Bob Dunn: really not a very good soloist

AllenLowe

you know, I've been listening very closely to some Bob Dunn Cds - and he's really a very mediocre soloist; uses the same rhythmic figure over and over again, plays the same phrase over and over but on different chords, just not half as good as Junior Bernard, or a bunch of other Western Swing guitarists/fiddlers of that era.

he has an interesting sound, but is a very poor solost in jazz terms. Really.

As mentioned here before, I bought that Bob Dunn box shortly after it was mentioned here on this forum. And I am still very pleased with it.

I wouldn't be quite so harsh about Bob Dunn are but no doubt your judgment is musically better founded than my listener's/collector's/fans' impressions would be.

But my first listening impression of this 2-CD set indeed was some sort of "Steel guitar soloists' artistry sure progressed in leaps and bounds in the following years/decade up to the second half of the 40s. Bob Dunn is nice but what is ALL the fuss about him?"

Though maybe it would be not quite fair if you judge him (even subconsciously) by the yardstick of those you know came shortly AFTERWARDS. Maybe he just was the "state of the art" on country music steel guitar in his heyday? And IMO comparisons with soloists on other instruments would be a matter of apples and oranges, somehow.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I don't really know how many recordings are available, but have you heard Maurice Anderson? He worked with Bob Wills when he was younger. He remains an active player locally and his pedal steel guitars are held in high regard.

I have heard this man, and he can flat out play. He will uses chromaticism and modern jazz substitutions regularly. He can bop too.

If you like to hear heavy weight pedal steel playing, you should check Maurice (Reese) out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cygotr9e2ps

And then there was the late great Tommy Morrell. Yet he didn't play a pedal; he played a simple lap steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXNyuZoltQ&feature=relmfu

I had the fortune and blessing with working with him and Maurice.

Tommy's demons got the best of him, but he could get around very well too.