Andy Williams, RIP

Hardbopjazz

His voice always reached me, even when I was barely old enough to know what I was listening to. I was about five when Moon River came out, and I think that was one of the first things that made me aware of my love of music. RIP, Andy.

Thanks for the vids, Jim.

I would submit this for a few minutes of focused listening. Check out the range, the power, the timing, the expression... the arrangement is pretty special, too...

I've been trying to revisit an interview with him on Fresh Air from about 3 or 4 years ago.

Can't find it. I seem to remember that they had an archive that you could search, but I can't seem

to find it either. Not my day. I'm guessing that some of the interview will be rebroadcast this week,

but it was a very pleasant one that I'd recommend hearing if any of you have the chance to find the whole thing.

Here is Williams' obit from the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-andy-williams-20120927,0,509480.story

It tells what I think is an extraordinary story. Four weeks before the Oscar television broadcast, Williams was given the gig to sing Moon River on it. He recorded that song and an entire album around it, and that album was in the stores the day after the broadcast. Four weeks!

RIP. Other than Canadian Sunset, I am unfamiliar with his work on Cadence, and I have long wanted to hear some. I remember that BMG offered a Cadence CD, but I never got around to ordering it.

These two album covers do not look to me like Columbia artwork. Do you think that they are both Cadence recordings?

http://www.oldies.com/product-view/64982.html?utm_source=OLDIES.com+Emails&utm_campaign=2b72a2e1e9-send_153&utm_medium=email

• 2 years later...