

Except the current Japanese Warner jazz discs are garbage.

Wow, don't feel that way at all (I don't have any of the European ones, only the Japanese).

To find out if two different pressings are bit identical, you may compare the checksums displayed for each track by ripping software like EAC (Exact Audio Copy). If the checksums are identical, so is the data.

Hear, hear.

Except the current Japanese Warner jazz discs are garbage.

probably it`s because english is not my mother language - but could not find IMO in you last statement. otherwise, i believe that this sort of statements is disrespectful towards other thread contributors........and yes, I do remember you`ve stated your (same) point of view already several times....

Edited by soulpope

soulpope: thanks for the comparisons. it confirms my fears thoughts about the series. a few years ago i purchased identical masters of the steely dan catalog. the differences were surprising in that you wouldn't have thought them to be from the same mastering at all (maybe similar in some ways to your analysis of this series being pressed in europe vs japan). btw, can you believe I have a copy of the 'connor sings gershwin' sitting here unopened...? :o

soulpope: thanks for the comparisons. it confirms my fears thoughts about the series. a few years ago i purchased identical masters of the steely dan catalog. the differences were surprising in that you wouldn't have thought them to be from the same mastering at all (maybe similar in some ways to your analysis of this series being pressed in europe vs japan). btw, can you believe I have a copy of the 'connor sings gershwin' sitting here unopened...? :o

thnx for your feedback - my interest in jazz (and classical music) started with vinyl and at that time (during the seventies) purchasing a japanese pressing was a 99% probability that 1) superior vinyl was used 2) very good transfer 3) original coverart etc aka altogether you were buying a quality product....today`s situation is rather annoying (master used/individual remastering forcing a certain "sound"/influence of the pressing plant used.....) and I`m therefore very picky regarding (new) purchases....so all the discussions here are informative and helpfull, but at the end of the day me and all others have to decide what`s up to their liking...or not....

ps you should unseal the connor gershwin almanac asap - this is great music and IMO likely her best outing

Edited by soulpope

I still can't imagine different handling of things in the pressing plant accounts for different sound!

And thanks for the info, Lon - those two go onto my shopping list, then, I guess .... I really love those recordings! Any other of the Carmen McRae albums in the series that you (or anyone else) can recommend?

I still can't imagine different handling of things in the pressing plant accounts for different sound!

And thanks for the info, Lon - those two go onto my shopping list, then, I guess .... I really love those recordings! Any other of the Carmen McRae albums in the series that you (or anyone else) can recommend?

you would wonder what asking prices people are ready to pay nowadays for Classical Music Cd` - for instance Decca or DG -if being original releases from West German pressing plants :o ..........

I can see how where a CD is manufactured can be a factor in the quality of the physical product (the materials used, whether it will deteriorate quicker, whether it's more likely to have manufacturing defects that will affect playback) but i can't see how it will affect the sound, at least in terms of whether it sounds like a good mastering job or a bad mastering job.

I can imagine it. All kinds of things can happen at the pressing stage including phase reversal, EQ changes, etc.

I didn't know that! That opens up the possibilities for me.

I confess I don't know much about the other Atlantics. I heard a few a few decades ago before I "got" Carmen and wasn't thrilled. I should begin checking them out in the near future. The one I'd most like to hear, the live one with Simmons on piano, "Live at Century Plaza," I think was only on cd from Japan a long time ago and is very expensive now.

Edited by jazzbo

Okay, if they have morons at pressing plants that make technical mistakes, that is indeed an explanation. And as we know, some majors have stopped any quality control decades ago, so yes, that's indeed a good point!

But on the other hand, so far I was under the assumption that pressing plants would get *something* that they just execute (i.e. I send my PDF to the printer and tell them how to print it - and if they don't do it that way, I don't pay unless they get it right - and to not get it right, they need be morons indeed).

But I have no idea what steps in the manufacturing might actually only be done at a pressing plant (or what the margin of possible intererence is), as I really have no idea how a CD, step by step, is produced.

I confess I don't know much about the other Atlantics. I heard a few a few decades ago before I "got" Carmen and wasn't thrilled. I should begin checking them out in the near future. The one I'd most like to hear, the live one with Simmons on piano, "Live at Century Plaza," I think was only on cd from Japan a long time ago and is very expensive now.

The Sound Of Silence is...not bad.