BNLA Series, more 999 Yen reissues from EMI Japan

Daniel A

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know the live one at all. The other one is ok enough, just not anything "special" compared to Who Is.... which kind of hits a zone.

The live one's pretty good (though very short), just a trio behind her. And "Woman of the Ghetto" from it was famously sampled for that acid jazz hit by St. Germain.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IDMgBxHcM5M

Was it the BN version that was sampled or the one on Chess (produced by Charles Stepney & containing some pre-EWF use of the kalimba by him)? I honestly don't know.

Don't know the live one at all. The other one is ok enough, just not anything "special" compared to Who Is.... which kind of hits a zone.

The live one's pretty good (though very short), just a trio behind her. And "Woman of the Ghetto" from it was famously sampled for that acid jazz hit by St. Germain.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IDMgBxHcM5M

Was it the BN version that was sampled or the one on Chess (produced by Charles Stepney & containing some pre-EWF use of the kalimba by him)? I honestly don't know.

Marlena Shaw Live at Montreux

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marlena Shaw Live at Montreux (also released as Marlena Shaw Live: Cookin' with Blue Note at Montreux) is a live album by American vocalist Marlena Shaw recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1973 and released on the Blue Note label.[1] Shaw's introduction to the track "Woman of the Ghetto" was sampled for St. Germain's album Tourist (2000).

you can order them from cdjapan.com. if you buy a few, the delivered price will be less than you can get them from other sources

See my post #26.

You gave the wrong address; the correct address is www.cdjapan.co.jp - here's the link again: CDJapan.

Edited by J.A.W.

I don't see Stepney's name on that label. Maybe I was wrong about his involvement?

He and Richard Evans are both given production credits on the 'Mixed Bag' album, so you're probably right regardless of the labeling on the single. I also agree with you about the original being strong. Two different musical experiences, both of value. She's interesting - another one of those singers who didn't fit categorization well and likely suffered commercially for it (primo examples are the great Terry Callier, Gil Scott-Heron, but there were others).

I don't see Stepney's name on that label. Maybe I was wrong about his involvement?

He and Richard Evans are both given production credits on the 'Mixed Bag' album, so you're probably right regardless of the labeling on the single. I also agree with you about the original being strong. Two different musical experiences, both of value. She's interesting - another one of those singers who didn't fit categorization well and likely suffered commercially for it (primo examples are the great Terry Callier, Gil Scott-Heron, but there were others).

Terry Callier. There's a name I don't hear enough of anymore. I was lucky enough to witness an intimate club gig in Australia in 2004 (I think). Callier with just Bass player and Percussionist. Didn't know much about him at all, went with no expectations. Witnessed one of the most memorable gigs I've ever seen. Not what I'd call a big crowd, but unforgettable night. Pure vocal music.

this is an important series for cd format. 1st off none of these titles were issued on cd during the early days of cd, or really any era- most of these were never on cd. 2nd-ly the fusion-y nature of these make these titles a perfect fit for the cd-fromat. HOWEVER.....what sources will be used, original mastertapes perhaps? this is the big sticker point with me. if these were really legit transfers, man id be all over it. but will i pay big bucks for a digital copy of a freakin DAT or a copy of the master? no way.

i have gene harris- in a special way, a tocj cd from some years ago....sound=AMAZING. ive passed on sealed copies of the vinyl im so happy with it on CD. i hope this current series sounds similar. does amazon carry these titles ever, or do you have to use cdjapan?

I've still not drank the Mizell Kool-Aid as originally packaged...but it does make great sampling fodder, I've heard any number of examples of this, so....I don't know what to make of that, other than maybe a whole box of prunes is too much to eat at a single sitting, but if you eat one or two at the right time, good things can be made to happen. Maybe the Mizell BN output is a giant box of prunes, and it's up to us the consumer to make proper use of it.

Or something.

I've still not drank the Mizell Kool-Aid as originally packaged...but it does make great sampling fodder, I've heard any number of examples of this, so....I don't know what to make of that, other than maybe a whole box of prunes is too much to eat at a single sitting, but if you eat one or two at the right time, good things can be made to happen. Maybe the Mizell BN output is a giant box of prunes, and it's up to us the consumer to make proper use of it.

Or something.

Definitely the something. I have not ever kept a Mizell anything in my collection. Had mercifully forgotten about the whole "A New Note on Blue Note" marketing schtick. I did like the bold blue record label from that era.

Or something.

Definitely the something. I have not ever kept a Mizell anything in my collection. Had mercifully forgotten about the whole "A New Note on Blue Note" marketing schtick. I did like the bold blue record label from that era.

Given all that, I do like what the Mizell brothers did on Johnny Hammond's Gambler's Life, their style was a good fit for the album, though that was released on the Salvation label, a subsidiary of CTI.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that the first Marlena BN (just titled Marlena) is not being included, which is no great loss, imo. Mostly generic George Butler/Wade Marcus voidity, although Richard Davis is on a cut or two, and...you can tell it right away b/c it's the only thing that really jumps up and out. Could - SHOULD - have been so much better with just a few better choices made at a few junctures.

Pulled out my copy of Who Is... to see what made such a difference between this and its two predecessors, and the answer jumped out just looking at the credits - Bernard Ingher. All over the place. So, no wonder.