BNLA Series, more 999 Yen reissues from EMI Japan

Daniel A

Yes. :) I never thought we would see the 70s Blue Note logo on any releases again (other than as part of original cover art), but here it is. It is certainly not bad in itself. It is just that it has become associated with everything that went wrong with BN in the 70s.

1172842.jpg

Case in point - I was playing a vinyl of this vintage of 'Time For Tyner' yesterday, Transamerica Corp. blue Label. Great LP and music but the pressing absolutely sucked !

Is that the one where one side is a Van Gelder cut and the other isn't? I agree that one it isn't the best. However, it seems to be an exception. In general, I've had good luck with these pressings when they have Van Gelder in the deadwax. Not so much luck when they don't.

Just checked - that's correct ! The 'Van Gelder' is on side 1 only. What I can only describe as 'excess static/noise' permeates the LP, especially on side 2.

Still, Linger Lane is supposed to be pretty awful, right?

I'm a fan of it ! Never warmed to 'Natural Illusions' though (once nearly bought an Applause LP pressing of it ;) )

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between all of the above, it looks like there are four Ronnie Foster lps being reissued. I know very little of his work - is any of it worthy, say in sort of a funk/groove kind of way? Would like the POV of someone other than the Bastards :cool:

Edited by Eric

Well, I went ahead and ordered Ronnie Foster "Live at Montreux" and GG "Live at the Lighthouse" from one of the previous batches. No one I know or asked has heard the Foster title which I'm quite shocked at because we're all into obscure titles here :)

But we are NOT into UA era Blue Notes here! And those BN Montreux albums were notorious in how briefly they were available. They were cut out before people even knew they were released. I was fortunate to get the Hutcherson Montreux as a cut out at Third Street Jazz back in the day, and it is something I would have bought new as soon as I saw it.

Well, I went ahead and ordered Ronnie Foster "Live at Montreux" and GG "Live at the Lighthouse" from one of the previous batches. No one I know or asked has heard the Foster title which I'm quite shocked at because we're all into obscure titles here :)

But we are NOT into UA era Blue Notes here! And those BN Montreux albums were notorious in how briefly they were available. They were cut out before people even knew they were released. I was fortunate to get the Hutcherson Montreux as a cut out at Third Street Jazz back in the day, and it is something I would have bought new as soon as I saw it.

That's true, I will have just 3 of the UA era BN's b/c I am not very into that era either. Well, that explains why no one has heard the other Montreux sets. I saw Donald Byrd recorded a set at Montreux that same day, and I'm surprised they didn't release that set especially after "Blackbyrd" was such a hit. Had Lee Morgan lived, since the album was originally intended for him, he might have gone down the heavily Mizell produced path too.

I found the Foster Montreux recording many years ago, solely because I was helping out a former member of our tribe in completing his Blue Note collection. But I didn't think I'd give a fair or helpful review since I didn't buy it for myself, didn't expect to like it, and didn't.

Foster's a different kind of organist, a lot of floating textures rather than outright burning which he can do. He does tend to lack tasteful material on a lot of his albums though. He does play Moog on it also, the cut I sampled on YT was the cover of Seals/Croft's "East of Ginger Trees", listened again, wasn't too bad.

FWIW, the Montreux series was NEVER released. All copies were dumped as cut-outs.

My copy of the Hutcherson isn't a cutout. Maybe the position was different in Britain than the USA? But it's a US pressing. Got it in '78 from one of the indie shops in Cardiff at the time.

MG

• 4 weeks later...

It is pretty "commercial" and stuff, but done pretty well, so I don't know if "pretty awful" is necessarily accurate...I mean, as far as "that kind of record" goes, it's actually pretty good. Bobby Hutcherson sounds good no matter what, in my experience.

Now, if you don't like "that kind of record", then this won't even begin to change your mind. But compared to, say, some of those World Pacific pop-jazz sides by Joe Pass, Bud Shank, Chet Baker, et al. Linger Lane is a freakin' treat! :rolleyes:

Freakin' treat indeed!! Had a beat-up lp forever and never listened to it, but have come back to the CD numerous times since I bought it. I'd say it is relatively close in feel to the stuff on the Hutch Select from a few years ago, maybe not quite as much "that kind of record" as you might think :g . There are some incidental vocals that float in and out but they fit just fine. Seventies vibe all the way :tup

Edited by Eric

• 2 months later...

images.jpg

A pretty good album, my first from the BNLA series. I hope there are a few more gems to be discovered, but given the series' repuation I should probably thread carefully.

That's a GREAT album. No, it is not typical of the BNLA series.

i know most here are praising this series, and i do love it too, but the 30-40 titles in my collection all have universally uninspiring mastering to them. which is quite odd because it's a characteristic that's consistent across the lt and la series - truncated high ends that cause an artificial and somewhat flattened sound, flatter than usual mid ranges. dark low ends. just an overall lack of clarity as compared to prior issues.

initially i thought this was due to the label budget for the series being low because of the pricepoint which means the transfer or mastering simply doesn't receive the treatment and care of other series. however, then i revisited titles from the prior 'jazz 999' series which do not suffer from this aural truncation whatsoever. then again, i could just be going deaf.

Edited by etherbored

i don't have, nor have i heard, that particular catalog number, but i do own two issues of 'total eclipse' (one american and one japanese) and they're quite different from a clarity perspective. again, however, we're deep into the 4200 series and something about some titles of this era of masters just isn't up to scratch. i know i can't be alone in what i hear... nonetheless, i'd wager that the issue of 4291 you're asking about may be as good as it gets. i just remember this date as not being as clear or sharp as others. insanely perfect material, of course. and finally, yes, that is a completely different series from a few years back. the 1100 yen price reflects the beginning of the global market softening.

Edited by etherbored