Carole Reiff Jazz Photography

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all....I'm a friend of the Reiff family. Carol's mother, Florence, published the collection as an homage. Both of Carol's parents are now deceased. She has a brother, David, and once can assume all of their parents possessions went to him. He's a teacher in NYC somewhere. Carol died very young of kidney failure, I believe, related to diabetes. She was in her late 30's I think. It was a tragic loss for her family. Best of luck getting hold of the photos. I've no idea where they might be. I'm just happy to know people are still interested.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest proxy

Hello to all Carole Reiff fans,

I am a friend of her brother, David Davidson Reiff. He is in process of obtaining the copyright to his sister's work "Nights in Birdland". The book was published posthumously by her parents. She fell ill and succumbed to diabetes/dialysis in 1984 at the age of 49. David and I are in touch weekly and are in lockstep as how to proceed on this issue. The goal is to establish that the copyright belongs to the immediate family, ie. David Reiff, Carole's brother.

I'm sure anyone who has seen the non-bootleg version of "Nights in Birdland" will agree that this is a classic of jazz and photography and should be preserved as such.

Guest youmustbe

Huh? I've spoken to the person who has the negatives. And all rights for the archives, so I don't know what this is about.

The book stinks because so many photos are misidentified.

Huh? I've spoken to the person who has the negatives. And all rights for the archives, so I don't know what this is about.

The book stinks because so many photos are misidentified.

I recall seeing a Carole Reiff photograph recently, it was taken at one of the New York airports with Chet Baker posed at the boarding ramp as he prepared to visit Europe for the first time. I believe that the photo was in the booklet for the recent eight CD set of all of Chet’s Barclay recordings. I won’t be able to check and verify until I return home next week. Currently enjoying some of the finest big band jazz one could wish: Les Hooper, Frankie Capp, John Altman, Ann Patterson, Chris Walden, Roger Neumann, Gordon Goodwin,etc. All at the Los Angeles Jazz Institute’s four festival at LAX, A SWINGING AFFAIR.

Jim

P.S. No, it was not the Claxton photo that was used on the cover of PJ-1218 using models. If the Reiff photo is in the Chet set that means someone had access to her archive and licensed the photo for use in the booklet.

It's reassuring to confirm that the brains cells devoted to memory are still functional. The photo by Carole Reiff that I referenced is indeed in the booklet for the recent Chet Baker Barclay sessions. It is on page 61 and is a nice photo of Chet boarding the Pan Am propeller clipper at Idelwild Airport, September 4, 1955. The Carole Reiff Photography archive is in good hands with a professional in the jazz photography field, Kati Meister.

Here are the details regarding her credentials:

KATI MEISTER

KATI MEISTER produces in film, television, and theatre. She is currently a Producer on Unnatural History, an animated children's TV series in development with Thirteen/WNET. She recently produced Lights! Action! Music! (a WLIW public television documentary on music scoring for the movies) and was the Associate Producer on two other PBS programs: a documentary (BBC co-production) entitled The World of Jewish Humor and the pioneering, interactive children's series, I'll Do It. 

Kati's extensive film credits as a Supervisor of Research, Rights and Clearances include Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam (HBO); Saturday Night Live (NBC); The Original Max Talking Headroom Show (Cinemax); John Hammond: From Bessie Smith to Bruce Springsteen (PBS); Children of Woodstock (ITV, UK); Inside the Actors Studio (Bravo); Nichols and May: Take Two (PBS); A Comic Life: Steve Martin (Comedy Central); Atlantic: Hip to the Tip (Channel Four, UK); Tom Dowd and the Language of Music (Palm Pictures); The Argonomist and Man from Plains (Jonathan Demme); and Beah: A Black Woman Speaks (HBO). Kati has also lent her expertise to many feature films such as Woody Allen's Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Alice; Greg Hoblit's Frequency and Hart's War; Jonathan Demme's The Manchurian Candidate; Bill Condon's Kinsey; and Mel Brooks's The Producers—The Movie Musical. 

In addition, Kati supervised Picture Research on the 565-page pictorial history of Atlantic Records, What’d I Say—The Atlantic Story, 50 Years of Music. She has shepherded several books to publication, including The Jazz Image, a history of jazz photography published by Abrams Books. She is also the Manager of the Carole Reiff Photo Archive, a collection of extraordinary jazz photos from the 1950s and 60s. 

After graduating from Mount Holyoke College, Kati taught dance and then went on to become the first Executive Director of the Northern Berkshire Council of the Arts, where she was responsible for designing, promoting, and running a wide variety of arts programs for fifteen diverse towns in Northern Berkshire County. 

