Help in Choosing a Mosaic Set

WarpedOrb

Hello Folks,

I walked into my favorite indie record store today and saw that they had acquired some jazz from an estate sale. Apparently the fellow was a little crazy in that he bought everything, but had so much stuff he rarely returned to things.

Two Mosaic sets are on display in the back, on the wall. :excited:

Mosaic Record's The Complete Art Hodes Blue Note Sessions and The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings (Ike Quebec & John Hardee).

The owner allowed me to put these aside for a week to decide which one to get. They're the CD sets. They're priced at $65 each & the plastic wrap is still on the CD cases.

Is there consensus on which is better or "a better find"? Heck, for $130 for the two, maybe I should buy both.

I'd like some advice from experienced Jazzbos.

Thank you

I looked at the list of OOP Mosaics. I had no idea those two are that early in the list. Those must be 20 years old. I hate buying if I'm not going to like the music, but even stuff I'm not usually in to like the HRS box I learned to love in time.

And from what I've read these should both be quite good. I guess it's one of those lucky finds I've only ever read about. Lucky me, but I would have rather had a real life Playboy Letter. :)

So, yes, I'll take both of 'em.

Thanks for the input guys.

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

The best Mosaic deal I ever stumbled into was the 4-CD Benny Goodman set (box, book and CD's, all in mint condition) that I found in a local jazz store for $45.00. This was before dealers realized the intrinsic value of OOP Mosaics and before eBay cornered the market. In other words, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

I looked at the list of OOP Mosaics. I had no idea those two are that early in the list. Those must be 20 years old. I hate buying if I'm not going to like the music, but even stuff I'm not usually in to like the HRS box I learned to love in time.

And from what I've read these should both be quite good. I guess it's one of those lucky finds I've only ever read about. Lucky me, but I would have rather had a real life Playboy Letter. :)

So, yes, I'll take both of 'em.

Thanks for the input guys.

You certainly won't regret that decision

Here's the Mosaic bargains that I've found in Australia (all in very good to mint condition) - amazing what turns up here secondhand

All bought in Brisbane & Sydney record shops

"The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions" 7CD $24.99 (bought a couple of months ago)

"The Complete BN Recordings of George Lewis" 5 LP $24.95 (bought in 1995)

"The Complete Chet Baker/Gerry Mulligan PJ/Capitol" 5LP $45 (bought in 1998)

"The Complete Ike Quebec/John Hardee BN" 4LP $45 (bought in 1998)

"The Complete Art Pepper Small Group Recordings" 3LP $25

Boy oh boy wish I had more money. I went back to get those and you won't believe what's for sale!

Volumes I, II, and III of Commodore Jazz Recordings ($200 ea. - but good deal no?)

Albert Ammons & Meade Lux

Blue Note Sydney Bechet

50s Teagarden

There were also dozens of still-sealed disney / childrens albums from early 60s

And Marlyn Monroe stuff incl. nude picture discs

I'd consider buying for someone if you're willing reimburse me! :h

Boy oh boy wish I had more money. I went back to get those and you won't believe what's for sale!

Volumes I, II, and III of Commodore Jazz Recordings ($200 ea. - but good deal no?)

Albert Ammons & Meade Lux

Blue Note Sydney Bechet

50s Teagarden

There were also dozens of still-sealed disney / childrens albums from early 60s

And Marlyn Monroe stuff incl. nude picture discs

I'd consider buying for someone if you're willing reimburse me! :h

Depending on their condition $200 each for those Commodore LP sets is a steal. They usually go for much more on eBay.

The two I bought were all still wrapped. The Commodores look like new barely played (if at all).

The estate is that of a local physician; the stuff showing up is pristine.

Still, i would only buy all three boxes and $645 with tax is too much even for a music geek like me (with newborn baby).

To my shame I'm considering though as an early Christmas gift to me and my daughter WILL be a jazz fan so she'll thank me - right? Haha

To my shame I'm considering though as an early Christmas gift to me and my daughter WILL be a jazz fan so she'll thank me - right? Haha

Even though these Mosaic sets will belong to your daughter, you will be responsible for their safe keeping while she grows into her legacy. Of course, as a steward of the music, you will be required you to play them from time to time to ensure that they are remain fully functional and to validate the investment you've made in your daughter's future. It's the least you can do.