In New York, Kati is on the Advisory Board of Dancing With Horses, a unique dance company creating dances for horses, equestrians and dancers. In 2003, she was a Producer on the First Annual Nightlife Awards, given for the best NYC nightclub performances in Cabaret, Comedy, and Jazz. Kati was the Co-Producer of the Theatre World Awards in 2006 and 2007.

I noticed a new thread on this forum regarding a new book in the planning stages to be published by Jordi Pujol who owns Fresh Sound Records. Obviously, the Reiff archive contains numerous photos of Birdland which would add greatly to this book. I hope that Jordi has established a generous budget for photos.

Jim

It also contains an essay by Jack Kerouac, "The Beginning of Bop" (from: Escapade, April 1959).

i have a recording of an essay by him speaking about either the beginning of bebop or the meaning of bebop. it's very good and in typical Kerouac fashion very intense and fast.

• 1 month later...

It's reassuring to confirm that the brains cells devoted to memory are still functional. The photo by Carole Reiff that I referenced is indeed in the booklet for the recent Chet Baker Barclay sessions. It is on page 61 and is a nice photo of Chet boarding the Pan Am propeller clipper at Idelwild Airport, September 4, 1955. The Carole Reiff Photography archive is in good hands with a professional in the jazz photography field, Kati Meister.

KATI MEISTER

KATI MEISTER produces in film, television, and theatre. She is currently a Producer on Unnatural History, an animated children's TV series in development with Thirteen/WNET. She recently produced Lights! Action! Music! (a WLIW public television documentary on music scoring for the movies) and was the Associate Producer on two other PBS programs: a documentary (BBC co-production) entitled The World of Jewish Humor and the pioneering, interactive children's series, I'll Do It. 

Kati's extensive film credits as a Supervisor of Research, Rights and Clearances include Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam (HBO); Saturday Night Live (NBC); The Original Max Talking Headroom Show (Cinemax); John Hammond: From Bessie Smith to Bruce Springsteen (PBS); Children of Woodstock (ITV, UK); Inside the Actors Studio (Bravo); Nichols and May: Take Two (PBS); A Comic Life: Steve Martin (Comedy Central); Atlantic: Hip to the Tip (Channel Four, UK); Tom Dowd and the Language of Music (Palm Pictures); The Argonomist and Man from Plains (Jonathan Demme); and Beah: A Black Woman Speaks (HBO). Kati has also lent her expertise to many feature films such as Woody Allen's Zelig, Broadway Danny Rose, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Alice; Greg Hoblit's Frequency and Hart's War; Jonathan Demme's The Manchurian Candidate; Bill Condon's Kinsey; and Mel Brooks's The Producers—The Movie Musical. 

In addition, Kati supervised Picture Research on the 565-page pictorial history of Atlantic Records, What’d I Say—The Atlantic Story, 50 Years of Music. She has shepherded several books to publication, including The Jazz Image, a history of jazz photography published by Abrams Books. She is also the Manager of the Carole Reiff Photo Archive, a collection of extraordinary jazz photos from the 1950s and 60s. 

After graduating from Mount Holyoke College, Kati taught dance and then went on to become the first Executive Director of the Northern Berkshire Council of the Arts, where she was responsible for designing, promoting, and running a wide variety of arts programs for fifteen diverse towns in Northern Berkshire County. 

In New York, Kati is on the Advisory Board of Dancing With Horses, a unique dance company creating dances for horses, equestrians and dancers. In 2003, she was a Producer on the First Annual Nightlife Awards, given for the best NYC nightclub performances in Cabaret, Comedy, and Jazz. Kati was the Co-Producer of the Theatre World Awards in 2006 and 2007.

I noticed a new thread on this forum regarding a new book in the planning stages to be published by Jordi Pujol who owns Fresh Sound Records. Obviously, the Reiff archive contains numerous photos of Birdland which would add greatly to this book. I hope that Jordi has established a generous budget for photos.

Jim

One could have the resume of Barack Obama and not legally own the copyright to these photos. What does this resume prove?

KATI MEISTER

In addition, Kati supervised Picture Research on the 565-page pictorial history of Atlantic Records, What'd I Say—The Atlantic Story, 50 Years of Music. She has shepherded several books to publication, including The Jazz Image, a history of jazz photography published by Abrams Books. She is also the Manager of the Carole Reiff Photo Archive, a collection of extraordinary jazz photos from the 1950s and 60s. 

Jim

..you're kidding, right? :blink:

Edited by sheldonm

• 6 years later...

Hi all

Know this is a long shot as people haven't been on this thread for quite a few years. I'm hoping that someone may be able to give me some information on Carole. I've seen that a few family members have been on this thread. There's really not too much information at all about Carole on the internet, which is surprising given her photography career. I'm a freelance writer and was hoping to write an article about her life - the idea came to me after flicking through Nights in Birdland the other week and seeing how little info their was about her online.  If anyone can help with this then please get in touch.

Regards.